WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just curious what leash, collar and or harness others are using while hiking....

I usually just use a 6-8 section of 550 cord for a leash. Only time I use it is when we're around others at a shelter, road crossing etc. If on trail I can simply pick up my 20lb jrt as others pass by. He walks just behind me most of the time. I've tried using a leash while hiking with poles and gets to be a pita.........shock cord? Thinking I might try using a leash a little more on my Collegiate loop hike....not to appease the anti dog arseholes but for the dogs safety as not sure how he'd react to a moose......he's also snack size for a cougar...yea its probably unlikely I'll see either....just in case.....thoughts

Have you considered leaving the dog at home? I'm not saying that your dog isn't welcome, I just mean that it seems that you have a lot of concerns that could be easily alleviated.

When I hike with my dog, I don't use trekking poles and I use the Easy Walk Harness.

http://store.petsafe.net/easy-walk-harness

My last dog was old, well trained and weighed under 20 pounds. I used a 50' section of clothesline and hiked without poles, just playing out or gathering in line as necessary.

I got a new dog a few weeks ago, who's 5 years old and was completely untrained. He's strong and initially would just dash about randomly pulling at the leash, which caused a lot of pain in my slowly recovering knee as he yanked me off balance.

He came from the shelter with a choke collar. I got a normal collar and a "thunderleash" which loops about his chest. After a few weeks of training, he'll walk calmly along side me and more often than not respond to my commands, while on leash. If he continues to progress with his training, I'll eventually switch to a length of cord.

Dogs are like kids. I love my own, but, think most other people's are horrible beasts, because they've been raised poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Have you considered leaving the dog at home? I'm not saying that your dog isn't welcome, I just mean that it seems that you have a lot of concerns that could be easily alleviated.

When I hike with my dog, I don't use trekking poles and I use the Easy Walk Harness.

http://store.petsafe.net/easy-walk-harness
    The dog likes to hike as much as I do......allot of concerns? Not really...he's been hiking since he was 6 months old...just haven't hiked out west with him.....funny thing is he looks identical to the dog in the pic of the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++