WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Soft Shells(Mountain Hardware's Torch in particular)

Any opinions on Soft Shells as an insulating layer on the AT. I've used fleece (TNF), Windstopper jackets(MH) and a down coat (WM). I have a soft shell that I run in at home and I love it.

Also, has anyone used the Mountain Hardware (MH) Torch Jacket? That is the soft shell that I was leaning towards?

Images

Speaking very generally, softshells make really crappy insulation layer given the normal (i.e, except for MEC and, perhaps, REI) price. It is much more cost efficient and thermally efficient and weight efficient to use down as the insulation layer. No, you can't hike in it. However, you don't want to hike in the thing that is supposed to keep hypothermia away, right? I have a 2 lb one from Moonstone that, while very tough and wind blocking, doesn't give that much warmth.

That being said, I've recently acquired a very intersesting softshell-wind shirt hybrid made out of something called Gore N2S. I love it right now. Over a thermal top, it would be outstanding for cold weather hiking on the lower AT. A FF Hyperion down jacket in the pack for insulation makes up most of my winter clothing.

From what I know about soft shells, they are water resistant, but not waterproof. They are not a substitute for rain gear. So, they may be fine for a day hike, but for a backpacking trip.

Also, like Chris posted, they are heavy, and not that warm. Not a substitute for a good wool or fleece layer.

Images

Default 2 cents

I made the mistake of buying a Marmot softshell and taking it with me. I don't regret it. It's sexy. But if I had to do it all over again I'd buy a down jacket.

What the Softshell WAS good for was this: hiking in the cold/clouds/mist/light drizzle. Or putting on when it was dry and your shirt was wet. Because it's so breatheable, I could just put that over my wet long sleeve capaline while hiking and I would warm up, the water would vaporize, and I would dry off. So in the wicked cold/drizzle it wasn't bad to hike in, but not worth it in the long run. Go Down.
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Most soft-shells are heavy for carrying or hiking in, and too thin for when you need the warmth. They're better off as a layer for colder and/or inclement weather when you are active. You'll get more bang per buck per ounce by going to a down or synthetic insulation layer. Fine examples include the Western Mountaineering Flight, Feathered Friends Hyperion, Montbell Thermawrap, and Patagonia Micropuff.
    -Mark

++ New Posts ++