WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default help choosing a route and backcountry campsite

Hello smoky mountain friends

I was hoping you could give me some advice about a roundtrip in the smokys.

We are 5 friends from Belgium that are going on a trip to the states over a month.
    After a weekend in Vegas we’ll be taking a flight to Atlanta were we’ll be picking up our rental car at 6 am. From there we’ll go straight to Gatlinburg to drop off 1 friend who won’t be hiking with us (he’s disabled). This will be on Monday September 26th.

So 4 of us will be driving the car to somewhere in the smoky mountains from where we’ll be hiking.
    I expect us to start our hike around noon, we’ll be taking tents with us for 1 night in the park. This will be backcountry camping so we’ll have to reserve a place in advance.

Now I’d like to get some advice on what route we can best take and which campsite we would have to book.

We’re not experienced hikers but in our early 30’s, so quite fit.

Really want to see some viewpoints, animals and if possible swim under a waterfall.
    Preferably we’d take another route back so we don’t pass the same sights, maybe we can take a shuttle?

Thanks already!

Journal Entries

You may need to make some choices. Viewpoints tend to be up high while opportunities to see waterfalls typically occur much lower (often vertically down 700 to 800 meters, or more, below below ridge tops), at least in the Southern Appalachians. So, with just two days and one night for this backcountry journey, consider possibly prioritizing and build an itinerary focused on either visiting a waterfall or going to an open ridge somewhere with potentially good views. Recognize also that plunge pools below scenic waterfalls are sometimes too shallow to offer much opportunity to swim. And, the water in those streams will be cold at that time of year. But, looking at things more positively, at the end of September some tree leaves may possibly already be changing color along the mountains' highest ridges.

"We want to see some... animals..." GSMNP is home to many Black Bears, but I'm not sure that you, during your brief visit, will be any more likely to see them (most likely fleeing you) in the backcountry than would be the case if you instead remained in Gatlinburg or camped beside your rental car in the Park's campground at Cades Cove.

If all four of you are in excellent hiking shape, can start walking very early in the day, and also are able to limit the weight of your packs, one option might be for you hike up to the trail shelter on top of Mount LeConte, perhaps doing so along the Rainbow Falls Trail. That is the second highest mountain in the Park. Other trails also access Mount Leconte, making it possible for hikers to go out and return along different routes. See:

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...omplete4-2.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Are you aware that in addition to Gatlinburg, which is very touristy, there is also another gateway community where tourists can lodge before entering Great Smoky Mountain National Park(GSMNP)? From Atlanta it might possibly be faster for you to drive instead to the Park's southern entrance at the Native American town of Cherokee. Located within an Indian Reservation/Native American Reserve, Cherokee is smaller than Gatlinburg. The tribe has created interesting displays within their "Museum of the Cherokee Indian". Crossing the width of the National Park, a paved highway connects Cherokee to Gatlinburg.

And, in addition to having national parks, that region of the USA also offers backpacking opportunities that arguably are equally good, if not better, on other public lands, such as National Forests. Outside National Parks, permits and reservations are usually not needed to do backcountry camping. And, some of those "other good places" are considerably closer to Atlanta than GSMNP happens to be. Have you calculated yet how many hours it will take you to drive from Atlanta to GSMNP?

Images

The previous post contains excellent information, you should probably read it twice.

Here's the route I would recommend, with 1 or 2 minor warnings:

Drive to Clingman's Dome parking lot and park (get an EARLY start). Take the Forney Creek trail downstream to Campsite #70 or #71. You will see a few choices for swimming as you head down and there are multiple stream crossings so use caution, especially if there has been heavy rain recently. The next morning take Springhouse Branch trail up to the Forney Ridge trail and follow that to Andrews Bald, stop to enjoy the views and eat lunch, then you are just 45 minutes or so from the parking lot.

Whatever route you choose, enjoy the trip!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would dare say that the only hike that comes close to filling all the check boxes in your request would be a trip to the top of LeConte. There are 5 different trails that lead to the top (so a shuttle would provide lots of options). To see a waterfall, you would need to include either Rainbow Falls Trail or Trillium Gap Trail. Perhaps the prettiest trail is Alum Cave, while the most scenic is The Boulevard Trail (New Found Gap, hike the AT to the Boulevard intersection). Once at the top, Cliff Tops offers a great view of sunset while Myrtal Point offers a great view of sunrise (assuming weather cooperates... which it seems to do only 50% of the time). Animal encounters are possible, but nothing can be guaranteed. (The only place you are guaranteed to see animals is Cades Cove... in all my years of going to GSMNP, I've never been able to go around the Cades Cove Loop Road without seeing at least some deer along the way).

