WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite Titanium Pot?

I've become a little curious about titanium cooking pots again. tried them before and decided to stay with aluminum, but I was in REI and saw an MSR Titan Kettle sitting all by itself.

this is a good size for me at 850ml and weighs 4.2oz but what got me interested is it's shape. it's 4.6" wide by 3.5" tall and I've been looking for a shorter/wider/more efficient pot to use with my Zelph Fancee Feest alcohol stove.

on the trail I'm mostly just boiling water for bag meals and coffee anyway, so, interest renewed...

I started checking into other pots to see what's out there. it seems Evernew is now the darling among the Super Ultralight crowd as they are made thinner than other ones. looking around I see Esbit, MSR, Snow Peak, Toaks, Vargo, and some others not so mainstream.

am I missing anything? what's your favorite for solo backpacking?..

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've loved my Titan Kettle, in part because the wide-base MSR fuel canisters fit inside it just perfectly.
    But now (at least for the 4oz size) MSR has changed their shape to be more inline with JetBoil and SnowPeak.

I have the toaks 750 ml for single meals and use the 1600 ml when cooking for two. Both work well on the fancy feast burner. Have a couple 550 toaks cups with the toaks Ti esbit burner / wind that I use on day hikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 900ml Snow Peak titanium that fits the 230(?)ml butane canister but also works very well for my FF alcohol stove. It's probably too big for how much I need to use it, but they don't make really short, really wide pots to just boil a cup or two of water. My SP Ti pot came with a "frying pan" style lid which I may try instead next time. I only use mine to boil water too.

I purchased based on a sale price versus research. Luckily I still beleive it is one of the top three solo cook sets that I would purchase now, after doing a lot of research. Things to consider (that the OP already mentions) are: number cooking for, cooking or just boiling, Volumn of water based on number of cups, and fuel source (alchohol, canister, over a fire/coals, etc. My number one for versatility (especially ability to hang over a fire) is the Toaks 750ml with Bail Handle. Number two is Snow Peak 700 Trek. Number three is my Snow Peak Hybrid Summit Solo cook set that I matched to the Caldera Cone System, so I would not probably use it over a fire. The Trek is thicker titanium and more durable than the Toaks. The Snow Peak mesh sack is a little larger and allows the Pocket Rocket Style Stove to fit on top of the cup and it holds all size canisters in the pot. Toaks is a lighter weight but gives that up for the bail handle and not as durable; yet is the best over a fire. The Toaks Sack is pulled tight across the top of the cup so no extra storage space and it may not hold the larger MSR canister in the pot (although I am not 100% sure)
    PS. Looking to sell my Snow Peak Cook Set Caldera / Alcohol Stove in the For Sale section!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries
    Images

I got a Toaks 1600 with skillet lid. My whisperlight fits inside it. I. Like to do some real cooking and baking muffins and fish. Much larger than a lot carry but its covenant as everything packs into it.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/376993...tanium-cookset

I picked up this set when it was on closeout, for about $40. I only bring the smaller sized pot (1.3 liter), and am able to put one small can of gas inside my coffee cup (snow peak ti) and my stove all inside the pot. I chose this because it was (cheap and) wider than the more common sizes - which seemed the more efficient way to boil water using a stove that the flames spread out rather than blast straight up.

I used the FF stove exclusively for a few years (after reluctantly trying it as I was delighted with my zelph starlyte). Now my alky stoves are relegated to storage, or brought as backups. I predominately make a small cooking fire with twigs. Throughout all of that, my titanium pot has not changed. Evernew 600mL. It is short and wide. I often contemplate getting a larger 900mL or 1.3L, but never do. The height and diameter dimensions of the evernew is great. I am not a fan of the tall skinny pots. Ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've loved my Titan Kettle, in part because the wide-base MSR fuel canisters fit inside it just perfectly.
    But now (at least for the 4oz size) MSR has changed their shape to be more inline with JetBoil and SnowPeak.
    I did not realize that MSR had changed the Titan kettle. The picture on their site looks the same as my older one.
    That being said, I have never considered replacing mine. The .850 volumne and overall dimensions are well thought out. I use a SP gigapower or a Zelph FF stove. Both stoves mate up to the TK well.
    SP hot lips also fit the TK perfectly.

For just boiling water for coffee / re-hydrating (though we've even baked a muffin in one) meals for one person, I really, really like the Evernew 640ml Tall Ti pot. I bought one for my wife with a caldera cone and it's incredibly compact and efficient.

For cooking for more than one person, or cooking larger prep meals (think - pasta sides, or even a box of craft deluxe macaroni), I really like the Evernew 1.3L pot. If you want to get fancy, a Snow Peak Ti bowl will next perfectly inside it to use for baking. A trangia mini fry pan will also make a perfect lid (and double as a fry pan of course). I have a caldera cone for it too, which works well, but the Caldera Cone works best on taller, narrower pots IMO.

Does anyone have experience with the Evernew ECA 267 pot? It is on my shopping list because the specifications would be ideal for my needs. 900 mL, 3.5 oz, 4.5" wide by 3.9" tall. I like pots that have about a 1:1 height to diameter ratio.

https://www.traildesigns.com/cookwar...mug-pot-eca267

This SP 600 set has served me well....I only heat water don't cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the Evernew 750 pasta pot, which is kind of tall and narrow. It paired well with the Zelph FF, and a home made aluminum windscreen. It took up a tiny space in my fairly small pack. I only boiled water in it for rehydrated meals. It was enough for a meal and a cup of hot cider.

