WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Grandma Gatewood hiked the AT 3 times with nothing more than a duffel bag thrown over her shoulder? So, quit being a weenie, load up a nice 30-40L stuff sack (significantly less than a pound), throw it over your shoulder and head out.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I want something really good, and if I'm lucky enough to find it, I buy it.
    Price is secondary. Finding what I want, without compromise, is primary.

But I guess you can't do that if you ain't got no money.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I follow Mags's lead and I have a mix of expensive high-end gear, inexpensive "starter" gear and dirtbag substitutes.

For several years I used an ALPS Mountaineering pack that I got for under $70 at an REI garage sale. I had a lot of fun with it. It carried OK for me. My Granite Gear Crown VC60 is about 12 oz lighter and rather more comfortable, so I have incrementally more fun with it, but the cheaper and heavier pack didn't keep me from having fun.

I'm still using my REI Radiant 20 sleeping bag. One of these years, I might spring for a lighter one if I don't turn into a hammock hanger first. But it's true to rating and I sleep well in it.

Shoes - I've found that New Balance 610 with green Superfeet fit my feet. I've tried considerably more expensive options that didn't.

It's not the lightest stuff, nor the most expensive, nor yet the cheapest, nor yet the heaviest. It's good enough, and cheap enough, and I've had it out for a lot of miles on a lot of weekends. I've had a lot of fun with it, and isn't that what matters in a hobby?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

I just got a cheap "WASING 55L" for $53 off Amazon for my daughter to try, since it's her first true backpacking trip and we have no idea if she will love it or hate it... it seemed a better idea to go cheap initially. We take it out this weekend. It should arrive tomorrow. I will report back if it gets the job done well enough.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    …I have a mix of expensive high-end gear, inexpensive "starter" gear and dirtbag substitutes.

For several years I used an ALPS Mountaineering pack that I got for under $70 at an REI garage sale. I had a lot of fun with it. It carried OK for me. My Granite Gear Crown VC60 is about 12 oz lighter and rather more comfortable, so I have incrementally more fun with it, but the cheaper and heavier pack didn't keep me from having fun.

I'm still using my REI Radiant 20 sleeping bag. One of these years, I might spring for a lighter one if I don't turn into a hammock hanger first. But it's true to rating and I sleep well in it.

Shoes - I've found that New Balance 610 with green Superfeet fit my feet. I've tried considerably more expensive options that didn't.

It's not the lightest stuff, nor the most expensive, nor yet the cheapest, nor yet the heaviest. It's good enough, and cheap enough, and I've had it out for a lot of miles on a lot of weekends. I've had a lot of fun with it, and isn't that what matters in a hobby?

here here absolutely. I'm in the same camp. If ya really want to get out backpacking it rarely requires throwing the largest sum of $$$ at it. well said that IF you're going to spend the do re mi get the sleeping bag/quilt, pack and shoes right. Even then it doesn't always require buying the highest end pieces in these categories.

Leonidas

All this is summed up by saying, If the cheap gear fits and is comfortable, congrats for you! We tried the cheap pack option for my wife, it did fine on practice hikes but once we got out on the AT we realized that it was too short for her torso and it wasn't adjustable. $30 pack had multiple good reviews and youtube videos on it. Ended up dropping $170 at Neels for an Osprey that fit her perfect and made the trip way more enjoyable. Personally, I use the $100 Six Moon and it has been great.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    good enough, and cheap enough, and I've had a lot of fun with it, and isn't that what matters in a hobby?
    I think this sums it up perfectly.... Each of us will have different definitions of what "enough" is. HYOH... Right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
    I've been looking at ultralight packs but I don't get out enough to fork out $200-$300 USD; just trying to lighten my load mainly by taking less.
    I bought a second hand Spalding bag for $15, not a brand I'd normally buy but the price was right. This bag is around 3 pounds which is about half the weight of my Kelty bag.

So has anyone gone the cheap bag way rather than the expensive dedicated ultralight brands? People/books often say that with less weight the bags don't need to have heavy fabrics so it would stand that lightweight cheaper bags would last longer than if you overloaded them with traditional weight gear.
    You are off to a great start if you are beginning by lightening your pack weight!

Just to clarify - One absolutely can go out and have a great time with a less expensive pack. It all depends on how long you are going out at a time and how much you personally trust that specific piece of gear. One can get by on weekend trips with a less expensive pack...if it fits you and holds your stuff, then you are good to go. Would I trust this long run or on a longer hike? No, but whatever gets you out on the trail in the meantime.

Inspect the stitching - Heavier fabric does not necessarily translate to a longer lasting pack. Just because the fabric is heavier, it doesn't mean the stitching will hold. When things are mass-produced they are often run through big machines where the stitching might not be closely inspected. Thread weight would also be a concern of mine - If they used a lesser thread weight the stitched simply will not hold over time.

I wouldn't expect a $15 pack to last that long... Quality of craftsmanship is also something (in addition to lighter weights) that goes into the more expensive packs.

However, it sounds like you may have overlooked sales that are coming up, or buying from those who have (or have not finished) long hikes and are looking to sell their gear at a big discount. There are a whole bunch of really good new and used packs that are a "happy medium" to be had between the $15 and $200 prices you mention.

My preference is to find name brand gear in the discount rack, but most of my hiking clothing is bought from the clearance rack at Walmart...that way if it gets beat up, dirty or stinks too much I have no problem just throwing it away...I have a 30 degree sleeping bag that I got on sale for $39.99 that normally sold for more than double that price. If you are patient you can find a nice pack on sale for around $80. If you don't have the mentality of "I have to buy this right now" then you can usually find some good deals.

