WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rhodesian ridgeback puppy

My wife and I are expecting out first rr puppy in October. We plan to hike/camp , run and mountain bike with it in time. Does anyone have any info on their own experiences with this breed in these situations. Any tips or tricks? We are super excited and have been doing our research for a while now and are confident we'll have a loyal loving dog that loves the adventures we take together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a great breed of dog, one of my favorites, but they are pretty independent and I have heard that the recall command and/or sticking with their owners off-leash and on the trail is not one of their strongest traits...they are not a people-pleaser breed of dog. All dogs are different of course, but just be aware that you will likely always need to have them leashed when hiking and in camp.

Images

I've had Ridgebacks for 30 years, great dogs. I recommend a female, they tend to stay close. Be sure to have a good relationship, understanding and communication prior to any long hikes. AND, I personally don't like any dog off leash in a public space...
    PM for more, be happy to chat on the phone or if you're ever out my way you can meet Miss Thandi..DGH_1110.JPG
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

Thanks hummy pm inbound. We love hiking out in that area so that sounds like a solid plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++