WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good Man Gramps (AT Class of 2016)

Didn't see anywhere else suitable, so here it is.

March 1st-August 7th:
    (with a week off in the middle to visit family)

It was a fantastic adventure. Highly suggested.

Met some pretty cool people, was the last thing I expected.

Posted a daily trail journal to my blog, didn't miss a day. Feel free to check it out (bemental.me

Well I think I may be the first one here to offer my congrats, but I'll bet you have heard it several times already! So proud for you, & you DO look happy at the top there! So, are you going to hike back to GA now? �� Will look forward to reading your journal & seeing your photos! Yeaaa you!!

PS - tell us about your trail name?

Leonidas

Congrats! CDT or PCT next?
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Leonidas

Reading through your journal now, great pics! It's funny to see people that I know from watching the videos from this year.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    PS - tell us about your trail name?
    Mainly to do with my (grand)fatherly demeanor/tendencies.

There was a group of 'youngsters' who I hiked with for a few weeks at the beginning... definitely ended up looking after them, that is before they all started getting hurt and dropping off trail.

A girl named McGoober (MacGyver at first) named me, primarily because she thought I was a good guy.

It all came together.

Well I think I may be the first one here to offer my congrats, but I'll bet you have heard it several times already! So proud for you, & you DO look happy at the top there! So, are you going to hike back to GA now? �� Will look forward to reading your journal & seeing your photos! Yeaaa you!!
    Thanks TW, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Reading through your journal now, great pics! It's funny to see people that I know from watching the videos from this year.
    Settling down, most likely.

Got out of the service last year, told the wife I needed to take some time off and try and get right with myself.

We'll see what's next ;)

Journal Entries
    Images

Congratulations. I started reading your trail journal, and will continue. Am curious. How did you maintain the discipline to write every day, and how did you store it while on the trail? My hope is to hike far in 2017. Meanwhile am living through other's great accomplishments, including yours. Good luck with your future plans.

USMC taught me well.

In all honesty, some days were harder than others, but I reduced as many barriers to keeping a journal as possible.

I used a Text Expander shortcut for the header, Guthooks for determining mileage easily, and over the course of a few weeks it just became routine, a part of my day.

Mainly, I did it for my wife though. Being apart isn't easy, especially when you're not the one doing something each day. Journaling, and posting to a blog, really helped her (and others), connect with me while I was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have to say that I appreciate someone who keeps up the journal every day too. I know that's difficult out there (been there, done a "paper" journal, never an online one), and the fatigue at the end of the day (and sometimes the rain, the cold, the heat, the hunger) can really beat you into the ground. So again, thumbs up to you! It's disappointing to me to begin reading someone's journal at the beginning with all their enthusiasm and their excitement only to have it become a fizzle by Virginia, and then completely quit sometimes.

Wish I could have hiked with you this year Good Man Gramps. . . you sound like a great hiking companion! Again, congrats!

Images

Congrats, man. Very cool.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Well I have to say that I appreciate someone who keeps up the journal every day too. I know that's difficult out there (been there, done a "paper" journal, never an online one), and the fatigue at the end of the day (and sometimes the rain, the cold, the heat, the hunger) can really beat you into the ground. So again, thumbs up to you! It's disappointing to me to begin reading someone's journal at the beginning with all their enthusiasm and their excitement only to have it become a fizzle by Virginia, and then completely quit sometimes.

Wish I could have hiked with you this year Good Man Gramps. . . you sound like a great hiking companion! Again, congrats!
    Thanks TW, I appreciate the sentiments :)

Again, it was a blast - highly recommend if you can take the time off and ace up the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Congrats, man. Very cool.
    Thanks BC!

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Mainly, I did it for my wife though. Being apart isn't easy, especially when you're not the one doing something each day. Journaling, and posting to a blog, really helped her (and others), connect with me while I was gone.
    This!

I thruhiked Ontario's Bruce Trail in May and June. Wonderful experience! Near the beginning I met Kookork (from this forum) and we hit it off very well, sticking together for the remaining 43 days. The was the best Spring for me as a botanist Tracing Spring Northwards. Very little rain, very few bugs, wonderful flowers, great companionship, amazing assistance from so many friends and family along the way!
    I, too, blogged daily. <brucetraillium.wordpress.com>
    The discipline of daily blogging came easily. I looked forward to the anticipation, the reflection, and also the wonderful sense of social connection via the folks who followed me along the trail.
    My thanks to my wife who enabled this, to Kookork for sharing and teaching, and to the many trail angels along the way!

Bruce Traillium

Thanks for posting your journal. I have been reading it the last few hours, as I sit in a plane,and have greatly enjoyed it.

++ New Posts ++