WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I'll have this one perfected by the end of Sept. Spilled fuel doesn't catch fire.

And this one has a slide type shutoff valve. Good for those hiking California. Will have those available in October.

You can definitely save weight w/ a pot that doesn't have those heat exchangers. From what I gather, they do help boil faster & use less fuel. Probably not as much as they claim. I'm not sure what your pot weighs. A similar pot, Olycamp XTS pot, weighs 7.8 oz on my scale. I haven't used it in the field yet. Here's a video review of that pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFt-c33pyA
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    You can definitely save weight w/ a pot that doesn't have those heat exchangers. From what I gather, they do help boil faster & use less fuel. Probably not as much as they claim. I'm not sure what your pot weighs. A similar pot, Olycamp XTS pot, weighs 7.8 oz on my scale. I haven't used it in the field yet. Here's a video review of that pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFt-c33pyA
    I use that pot. It is very nice and bomb proof, but not UL. You can shave a couple of oz by fabricating a lighter lid (it comes with a silicone lid that snaps in place, but rather heavy). You can also swap out the handles which are heavy chrome steel with silicone grips. They can snap on and off in seconds with no damage to handles or pot. I made copies out of clothes hanger wire that weigh much less. The insulated grips are not really necessary. The handles are mounted high up the side and the heat exchanger is efficient enough so that little heat get to the handles. I like the hard anodized coating (clean up has been easy). I like the dimensions which are close to 1:1 diameter:height ratio. This gives a pot with the maximum volume for surface area. Having a low surface area minimized weight and heat loss. I also find them easy to cook in and eat from (I'm more likely to spill with a wide pot and it's harder to reach the food at the bottom of a tall pot).

--------------Optimus Cruz HE weekender set-------------------------
    IMG_1942.JPGIMG_1943.JPGIMG_1944.JPG
    ...........7.5 oz.......................2.7oz.................... ..3.05oz............

Maybe not ultra UL but compared to the propane single burner I used to pack, it is pretty light.

The kit nests very nicely with big canister of fuel, small camp towel, lighter, spoon, small chunk of sponge/scrubby.

I'll be looking into some of the cook systems others have mentioned to see if I can lighten my kit up some, please know that I have been very pleased with the performance of this kit but am looking forward to shaving more weight.

had a title error (typo Cruz vs Crux)

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    --------------Optimus Crux HE weekender set-------------------------
    ...........7.5 oz.......................2.7oz.................... ..3.05oz............

Maybe not ultra UL but compared to the propane single burner I used to pack, it is pretty light: Optimus Crux HE weekender set

The kit nests very nicely with big canister of fuel, small camp towel, lighter, spoon, small chunk of sponge/scrubby.

I'll be looking into some of the cook systems others have mentioned to see if I can lighten my kit up some, please know that I have been very pleased with the performance of this kit but am looking forward to shaving more weight.

Normally I use an alcohol setup for 3 season, but occasionally a light (4.9 oz) canister combo that consists of an MSR Titan kettle, 4Dog lid and BRS-3000T stove, showing basic elements for apples-to-apples comparison purposes. Of course a complete cook kit includes fuel, windscreen, spoon and mini bic lighter and stuff sack, so the whole enchilada with a fresh 100g canister weighs about 14oz.

titan_BRS.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-01-2016 at 20:53.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    One of the lightest (and smallest, once folded for storage) is the SnowPeak MaxLite. In use, it's about the same size as an MSR Pocket Rocket. But pots on the MaxLite seem to be a little more stable as the arms fold flat where as the Pocket Rocket leaves the pot sitting on three needle points.
    +1 for the SP MaxLite, which I use with the SP 600ML Ti cup. Together they weigh ~5.2 ounces. Stove folds down and fits in bottom of cup, 100ml fuel canister fits inverted in top of cup. All of that fits into the mesh bag the cup came in.

Most days on the trail I use mine twice- boiling water for morning coffee and more water for dinner. For me, the small canisters last at least a week. Only thing remotely special I do is find or make a sheltered spot to cook in before lighting the stove.
    "Healthy, Free, The World Before Me, The Long Brown Path Before Me Leading Wherever I Choose." - Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    --------------Optimus Cruz HE weekender set-------------------------

Maybe not ultra UL but compared to the propane single burner I used to pack, it is pretty light.

Was hoping this might save some weight over the Olicamp, but it doesn't look like it would.

That msr Titan kettle and 4 dog lid looks pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Normally I use an alcohol setup for 3 season, but occasionally a light (4.9 oz) canister combo that consists of an MSR Titan kettle, 4Dog lid and BRS-3000T stove, showing basic elements for apples-to-apples comparison purposes. Of course a complete cook kit includes fuel, windscreen, spoon and mini bic lighter and stuff sack, so the whole enchilada with a fresh 100g canister weighs about 14oz.

titan_BRS.jpg
    what is wrong with the MSR Titan lid?..

Was gonna ask the same thing

Curiosity about the Olicamp XTS pot got me googling again, and I came across this forum thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/8603507/1

In the thread, a couple of the members bought the XTS pot and did some comparisons with a SnowPeak Ti cup/pot (600 or 900?) and various stoves. Some of the results were surprising. For example, using the Gigapower stove, the boil times were about the same between the two pots. Using the Pocket Rocket stove, the boil times in the XTS pot were much faster. Apparently, the giga stove shoots the flames "out" more than "up" which doesn't utilize the heat sink fins of the XTS pot to any practical amount. This is why I bought a large (wide) pot for my Giga stove after looking at the flame pattern.

