WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pemi Loop

Default Pemi Loop

I'm a newbie here on this forum but am not new to backpacking (been at it for about 18 years). I have a couple of general questions about my upcoming hike on the Pemi loop. It isn't going to change the logistics of my trip, but since I have never hiked here before I'm just curious about a few things. How crowded are the trails and campsites at this point in the season? Also, what is the bug situation typically lilke at this time of year? And, I guess, one more question...what about bears? Is there a decent population in this area or not really? Do the sites have bear boxes or do we just hang our food? We will be doing the loop in 4 days and 3 nights -- August 19 - 22. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

http://www.davidalbeck.com/hiking/pemiloop.html

its been a dry year. Barely any bugs, but treat your clothing with permethrin to ward off ticks.

Thanks, it's good to know that it's been a dry year. And, yes, I have already treated all my gear with permethrin.

I believe all the tent sites have bear boxes if that is where you are planning on staying. Always hang your food if that isn't the case.

Liberty, Garfield and Guyot sites all have bear boxes. Expect lots of folks at the camps, especially on weekends, so try not to arrive too late, though they will always try to find a spot to cram you in if the host is on site. Guyot is a great one to arrive early because you can claim a spot and then head out to West Bond.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

It's been a busy summer all around the Whites and the Thru hikers are showing up in big numbers now. It does seem to be slowing down a little, judging from the number of cars at the Madison hut lot, but since you'll be there on the weekend don't be surprised if the campsites are full to overflowing when you get there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    treat your clothing with permethrin to ward off ticks
    Ticks on the Pemi loop? I've heard reports near Sawyer Pond so I guess they could be moving that way. Confirmed?

Journal Entries

We did half of the Pemi Loop last year. What a difficult hike! Watch our for South Twin!

++ New Posts ++