WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Are shelters packed in the smoky mountains in the fall?

Thinking about hiking along the Appalachian Trail using a thru-hiker permit in October. Are the shelters usually full at this time? I'd much rather use my tent than stay in a shelter.

Journal Entries

Yes. Leaf peepers. Popular hiking time.
    But often some no shows that find on day 1, they cant handle it. So there may be shelter room
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-03-2016 at 11:25.

Just a friendly reminder form the website

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit

You may obtain an AT thru hiker permit through this site.
    IMPORTANT! To qualify for an AT Thru-Hiker Permit, you must begin and end your hike at least 50 miles outside Great Smoky Mountains National Park and only travel on the AT in the park. Hikers not meeting this definition should apply for a General Backcountry Permit
    All users are strongly encouraged to read the basic permit information below before acquiring a permit.
    Permits obtained through this system are issued by email. If you do not have an email address, please contact the Backcountry Office at 865-436-1297
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

With perhaps an exception during the spring-time AT-Thru hiker bubbles, the shelters in GSMNP are pretty much hit and miss. They might be full one day, and hardly anyone show up the next. I've had a reservation for a shelter that the online reservation system showed as full before I setout on my hike, and wind up with the shelter less than 1/2 full.

Images

I know the shelters in GSMNP are a mandated part of a thru hike, but God I hate those shelters. As bad as mice can be in any shelter, I've never seen them as bad anywhere else. About 10 of us fought a war with about 300 mice in the Mt. Collins shelter one night.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Thanksgiving week isn't too crowded... but that's because most people don't pick THAT week to hike.
    I did that week a couple years ago. 2 or 3 nights, my hiking partner and I had shelters to ourselves. Other nights that week were hit and miss. The first two nights one group of college kids filled the shelters. After that, never a full shelter.

Last time I was up there was late October 2015. There was what I can only assume was a church group on the same pattern as me. They seemed to take it personal when I moved on a few miles each evening and stealthed it.

Its hard to say in the smokies what to expect from shelters. Id rather they be full myself. That way I have an excuse to actually get a good nights sleep.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    I moved on a few miles each evening and stealthed it.
    And this is precisely why you should always pack a shelter and some bear spray in GSMNP.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Last time I was up there was late October 2015. There was what I can only assume was a church group on the same pattern as me. They seemed to take it personal when I moved on a few miles each evening and stealthed it.

Please follow the rules. Not following the rules = more rules for those of us who do. If you can't abide, please skip the Smokies. Nothing is forcing you to take your vacation there.

Don't forget! Four spots in every large shelter in the Smokies are set aside for thru hikers. How many thru hikers do you think are in that area at the time of year you are going? I suspect most nights you will be in a shelter if you follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Don't forget! Four spots in every large shelter in the Smokies are set aside for thru hikers. How many thru hikers do you think are in that area at the time of year you are going? I suspect most nights you will be in a shelter if you follow the rules.
    Four spots are reserved in each shelter in the Smokies for thru hikers between March 15 and June 15. The rest of the year, there are no spaces reserved for thru hikers.

++ New Posts ++