WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default How to get on the trail when the world seems against you?

Sorry if this sounds like I am dumping but I really need some advice. I decided to try and start a gofundme to try and help raise funds for my thru hike. After over 6 months no one even donated a dollar so I ended the campaign. I basically said since no one seems to care I am ending the campaign, and my mother commented with "Good idea." like giving up on my dream of walking the AT in general was a good idea.

I don't know why my family is so against me going on the trail. Between my mom constantly telling me I never follow through with anything I want to do, and my aunt actively looking for people dying on the trail to try and scare me away from the idea, I feel like I'll never get anyone who will help me get on the trail. I'll admit the gofundme thing may not have been a good idea, but I have seen people do the same thing and raise money for lesser goals.

But the reason I am writing this is because I need some advice. how do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? I swear, they don't think I can take care of myself. I am turning 42 this Saturday, and I still feel trapped by my family. How do I get out of this trap?

Images

Here's an idea: get a job and save your money. You're 42 right?

LOL. Good post. I'm sure some will take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Here's an idea: get a job and save your money. You're 42 right?
    IHA ve a job now, and am living hand to mouth. I deliver sandwiches for Jimmy John's. The best thing though is because of where my store is located I get a 10% discount at the local outfitter Alabama Outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    LOL. Good post. I'm sure some will take it seriously.
    I hope so. My main concern is how to convince my family the AT is safe when all they can see are the horror stories that come out about it over Facebook.

Grow up. Get an education (if not already) or develop some skills. Get a decent job or career. Become a section hiker. Life sucks and you can't always do what you want. Deal with it and adapt. Sorry if this seems too bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Grow up. Get an education (if not already) or develop some skills. Get a decent job or career. Become a section hiker. Life sucks and you can't always do what you want. Deal with it and adapt. Sorry if this seems too bunt.
    Thanks you Captain Obvious. My problem is letting my family understand the trail is safe so they will at least support my dream emotionally not financially. As for getting an education, I have tried, and it was too damn expensive. I may try again next year once I have proof of residency and my tuition will be less.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I hope so. My main concern is how to convince my family the AT is safe when all they can see are the horror stories that come out about it over Facebook.
    Show them the actual crime statistics. Look all over this site and you'll see threads citing data or perhaps look at the ATC site. Not to jump all over you, but perception of trail crime not the real issue here. It seems to be that you are using lack of money and family disapproval as easy excuses not to do this. At 41 its beyond the time to develop some independence and self confidence. If you really want to attempt a thru, then put on the big boy hiking pants and do it. Get any job instead of asking relatives and strangers for money; stop asking for permission that you don't need, and decide if you really want to do this. If you do, then go do it. It would be a good experience on a number of levels.

Leonidas

Not sure why you need their support, if it is something you want to do, do it.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

42 and delivering Jimmy Johns....maybe your family thinks the 6 months on the AT would be better spent trying to further yourself and upgrade your job. But, I'm probably responding to a troll...

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like I am dumping but I really need some advice. I decided to try and start a gofundme to try and help raise funds for my thru hike. After over 6 months no one even donated a dollar so I ended the campaign. I basically said since no one seems to care I am ending the campaign, and my mother commented with "Good idea." like giving up on my dream of walking the AT in general was a good idea.

I don't know why my family is so against me going on the trail. Between my mom constantly telling me I never follow through with anything I want to do, and my aunt actively looking for people dying on the trail to try and scare me away from the idea, I feel like I'll never get anyone who will help me get on the trail. I'll admit the gofundme thing may not have been a good idea, but I have seen people do the same thing and raise money for lesser goals.

But the reason I am writing this is because I need some advice. how do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? I swear, they don't think I can take care of myself. I am turning 42 this Saturday, and I still feel trapped by my family. How do I get out of this trap?
    Why did you think that spending your limited time to get someone else to pay for your thru hike was a good idea? I have not done a thru hike yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a proper work ethic will help your chance of success and enjoyment on the trail considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Show them the actual crime statistics. Look all over this site and you'll see threads citing data or perhaps look at the ATC site. Not to jump all over you, but perception of trail crime not the real issue here. It seems to be that you are using lack of money and family disapproval as easy excuses not to do this. At 41 its beyond the time to develop some independence and self confidence. If you really want to attempt a thru, then put on the big boy hiking pants and do it. Get any job instead of asking relatives and strangers for money; stop asking for permission that you don't need, and decide if you really want to do this. If you do, then go do it. It would be a good experience on a number of levels.
    I'm not asking for money, not anymore. I have a job (though not the best one) and I am saving up my money. At this rate though I may be able to hit the trail in the next 10 years, but I am getting my gear as I have the money. And no I am not trying to use lack of funds or my family's disapproval as an excuse no to do this. While lack of funds is a real hurdle I need to jump, I want my family to at least support me emotionally on the trail. I have a good family life, but they just can't see me as anything but a failure to launch case. This is part of the reason I want to thru hike, to prove to myself I can do something and take care of myself.

I'm guessing you also live in your parents home, don't pay rent or help with chores. Maybe that's why they think you can't take care of yourself.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    42 and delivering Jimmy Johns....maybe your family thinks the 6 months on the AT would be better spent trying to further yourself and upgrade your job. But, I'm probably responding to a troll...
    No, you are not responding to a troll, and I work for Jimmy John's because it is the only place that would hire me with a 6 year gap in my work history because I was taking care of my Grandmother until she passed away, then going to school to try and get a better job only to find out to get my Masters, I needed to pay through the nose even after over 9000 in student loans because I have a few credits from out of state from almost 20 years ago.

But on that note, i am at least able to save my tips up to get myself on the trail eventually, since my paycheck is all spent on food, insurance and gas.

You have a 42 year track record that speaks louder than words.

The idea of a gofundme for a hike speaks to your sense of entitlement and reliance on others. A good hike will be good for you (or anyone!). Save a bit, start small

No, I live with my aunt, because I was helping to take care of my Grandmother who was suffering with Dementia until she passed away in 2012. Then I went to school and Graduated in 2015, with an associates, but when I tried to continue my education to get a real job it cost too much at the time so I am saving up with the job I have now, paying the only bills I have, as well as covering my own gas and food. And yes I do chores around the house as well. Also it would have just been parent since my father died last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    You have a 42 year track record that speaks louder than words.

The idea of a gofundme for a hike speaks to your sense of entitlement and reliance on others. A good hike will be good for you (or anyone!). Save a bit, start small
    OK, you have a point. But I never hear people saying things like this about others who start gofundme campaigns to say, pay for a vacation to Disney World because they just got out of the hospital and can't afford it on their own. I am saving now, and I'll be damned if I don't get on the trail before I hit 65.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Not sure why you need their support, if it is something you want to do, do it.
    Because I love them, and don't want them to be afraid for me.

You are a grown man at 42! Get off the tit! Get a second job etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

You sound very immature for a 41 year old. This said, I'm wondering why you think a thru-hike would be of benefit to you? To have a successful thru-hike you must have a positive attitude and a sense of self-assurance. From reading your post, you just don't have it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++