WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Water availability in GA - Aug/Sep

I'm starting a one week section hike heading North from Springer next week & was hoping for some last minute tips/updates about the water availability right now. I will be finishing up around Unicoi Gap.

If you get in touch with the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega they would most likely be able to tell you all you need to know.

Plenty of water on the trail......

I'm also interested in any info. Probably going to be on the trail from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi over the Labor Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Plenty of water on the trail......
    Posts like this make this site dangerous. Water is a problem right now in GA. Currently there is no water at Black Gap Shelter, Springer, Stover Creek Shelter, Woody Gap, Jarrard Gap, Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek spring, etc.

Basically no water from Amicolola until Stover Creek (not shelter), Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek (always, but Ron Brown tries to keep water jugs at Cooper Gap),Gooch Gap to Lance Creek, Lance Creek to Neels Gap, Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter. And I was speaking with Ron Brown a couple of days ago and he confirmed that it is ever worse the further north you go.

Yeah, we have had quite a bit of rain lately but that has little effect on springs. Our dry Winter and Spring pretty much will keep the springs dry well into the fall. All the creeks are running well due to the rain, but most water sources here in GA are springs and they are mostly dry.

Be prepared to carry a larger water supply than normal and check with all oncoming hikers for the next source. I keep pretty good first hand knowledge from Springer to Neels. Ron Brown is keeping a fairly updated water report on his Face Book page so you can check there for points further north.

The piped spring at the Whitly Gap shelter was flowing strong last weekend (August 14th).

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Posts like this make this site dangerous. Water is a problem right now in GA. Currently there is no water at Black Gap Shelter, Springer, Stover Creek Shelter, Woody Gap, Jarrard Gap, Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek spring, etc.

Basically no water from Amicolola until Stover Creek (not shelter), Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek (always, but Ron Brown tries to keep water jugs at Cooper Gap),Gooch Gap to Lance Creek, Lance Creek to Neels Gap, Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter. And I was speaking with Ron Brown a couple of days ago and he confirmed that it is ever worse the further north you go.

Yeah, we have had quite a bit of rain lately but that has little effect on springs. Our dry Winter and Spring pretty much will keep the springs dry well into the fall. All the creeks are running well due to the rain, but most water sources here in GA are springs and they are mostly dry.

Be prepared to carry a larger water supply than normal and check with all oncoming hikers for the next source. I keep pretty good first hand knowledge from Springer to Neels. Ron Brown is keeping a fairly updated water report on his Face Book page so you can check there for points further north.
    Thank you this is extremely helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Sorry for the double reply, just want to make sure I am understanding your post correctly. You are saying that Gooch, Lance, & Neels all do have water currently? I just checked out Ron Brown's page as well. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeetHike View Post
    Sorry for the double reply, just want to make sure I am understanding your post correctly. You are saying that Gooch, Lance, & Neels all do have water currently? I just checked out Ron Brown's page as well. Thank you!
    That is correct. I would fill up at the Gooch Shelter instead of at Gooch Gap. The stream at Gooch Gap is quite a ways down hill and the piped spring at the shelter is running very well and need not be treated IMO. (I drink from it several times a week)

Enjoy your hike.

Great info. Was going to do an overnighter to Springer Mtn. on the approach trail on Monday. I guess I'll need to rethink that plan. I've been up there several times and the spring was always running. It has been a dry summer for N. Ga.

How many liters of water would you suggest having on you to make it to each place to refill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Water carried is going to depend on you personally, I normally drink a gallon plus everyday so on the trail it made it harder to keep up IMO. Some days I was going through 8+ litres. Mileage listed below in case you don't have a guide.

Stover Creek is ~ mile 2.7 if I recall.
    Three Forks is mile 4.3. This was flowing very well when we came through in July.
    Hawk Mtn. Shelter is 8.1.
    Justus is 14.4.
    Gooch Mtn. Shelter is 15.8.
    Lance Creek is 24.3.
    Neel Gap is 31.7.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'm also interested in any info. Probably going to be on the trail from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi over the Labor Day weekend.
    There's a creek at Low Gap Shelter that should have water. There's a creek between there and Chattahoochee gap that could be iffy. Chattahoochee Gap has a spring down the hill on the right which is the start of the Chattahoochee River but even in good years I've been told it's a low-flow. I camped there but didn't use the water source so I can't confirm but the 4 guys I was hiking with were concerned enough to literally fill 2 jugs at the creek before to avoid using it. Just before Blue Mtn Shelter is another spring on the left, literally right beside the trail. Given the situation with the springs right now, I'd say fill at creeks if possible.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the input. I was debating doing a solo from Springer to Neel Gap over Labor day weekend. I use the Guthooks Guide app but it's always great to have first hand reports from fellow hikers. May reschedule until the fall.
    Captain Vista

I am also looking for a solo hike Labor day weekend from Springer to Neels Gap. I must be interpreting Fatmans input wrong. NOt sure if he is saying there "is" or "is not" water behtween all of these two point destinations he listed. He does certainly seem knowledgeable about this part of the trail though.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    I am also looking for a solo hike Labor day weekend from Springer to Neels Gap. I must be interpreting Fatmans input wrong. NOt sure if he is saying there "is" or "is not" water behtween all of these two point destinations he listed. He does certainly seem knowledgeable about this part of the trail though.
    The places he lists are the only places with water.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Default Southern Terminus 30 mile stretch water conditions

Hi, I read your post from August and wondered if water conditions are still as bad. A friend and I will spend four days traveling south from Woody Gap on Oct 15.
    Do you know if I can I depend on streams flowing?
    Are any shelter supplies absolutely dependable?
    I am considering caching water at various gaps on the route, Gooch,Cooper, High Tower, and the springer parking lot. In your opinion, is this necessary?
    Thanks in advance,

chuck Wahlquist

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWhisky View Post
    Hi, I read your post from August and wondered if water conditions are still as bad. A friend and I will spend four days traveling south from Woody Gap on Oct 15.
    Do you know if I can I depend on streams flowing?
    Are any shelter supplies absolutely dependable?
    I am considering caching water at various gaps on the route, Gooch,Cooper, High Tower, and the springer parking lot. In your opinion, is this necessary?
    Thanks in advance,

chuck Wahlquist
    Hello! I just finished a section hike from Springer to Neels. Gooch shelter has water and Hawk Mtn shelter has water for sure. Ron's Shuttle is a good place for info regarding the water at the moment. Not sure if he's on this forum, but he updates on Facebook.
    Since we headed north, we started with water and didn't need our cached water until Woody Gap. Hth.

You will find water at:
    Gooch Gap
    Gooch Mtn Shelter
    Blackwell Creek
    Justus Creek
    Hawk Mtn Shelter
    Three Forks
    Stover Creek

Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++