So, if I had bought this stove for my Giga to save fuel, it would have been a waste of $30. However, the pocket rocket or similar stoves that essentially shoot their flames straight up would be a great kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    what is wrong with the MSR Titan lid?..
    IKR?
    Since Santa was super nice to me this year, that kettle was under the tree next to the Ghost Whisperer. I'd love to know what is so wrong with the OEM lid that there is an aftermarket one!!!!

Doing away with the Optimus TerraSolo anodized Al cookset...loved the handles on the pot, but it was too small(600ml) for two and we never used the fry pan for it's intended purpose...saved 5 ounces, right there!!! The darn things are so reasonably priced that I doubt there is a secondary market...so, into the spare gear container bin it goes...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE MSR TITAN KETTLE LID?

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

titan_BRS.jpg
    Did you use wire splice shrink wrap(yellow) on the handles?

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Curiosity about the Olicamp XTS pot got me googling again, and I came across this forum thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/8603507/1

In the thread, a couple of the members bought the XTS pot and did some comparisons with a SnowPeak Ti cup/pot (600 or 900?) and various stoves. Some of the results were surprising. For example, using the Gigapower stove, the boil times were about the same between the two pots. Using the Pocket Rocket stove, the boil times in the XTS pot were much faster. Apparently, the giga stove shoots the flames "out" more than "up" which doesn't utilize the heat sink fins of the XTS pot to any practical amount. This is why I bought a large (wide) pot for my Giga stove after looking at the flame pattern.

So, if I had bought this stove for my Giga to save fuel, it would have been a waste of $30. However, the pocket rocket or similar stoves that essentially shoot their flames straight up would be a great kit.
    This makes sense based on my experiences with this pot. I use the Olicamp XTS pot with an eCHS alcohol stove. This stove is designed to focus the flames on the center of the pot (unlike most alcohol stoves). However once I tried using the XTS pot with a side burning Super Cat stove with disastrous results. When I lifted the pot, the entire bottom of the pot was engulfed in flames. It seems that the powerful, but inefficient stove, was spewing out unburned alcohol fumes. Because this type of stove sets right on the bottom of the pot, the flames were in the enclosed space under the heat exchanger and this may have contributed to an oxygen deficiency that inhibited complete combustion. Or perhaps this is how a Super Cat always works with a wide flame pattern and flames coming up the side with a lot of combustion is taking place far away from the stove. But when used with the XTS pot, the unburned alcohol fumes condensed on the cool condensing coils and then reignited giving a flaming pot. My eCHS stove sets a couple of inches below the pot and has a narrow flame so combustion is compete inside the heat exchanger ring. This combination gives both efficiency and power that is unusual for an alcohol system.

I have not used the XTS with a canister stove, but have considered doing this. An issue with this system is how wide are the pot supports? If the pot supports are narrow, then the stove will rest on the bottom of the pot, inside the heat exchanger ring. If the pot supports are wide enough, then the stove rests on the ring giving a bit more gap between the stove and the bottom of the pot. Based on my experience, this would be the optimum configuration along with a narrow flame pattern. However it seems that some stoves have pot supports that are just slightly larger than the inner diameter of the heat exchanger. This could be a problem as they would be to big to fit inside the exchanger to rest the pot on the bottom of the stove, but unstable with only the tips of the pot supports resting on the heat exchangers.

So for matching an XTS pot with a canister stove, there are some measurements to worry about. The inner diameter of the heat exchanger ring is about 2+7/8 inch. So you would need your pot supports to be about 4" in diameter to get a 1/2" of support on each leg of the pot support. For some of the ultralight and ultracheap canister stoves, I think the pot supports are not wide enough to support this very well, but I haven't seen this specification listed anywhere. Also the heat exchanger is 1/2" tall, so when resting on the heat exchanger the burner will be 1/2" further from the bottom of the pot than when used on a conventional flat bottom pot. A flame pattern that will extend 1/2" higher while staying inside the ~3" diameter would be best, I think.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I always joke with a fellow hiker that bought a titanium pot to say on weight. It cost $50. Yes, TI is strong and lighter than steel, but not aluminum.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I too put some heat shrink wrap on my titan kettle handles.

IKR?
    Since Santa was super nice to me this year, that kettle was under the tree next to the Ghost Whisperer. I'd love to know what is so wrong with the OEM lid that there is an aftermarket one!!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE MSR TITAN KETTLE LID?

TIA!
    I use a Titan Kettle. I wouldn't say there's anything really wrong with the lid, but it does seem to 'stick' just a bit. I use both hands when I want to remove the lid - one on the pot handle and the other on the lid.

-FA

Oh. I prefer that since I store my stove and fuel can inside!

No, that's Sugru. But frankly it doesn't help that much... still gets hot! Silicone tubing would be better, just gotta get some.

Regards to the lid, as noted, it sticks which I find annoying. I just prefer the 4Dog, and as a side bonus it also happens to be lighter. And it starts rattling as the water nears boiling.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-28-2016 at 19:16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++