Even with high end name brand gear, of which I have a closet full, it is not required to always pay high end name brand full retail price. There are ways to dirtbag/get discounted name brand high end gear. This is what is largely in my gear closet. Many ways to get discounted gear like this: outdoor consignment/resale stores of new to slightly used to trashed gear(many stores out west), military surplus stores, discontinued styles/color/etc, Sierra Trading Post, last yr's models, out of season purchases, etc. I always try to buy gear especially clothing off season. You will rarely find me buying say a down parka that just arrived on the market fetching top ooh ahh got to have it dollar or during the season leading up to winter or during winter. Communicated here on WB many times there is also the DIY route that can get one the personally customized gear they want at a fraction of the price. One of the other positives of DIY gear is that it involves a greater knowing of your gear.

Images

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs...l?redirected=1

I just did a 6 day on the NCT with this baby. $100 best bargain out there.

My first pack was a surplus ILBE military pack. 9 lbs empty. Hunters and "outdoorsmen" love them... what did I know about hiking?

I discovered it was way too heavy, but I still didn't want to spend the money a "good" pack cost - so when I saw the JanSport Katadin 60 liter on sale for $60 on Campmor.com, I bought it on impulse. It weighs 4lbs 1oz - cutting 5lbs off my back for $60!

While I found it to be less than idea for my needs, it has been sufficient and comfortable enough. My biggest complaint with it is that the waist belt doesn't hold tension. I have to re-tighten the belt periodically when I notice that the weight is on my shoulders instead of on my hips.

By scanning the threads here, I will eventually find a link or suggestion that leads to a better pack - better suited to my needs.
    Many of the UL packs have a 30lb limit, and I haven't gotten my load under 30lbs yet, especially considering I do 1 week section hikes and often don't stop in the middle of that week to resupply, so 8 days of food is easily 16lbs. Add winter clothing and winter bag, and the total weight gets over 30lbs quickly.

Leonidas

$100 Six Moon Designs Fusion 2014. I carried 51 pounds in it From Springer... Only comfort issue I had was due to improper adjustment. I had it set to large and once that was squared up, it was great. Not saying anyone should carry 51 lbs of crap but I was trying to avoid resupply on a 10-day section.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    You are off to a great start if you are beginning by lightening your pack weight!

Just to clarify - One absolutely can go out and have a great time with a less expensive pack. It all depends on how long you are going out at a time and how much you personally trust that specific piece of gear. One can get by on weekend trips with a less expensive pack...if it fits you and holds your stuff, then you are good to go. Would I trust this long run or on a longer hike? No, but whatever gets you out on the trail in the meantime.

Inspect the stitching - Heavier fabric does not necessarily translate to a longer lasting pack. Just because the fabric is heavier, it doesn't mean the stitching will hold. When things are mass-produced they are often run through big machines where the stitching might not be closely inspected. Thread weight would also be a concern of mine - If they used a lesser thread weight the stitched simply will not hold over time.

I wouldn't expect a $15 pack to last that long... Quality of craftsmanship is also something (in addition to lighter weights) that goes into the more expensive packs.

However, it sounds like you may have overlooked sales that are coming up, or buying from those who have (or have not finished) long hikes and are looking to sell their gear at a big discount. There are a whole bunch of really good new and used packs that are a "happy medium" to be had between the $15 and $200 prices you mention.
    Like the advice on the wt of fabrics and stitching. The quality of stitching of seams is overall much better with companies that pay strict attention to these types of quality details such as Patagonia, Arc Teryx, etc who partner with higher quality sewers out of Vietnam, Mexico, parts of Asia, and some other Central America countries. It's part of what one pays for not just the brand name.

I know many who hike with thrift store finds. Like others have said, check out the stitching and before a big hike TRY IT OUT at home around the neighborhood with some weight in it (books or a 12 pack works). At least you get a rough idea how it feels. It's surprising how many people I run into that did not try out an important piece of gear before a big hike. Like the couple who had no idea how to set us their tent, nor was it seam sealed. Went straight from the box to pack.

Your pack is going to be your most important item besides your shelter. If you are going to invest any money into gear, I highly recommend getting a decent pack. I've looked at those $15 eBay backpacks and there is little to no padding on them. There is no support for the back at all unless you pack it right with a sleeping pad up against your back. You should invest at least $80-120 for a better pack. There are some lighter and cheaper packs out there but the volume is just too low for most people to carry all their gear in them. 3 pounds for a pack is on the higher side in my opinion. Put all your gear inside a plastic garbage bag and pack it down to size and then measure it and see what kind of pack it would likely all fit in. Finding out the liters you will need will narrow down what pack you will need and help you locate a decent price.

I did about 2/3 of the trail with a $45 Camp Trails pack. I can still hear it squeaking, occasionally, in my dreams.

Images

I've got a stansport willow supposed 75 L though I think it's more like 60 L weighs about 3lbs and its been serving me well for the last 3 years. Was a gift from my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    " whatever gets you out on the trail "
    ^ THIS !!

Hitch
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Journal Entries
    Images

I am at the point in fast packing where I am in the sub 6 lb base weight and have been experimenting with inexpensive packs in the 30/40L range and plan to start making videos of the different packs and reviews and how they carry over A forty mile day and etc.
    I have 5 packs ordered from ebay right now all they all range in the 12 to 14 oz range and are all 30/40L range,
    I guess my point is that as mentioned I do not necessarily think you have to spend 200 plus dollars to achieve what you need to achieve as ,ong as the planning is correct and kit is fine tuned to what you need it to be,
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++