However, I must warn you that a climb to LeConte is steep and strenuous... especially for a beginner. You need to allow yourself enough time to complete the hike. Based on my experience (recalling the days I was a beginner hiking in GSMNP and going to LeConte) trying to start a climb to LeConte at noon is simply too late in the day to begin. I would suggest that 10:00am is the latest you want to start your hike, with something closer to 8:00am being better.

Another good choice is CS#13 just below Gregory Bald. This is my favorite campsite in the entire GSMNP. However, you won't see any waterfalls and the trip would be an out-an-back. But you would get to see the beauty and the animals of Cades Cove, as the trail head for Gregory Ridge Trail is on the far side of the Cades Cove loop road. Again, you want to start as early as possible, and in this case, you've got to allow for the drive time from Gatlinburg to the trailhead (estimate at least two hours).

And on the subject of Cades Cove, another good choice would be a trip down Abram's Falls Trail. Abram's Falls is my favorite waterfall in the park. The hike can either be an out-and-back using CS#17, or a loop using CS#15.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

sectial,

Can you provide any additional specifics and feedback that we might be able to use to help improve your plans?
    For example:
    Can your disabled friend drive a car?
    Are you flying on Sunday?
    Are you staying in a hotel in Atlanta (and could you change that to a hotel near/in Gatlinburg)?
    Can your flight plans be changed (perhaps you could fly to Knoxville where the drive to Gatlinburg would be shorter)?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sectial View Post
    This will be on Monday September 26th.
    I just checked the current closure information page for GSMNP.
    I'm afraid an overnight hike to LeConte is going to be impossible.
    Alum Cave Trail is closed Monday-Thursday from May 2nd thru Nov 17 for trail restoration work.
    In addition, The LeConte Shelter (the only available camping on LeConte) is closed Monday-Thursday from May 2nd thru Oct 13th to accommodate a youth crew working on that project.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've come up with an alternate suggestion for you... CS#23.

Park your car at the Little River Trail trail head in the Elkmont campground and get a shuttle to Clingman's Dome parking lot.

Hike up and see the view from the Clingman's Dome Observation Tower.
    Hike the AT west/south towards Goshen Prong Trail where additional mountain vistas will greet you (weather permitting).
    Hike down Goshen Prong and camp at CS#23 located near the confluence of several mountain streams.
    Continue down Goshen Prong and Little River Trail where you'll hike along the creek and see a few of the lesser known water falls and cascades.

This hike gives you the opportunity to see parts of the GSMNP at all elevations, only takes one night, and is almost all down hill (so you should be able to make better time than if you were climbing the 2,500' to 3,500' required to reach the top of LeConte).

Images

and 23 is a nice site............IMO at least............

Images

I might suggest a hike to 13.
    Starting at the forge creek road trailhead.
    Another nice one might be to park at tremont head up to Spence on note mountain trail then next day go east on AT and return on middle prong trail.
    There is a waterfall along a side trail there

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    Another nice one might be to park at tremont head up to Spence on note mountain trail then next day go east on AT and return on middle prong trail.
    There is a waterfall along a side trail there
    First of all, gollwoods means Bote Mountain Trail... which leaving out of Tremont is actually West Prong Trail. West Prong Trial runs into Bote Mountain Trail. What the back country map doesn't show you is that it is Bote Mountain Trail that continues from this intersection to Laural Creek Road.
    Second, to make this a loop without a shuttle, you simply have to walk the 3 miles of the Tremont gravel road. Start the hike by parking at the far end of Tremont Road, and walk back to West Prong Trail to begin the hike.
    Third, while I agree that this is a very nice loop (water falls, creeks, and terrific views from atop Thunder Head Mountain), I personally would NOT recommend it for a beginner. The cumulative elevation gain from Tremont to Spence is over 3,500' and the 2nd day would be a distance of 15 miles including a cumulative elevation gain of 1,000' to 1,500' between Spence and Derrick Knob. The other danger is that Spence is a very popular shelter (because of nearby Thunder Head Mountain). That means that reservations are more difficult to obtain AND is more likely to be temporarily closed without warning due to bear activity.

Unfortunately the thing about a popular site being more likely to get closed due to bear activity also goes for CS#13. Regardless of what hike you select, you need to have a few ideas for an alternative hike should you get a call from the national park saying your reserved campsite has been closed.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-16-2016 at 18:45.

Images

Darn spell check. Thanks for the save

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just to throw an idea out there...
    What are you primarily interested in? Is it specifically camping in the back country, or is it seeing the sights of GSMNP?
    If you are mostly interested in seeing the sights, you could camp at a front country campsite such as Cades Cove or Elkmont and use the car to take you to various day hikes.