On the trail, I was envious of the low wide pots I saw people cooking in and eating from. More stable, which is nice. Heat up faster, which I don't really care about as an extra minute cooking doesn't bother me in the slightest. More flexible, in that you can cook an actual meal in it, with the room to stir and add ingredients in a more controlled manner. Might waste some space in your pack depending on the rest of your cook system.

I wasn't envious enough to actually switch to one, and clean it after every meal however.

Whatever route you go, depends on how and what you cook, as well as how much space and weight you can deal with. There's no right answer for everyone.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I did not realize that MSR had changed the Titan kettle.
    Sorry for the confusion...
    The Titan Kettle has not changed.
    The MSR Fuel canisters have changed.

The old MSR 4oz fuel canisters had a base that was just barely big enough to fit inside the Titan Kettle. I then paired that with a Snow Peak MaxLite that would easily fit UNDER the MSR fuel canister (because of the concave bottom). It make of a nice and tighty system... pot, fuel, stove all together.

While the 8oz canisters might still have the wide base, MSR has changed their 4oz canisters to roughly match the shape of JetBoil, Snow Peak, and other 4oz(ish) size canisters. This means it is now taller and smaller in diameter.

Here's a few images I found to show the difference:
    oldcan.jpg
    Old 8oz and 4oz canisters

newcan.jpg
    New 8oz and 4oz canisters.

(Other than print design, I don't believe the 8oz canisters have changed)
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-19-2016 at 11:19.

I see that now. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I've become a little curious about titanium cooking pots again. tried them before and decided to stay with aluminum, but I was in REI and saw an MSR Titan Kettle sitting all by itself.

this is a good size for me at 850ml and weighs 4.2oz but what got me interested is it's shape. it's 4.6" wide by 3.5" tall and I've been looking for a shorter/wider/more efficient pot to use with my Zelph Fancee Feest alcohol stove.

on the trail I'm mostly just boiling water for bag meals and coffee anyway, so, interest renewed...

I started checking into other pots to see what's out there. it seems Evernew is now the darling among the Super Ultralight crowd as they are made thinner than other ones. looking around I see Esbit, MSR, Snow Peak, Toaks, Vargo, and some others not so mainstream.

am I missing anything? what's your favorite for solo backpacking?..
    Fer just boiling water, and the features you're looking for Toaks is hard to beat. They are a bit thinner, unlike the Evernew they don't seem to disappear from stock for long periods of time, and are a solid value for the price.
    In what you want- 700ml- http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium700mlpot.aspx
    Or the similar 900ml- http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium900mlpot.aspx

If I had to choose one- still a fan of the Snow Peak set, though the one I have is no longer available, this is close- https://snowpeak.com/collections/coo...iant=671149681
    The one I have was 1L and included a small bowl. The snowpeak is a hair heavier, as it's made out of thicker TI overall. However, you can actually cook in it, the lid can be used as a double boiler of sorts which will let you-
    In the morning make coffee in the main pot as well as cook up a freeze dried breakfast in the lid (this lets you steam out the water so it actually tastes like an omelet.
    In the evening you can do the same with dinner or just water and a side of veggies or grains in the lid.
    The bowl I wouldn't miss much, but when I first started it was handy to have the bowl/lid combo for a short trip and leave the main pot at home.

Being thick enough and large enough at 1L you could cook a bit in it, say fry up some veggies and meat in the pot to give a bit more body to a soup/stew or cook a relatively full pot of pasta without burning it or watching it like a hawk.

Without going into a lengthy dissertation as to why I am looking for a titanium pot with a 3&15/16ths inside diameter of any height,would anyone know of one that would fit the bill?Thanks in advance.

I like a larger pot so I can heat water for a hot drink and my meal in one step and have plenty of room in the pot for my meal (cuz I cook in and eat out of my pot). I use a 900 cc Evernew Mug/Pot for cooking on my FireFly woodburner and an Evernew squat 900 cc pot in a Caldera Cone setup when using Esbit or alcohol.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

thanks everyone, lots of good info...

takeaways - Snow Peak is thicker and sliiiiightly heavier than others, Toaks is thinner/lighter/cheaper, Evernew thinner/lighter/more expensive than either of the others.

definitely want short/wide rather than tall/skinny for alcohol stove. I've already got 700ml and it's too small for what I want - 16oz of water to rehydrate a meal and a couple cups of tea or cider for supper, breakfast it's 20oz of coffee and some oatmeal. so, it's 850ml and up, IMO, 1.1L wouldn't be too much, give me some hot water to clean up with...

not sure if I want the pan/cup style lid or just a flat one. I've already got a cup-style lid and a pan-style lid with my aluminum sets. don't use the pan/lid for anything, cup/lid is ok for making and eating my oatmeal out of, but I stopped drinking coffee from it (even with the yellow Hot Lips thingie) and carry the GSI Infinity Backpacker insulated mug instead, so I'm leaning to a flat lid.

did I miss anything?..

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Without going into a lengthy dissertation as to why I am looking for a titanium pot with a 3&15/16ths inside diameter of any height,would anyone know of one that would fit the bill?Thanks in advance.
    oh come on, lengthy dissertation? why can't you say why?

you've got our curiosity up, now spill it brother!..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++