WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Canister stove & pot question

I really like the convenience of a canister stove, I have the Optimus stove and pot that has the heat exchanger on it. As I am a gram counter I am looking to shave weight, but I really like the boil time of this setup. Any thoughts on getting a different pot (ti) that does not have a heat exchanger and do you think it would slow my boil time down/take more fuel? Love to hear experiences and preference.

If you go solo my favorite is the Snow Peak 700. With my Soto Micro regulator

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

soto micro stove looks nearly identical to the optimus except igniter.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    soto micro stove looks nearly identical to the optimus except igniter.
    MFG specs show soto to be 10grams lighter and burn 260W hotter at max than my optimus, however optimus folds up smaller. The pot is really the thing I am thinking about changing. Pretty sure I can save an additional 3-4 oz off current... just don't want to be bummed on boil times. If I don't get much feedback I will buy a ti pot and do some side by side boil tests to see if there really is that much difference; besides the added oz the heat exchanger has lots of prickly edges that catch or could cause cutting damage.

Be very careful. Do you have the Optimus Crux stove and Optimus Weekend HE cookset? Pictures would help.
    Once upon a time I was lusting for a fancy Ti pot to replace my ancient aluminum 1 liter pot and lid. Saving weight and all that. So I weighed my current cookset and looked at Ti 1 liter products and guess what? My antique pot & lid is lighter that Ti 1 liter pots. They cost several times more than my $10 pot. Aluminum transfers heat better than Ti. AND, my little pot holds TWO 110 gram MSR canisters.
    Long story short: Sometimes it's better to keep what you have and know.
    Now, go through your pack and see what you can remove for free and save some weight. For free!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

One of the lightest (and smallest, once folded for storage) is the SnowPeak MaxLite. In use, it's about the same size as an MSR Pocket Rocket. But pots on the MaxLite seem to be a little more stable as the arms fold flat where as the Pocket Rocket leaves the pot sitting on three needle points.

I paired my MaxLite with the MSR Titan Kettle. It used to make a perfect setup because the Kettle would perfectly fit the wide-base MSR fuel canisters (but MSR has changed the design of their 4oz canisters so that they are shaped like other ~4oz canisters).

A setup like this would be light weight and you wouldn't care about the extra fuel if you're looking at a weekend hike.
    For long distance hikes, you might want to consider Jet Boil. I couldn't believe how fuel efficient that thing was (when you set it up in protected spots and don't cook things that need long simmer times). On a recent 16 night JMT thru hike, I bought a 4oz canister at Red's Meadows on day 5. On day 9 (my last resupply point) I bought another 4oz canister expecting the 1st one to run out before the end of the trip. It didn't. I only used it for dinner meals and never used the one I bought on day 9. Not only that, I had to run the canister at full blast for 10 minutes to get the remaining fuel to burn off so I could throw the canister away.

I could easily see an 8oz canister lasting for 3 to 4 weeks if all you need is fuel for dinners.

Go stoveless.

Snow peak lite max and a Evernew 750mL pot. 2oz stove/3.5 oz pot. I am very happy with this set up. Light, fast, easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest doing the comparison.
    I don't know how the optimus pot compares to the Jetboil, but it seems like the fuel savings would be worth it to carry the extra few ounces.

My hiking partner has a jetboil, while I have a SP Gigapower and a 1.3L Ti pot. Even using the proprietary wind guard for the Giga stove, it takes twice as long for me to boil water as it does for him with the jetboil. Therefor, a week on the trail requires 2 small fuel canisters for me and only one for him - both of us boiling for breakfast and dinner.

So, if it is that much more efficient, the extra few ounces may be worth it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    If you go solo my favorite is the Snow Peak 700. With my Soto Micro regulator

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I use this setup and love it. I just had an issue with my Soto stove and got awesome customer service, great company.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

This is the set up I currently use. Really has been great but that itch to shave a few more ounces. Maybe I should just find a different lid/pan and save the weight there since I only use it for a lid any how? 3 years so far and I really am impressed with how fast it boils water and also simmer with it too; I have made a wicked good pasta sauce in it on Whitney at about 11,000ft.
    I just cant go without a "positive shut off" as most of my hiking is in Northern CA Sierras and restrictions are almost guaranteed . I am a coffee drinker in the am and like a hot cup of tea in the eve.

