WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

Default Dr. Bronner's - Why Peppermint and Not....

Hi all! I know many hikers - and more here, too - that use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap.

Why not the Lavender, or Tea Tree Oil, or Almond, or other versions? And,, what seems to be the best way to re-supply - a large bottle in a bounce box, or small bottles in mail drops?

Please help! Sue
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Images

I like the hemp eucalyptus. Nothing removes "foot smell" better as far as I am concerned. Great for washing clothes or your body. Nalgene makes polycarb bottle in the 1 or 2 oz size. I usually just take a partial bottle. Backed-up by a zip lock.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Peppermint taste best when U use doc bronners to brush ur teeth
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I love Dr Bronners Pepperment soap!!! I have tried them all and they seem to work good for body or clothes, not too bad on hair. The Pepperment seems to keep bugs away for a couple of days, it also 'feels' cleaner to me. I buy the soap in BARS, not in liquid (Campmor). On the AT I used 1 and 1/2 bars. I cut the bars in half and carried 1/2 at a time, using a bounce box.

Wow, have never brushed my teeth with this, what's it like?
    ad astra per aspera

"Dr." Bronners is BS. You don't need any kind of soap on the AT or any trail for that matter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    "Dr." Bronners is BS. You don't need any kind of soap on the AT or any trail for that matter.
    AMEN!

That said, I started off with some and I think I ditched it in Hot Springs... or Damascus, I can't remember which. You don't need it.
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

It's like those hippy wannabes wearing that patchouli s**t to mask thier funk. Smells worse than BO.

Default if one curses the one who chooses soap ....

if your that mad over his soap choice ...how mad do you get over starving children? killing mad? of course soap isnt nessesary but free will is.

Images

It's like those hippy wannabes wearing that patchouli s**t to mask thier funk. Smells worse than BO.
    Hah!

LOVE THE B.O.! As Grey Fox once said hiking behind me... "that smell, it's like crack to me!"
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

Starving kids don't care about scent and aesthetics, weinstone.

Images

Damn! I guess I'm a hippie wannabe - I still love the scent of patchouli! Or maybe I'm just -- a hippie that hid it for all these years under a corporate and now small biz veneer?

Sue
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Shower or bathe daily. You won't need that oil. C'mon girl your way past the hippy age.

Hmmm, just was wondering what it tasted like ;-)
    I have never carried it, have only seen it in hiker boxes ( like five different bottles of it alone at the office in Harper's last year - and used some on my dog once, he was not impressed.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Shower or bathe daily. You won't need that oil. C'mon girl your way past the hippy age.
    It's not the need, darlin' -- I just love that scent! But I concur - if someone is using to mask BO, then - yuck. Not a good combo. Like onions with syrup or something Sue

Images

I don't carry Bronner's when hiking, but I do shave with it in the shower every morning at home.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

I carry about an ounce with me. Could care less whether someone else thinks I need it or not!

Just hike.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    I carry about an ounce with me. Could care less whether someone else thinks I need it or not!

yes..I always try to carry at least an OZ with me too...

less than an OZ is a misdemeanor.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

We carried the smallest bottle they sell in a ziplock bag. Used it to wash ourselves when we could, and washed our cooking pots when neccessary. Hippy or not, at least we didn't smell like onions. And that my friend, was worth it to me...

I carry it with me when I hike. Sorry but there is nothing like heating up some water at the end of a dirty sweaty day and washing your face with the peppermint, the smell is wonderful and it makes me feel fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++