As an example, get a reservation for the Tremont campground. The 1st day, drive out to Cades Cove. As a part of driving around the loop to see the animals and the sights, take a day hike down to see Abram's Falls. If you want to include some swimming, do so either at Abram's Falls or at the swimming hole at the Townsend "Y" (intersection of Laurel Creek Road, Little River Road, and Hwy 73 leading to Townsend). Then head to Tremont to camp for the night. Next morning, wake up good and early and head up Newfound Gap Road. On the way up the mountain, take a day hike to Chimney Tops (IMHO, the best mountain view in the entire park). After Chimney Tops, continue up to Clingman's Dome to see a view from the highest point in Tennessee.

(I personally prefer the back country camping... but then again I've already had the opportunity to take in all the sights I'm listing above that you just can't get in a single overnight backpacking trip)

Images

As an example, get a reservation for the Tremont campground

tremont campground?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    tremont campground?
    Sorry, I ment to say Elkmont.

Detailing that Bote Mtn loop put Tremont on the brain... and of course it sounds similar to Elkmont.

Thank you so much for the information already!!

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    sectial,

Can you provide any additional specifics and feedback that we might be able to use to help improve your plans?
    For example:
    Can your disabled friend drive a car?
    No, not the rental car as he needs specific adjustments to the vehicle
    Are you flying on Sunday?
    yeah we have a red eye from las vegas, should be landing in Atlanta around 4:30 AM, after which we are getting the rental car
    Are you staying in a hotel in Atlanta (and could you change that to a hotel near/in Gatlinburg)?
    We are not staying in Atlanta, after landing it's getting the rental car and we'll have to pick up some camping gear and food (probably at the REI in knoxville)
    Can your flight plans be changed (perhaps you could fly to Knoxville where the drive to Gatlinburg would be shorter)?
    Unfortunately not, we already have a very tight scedule to see other stuff. But for me it has been a dream to go camping in a national park.
    That's why we choose backcountry camping

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

WOW! I didn't realize there was an REI in Knoxville. I've always traveled between home and GSMNP via Atlanta when I needed to go to REI. Now I know that I can head home via Atlanta or Chattanooga and still get an REI fix.

However, Knoxville seems to be a poor choice for picking up camping gear because it is about an hour beyond GSMNP relative to the direction you are coming from. In other words, you're going to waste at least two extra hours just travelling to Knoxville and back on the day you should be hiking.

I own all the gear that I need, so I don't have the experience help provide alternate suggestions here. But I hope someone else can chime in here to provide an alternate suggestion that works with your time table.

What I do know is that there is a local company in the area called "A Walk In The Woods". They are a back country guide company authorized to operate in GSMNP. While I do not know if you can ONLY rent gear from them, I do know that if you hire them to take you on a back country trip, they provide the gear for you. Given that you are coming from out of the country, you're beginners, and you're not familiar with the area (I assume), their services would likely be worth the cost if your budget allows.

Images

if you really need a REI coming from atlanta, and dont wanna stop at the knoxville one------theres one in kennessaw right off of I75........

bout 3 minutes from the highway.....

Images

but the knoxville store can be just as easy--------come up 75 to 40, go to REI (right off of the highway as well)-----get back on 40 going east, get on 129 going south, and take that into the park into elkmont.......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

if you really need a REI coming from atlanta, and dont wanna stop at the knoxville one------theres one in kennessaw right off of I75........

bout 3 minutes from the highway.....
    Timing...

OP said they will pickup the rental car in Atlanta at 6:00 a.m. on a Monday. REI doesn't open until 10:00am on the week days. By 10:00am, they can already be in Gatlinburg.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

but the knoxville store can be just as easy--------come up 75 to 40, go to REI (right off of the highway as well)-----get back on 40 going east, get on 129 going south, and take that into the park into elkmont.......
    The good news: Google maps shows that it should only take about 3-1/2 hours to get from the Atlanta Airport to the Knoxville REI via Chattanooga.
    The bad news: That puts them at REI 30 minutes before they open (but hey, that means you have a little time to find a quick breakfast).

Here's the timing break down as I see it (based on Google Maps):
    Atlanta Airport to Knoxville REI (via Chattanooga) - 3-1/2 hours
    Knoxville REI to Gatlinburg - 1-1/2 hours (depending upon traffic)
    Atlanta Airport to Gatlinburg (via Cherokee NC and New Found Gap Road) - 4 hours
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-17-2016 at 14:42.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++