Any suggestions are welcome!

This is the set up I currently use. Really has been great but that itch to shave a few more ounces. Maybe I should just find a different lid/pan and save the weight there since I only use it for a lid any how? 3 years so far and I really am impressed with how fast it boils water and also simmer with it too; I have made a wicked good pasta sauce in it on Whitney at about 11,000ft.
    I just cant go without a "positive shut off" as most of my hiking is in Northern CA Sierras and restrictions are almost guaranteed . I am a coffee drinker in the am and like a hot cup of tea in the eve.

Any suggestions are welcome!
    I found the collapsible silicone cups in Walmart fit the top of my 900ml SP Ti pot perfectly...used for a lid and then used it for coffee, dual purpose item. I don't care for coffee so I quit taking the cup but it was still a cheap and lighter idea than carrying both the lid and a coffee cup

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Go stoveless.
    Or use an alcohol or Esbit burner (or even a wood stove). Takes a little longer, but A LOT lighter.
    I think an aluminum pot will be a little more efficient than a titanium pot if you want to give up the heat exchanger (Stanco Grease Pot for example).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Or use an alcohol or Esbit burner (or even a wood stove). Takes a little longer, but A LOT lighter.
    I think an aluminum pot will be a little more efficient than a titanium pot if you want to give up the heat exchanger (Stanco Grease Pot for example).
    You must have missed the part about California rules and a shut off valve on the stove.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Why are you hung up on boil time???
    Does a couple minutes really matter to you???

As was said once " if your in such a hurry, why are you walking?"

Boil time is irrelevant unless multiple people are sharing a stove. Imo.

Weight is more important.....if you try to carry as little as possible. If not...it aint.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-26-2016 at 21:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You must have missed the part about California rules and a shut off valve on the stove.
    Wayne
    Yes, did miss that. I know there are areas that require the shut off. I'm a rule follower. But it depends on the area in question. For example, you may still be able use Esbit and maybe alcohol too as fuel on the JMT. You could when I hiked it in 2014. An Esbit tab cannot be spilled and can be blown out with a strong breath just like a candle can. IMO at least as safe as a canister stove if rules permit it. I've seen canister stoves tip over while lit, creating a potential spread of fire. Never seen or heard of that happening with Esbit. Danger of alcohol stoves because of the spill risk is higher than Esbit IMO.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I found the collapsible silicone cups in Walmart fit the top of my 900ml SP Ti pot perfectly...used for a lid and then used it for coffee, dual purpose item. I don't care for coffee so I quit taking the cup but it was still a cheap and lighter idea than carrying both the lid and a coffee cup
    What kind of pot is that? I have been using an Olicamp XTS which looks very similar, but is a bit larger and heavier than I need. I'm curious how much this one weighs (without the lid). I too would swap that for an UL lid.

Oops I replied to the wrong post. I was asking about the pot posted by poolskaterx

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

..I am looking to shave weight...
    You might want to check out this list I put together a few years ago when questions on the lightest setup came up.

If you're doing a hike that is short enough that even an inefficient stove will not use up a ~4oz cylinder, then you can have a setup that is <6oz. as there are stoves that are <2 oz. and pots <4oz. (Note: My choice of LiteMax and Titan Kettle come in at 6.1oz.)

The Optimus Crux (I think that's what you have pictured) has specifications of >9oz.

Note that I believe the JetBoil MicroMo is about equivalent to the old aluminum version of the SOL. The MicroMo is quoted at about 12oz... but if you leave off things like the cup that goes on the bottom, it would push the weight closer to the ~10oz the combination of JetBoil stove and AL-SOL come to (not sure if the newer stove with simmer capability that comes with the Mini/Micro Mo weights more than the stove quoted on the list).

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Oops I replied to the wrong post. I was asking about the pot posted by poolskaterx
    It is the Weekend HE cook set that comes with the optimus stove. I'm gonna put it on the scale and find out what it "really weighs".

MuddyWaters, its not so much about just the boil time, or just the oz, or even the size; I think it is about all of those things. I get by just fine with my kit the way it is but experimenting with my hobby and refining my backpacking craft is fun for me; if it were not for experimenting and research I would still be lugging around a 45-50lb pack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++