WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cell phone coverage on the AT

Thru hiking in 2017. Currently have Sprint as my carrier but am contemplating switching to Verizon because of coverage. Would be interested in some feedback on other peoples experience.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Verizon seems to be the carrier of choice on the AT in the South for many years, and I concur. I've heard recommendations for AT+T in the North, but those who had Verizon were able to cope. Very few good things have been said by AT hikers thru the years about Sprint or T Mobile. Good question though, and as things change in the wireless game I'd love to learn that all the carriers have upped their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Verizon seems to be the carrier of choice on the AT in the South for many years, and I concur. I've heard recommendations for AT+T in the North, but those who had Verizon were able to cope. Very few good things have been said by AT hikers thru the years about Sprint or T Mobile. Good question though, and as things change in the wireless game I'd love to learn that all the carriers have upped their games.
    AT 'n T means Appalachian Trail No Talk.

Full disclosure: I work for Sprint. That said, in my GA section hike I faired pretty well. Carriers overlap in some areas and not in others. Verizon has the most coverage because they have the most towers. I wouldn't switch just for coverage on the AT because you're still going to have many places with no coverage. As long as you have one of the major carriers you'll probably fair as well as anyone else. I found I had poor coverage when others had great coverage but then again I found I had good LTE in places where others had none.

Images

In the last 6 years I have hiked all but half of NH and all of Maine with a Tracphone, had coverage from most mountaintops. I used a cheap flip phone in case it got broken or wet. I still don't use a smart phone, I prefer to have a real camera for pictures.

Verizon has worked well for me from northern VA through NJ; never a day without some connectivity, nearly always good signal on the tops of things (ridges, hills, mountains).

Images

I did a lot of hiking back in the 80s before the trail became the crowded hostel every 30 miles place it is today.I got plenty of rides with my thumb.Back in January I hitched from Tanyard Gap to here.Got home about 1pm.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Not all phones are created equal, also make sure you have a good phone, regardless of carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I guess I don't have a chance with my Metro coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I guess I don't have a chance with my Metro coverage?
    Probably not. I've had pretty good coverage with TracFone, but it can be spotty too. Where you happen to be in relationship to the nearest cell tower has a lot to do with it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I have little to no experience north of Virginia, but from that point south if you want the most reliable coverage Verizon seemed to be the only option. I had AT&T and reception was very poor...maybe 5-10% of the time when I would check. I don't leave the phone on all the time and only power up when I need to, so there could have been better service than I perceived, but we'll be using Verizon next time for sure.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Not all phones are created equal, also make sure you have a good phone, regardless of carrier.
    So true. There were times where I was on my Droid Maxx (Verizon) and my hiking partner sitting right next to me with (I think it was) an earlier iphone (Verizon). I would have service and he started walking around trying to get a signal. And then there were times it was the opposite, but most times mine was the winner.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I did a lot of hiking back in the 80s before the trail became the crowded hostel every 30 miles place it is today.I got plenty of rides with my thumb.Back in January I hitched from Tanyard Gap to here.Got home about 1pm.
    ???

What does that have to do with which carrier has better coverage?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries

No need to choose anymore.
    Several phones available that work on all US and primary world frequencies

You can have Verizon service and pop in an active ATT network sim card when ATT is better. Of course that means two phone bills. Who can put price on connectivity to Facebook??

If pick one, pick verizon. Real Verizon includes roaming on partner towers, mvnos don't include this roaming and service won't be as good.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-20-2016 at 23:05.

I just completed a thru hike in 2016. Verizon is clearly the best carrier for the AT. I was able to send out a text message at camp 95% of the nights. Other hikers nearby with different carriers would be lucky to have 40% for their thru hike.

The only thing I would recommend is getting a new smart phone or new battery for your phone before doing a thru hike. My battery on my smart phone was over 1 year old and did not work as well as when it was brand new. Anker battery packs work great on the trail!

Journal Entries
    Images

I used T-Mobile this year thru GA to the Smokies. It worked pretty good for texts. I was able to Facetime on top of Albert Mountain fire tower, so that was cool. If you have a choice, I'd go with Verizon.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

++ New Posts ++