WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2017 NOBO hiking partner wanted

Hello, my wife was a Girl Scout and says you can't hike without a Buddy. I have explained to her all the reasons why hiking partners don't always work, but she is not getting it. So I have told her I would try to find someone to at least start with. If things worked out it would be great, if not, no expectations or obligations. I am fairly open to starting date.

When do you think you might start? What is your goal, i.e. pace, time on trail, experience?

Hello, I am open to starting date. My goal is to finish. I have projected about 5 months. I am not an experienced thru hiker but have hiked a lot in Colorado, mostly one or two night hikes. Those hikes were with day packs. I have been in training since April and have been doing 15 to 20 mile hikes on both Saturday and Sunday on most weekends, of course that is on mostly flatland as I do live in Iowa. I have started weight training with a trainer working on building strength to carry a 35 lb. pack. My weakness is lack of thru hiking experience. My strength is desire and that when I start something I do not quit.

If your interested, please read my first post looking for a thru hiking partner which provides more details. Message me if it's something you want to discuss further. Quitting is not an option, the goal is to finish by first of August, and I truly want to enjoy the experience (even on the bad days). Just let me know.

Journal Entries

I am leaving April 5th next year. My wife is equally concerned. I recently completed a 5 day section hike in MA and averaged 18 miles per day. I plan on starting at 10-12 miles/day to prevent shin splints and to enjoy the hike. I hope to finish in 5 months but if it takes 6, I'm not concerned. If you're interested, let me know.

I would be very interested in a April 5th start. It sounds like we have the same goals and expectations for the hike. Let's talk some more.

Our family member used to be a Boy Scout, and we told him the same thing your wife told you. Unfortunately he was unable to find anyone he knew willing to take that amount of time, and have the resources needed to make that commitment. Dropping him off alone at Amicalola Falls in Georgia (approach trail to AT), was one of the most difficult things we have ever done.
    He made wonderful friends, and found great groups to hike with along the trail. It was a life changing experience for all of us, and we are incredibly thankful we decided to support his decision to head out alone.
    We wish you all the best!

Hey Iowa,
    if you end up not finding anyone, I will meet you and start as your "thru hiking buddy" when we get to Neel gap on that Sunday I will call Ron Brown and go back to work lol..
    -Wife sees you start with a buddy
    "buddy quit on me guess he couldn't tough it out"- Wife now thinks husband is a pro hiker for making it further then said hiking buddy and no more worries for her lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Suzy Q, Thanks for the best wishes and I am very happy that your family had such a great life changing experience.

Gambit McCrae, I can't say that I haven't thought of this scenario many times since I started planning my hike. I appreciate the offer and who knows, I may take you up on this if things don't work out otherwise. One thing I know for sure is my wife will never consider me a pro hiker.

Iowahiker you may very well catch me. Starting April 3 from Springer for my thru hike. I am planning on 8ish miles per day until I get my trail legs. Hope to see you on the trail. Happy hiking.

hobo a hikin
    Journal Entries

Yep, a good wife and a good girl scout can be a good match! But, you are right about questioning the validity of a "good" hiking partner. Starting out is always the toughest part ,with anything really, especially a 2000 mile plus journey! The NOBO section from GA gets real tough real soon too, but in a few weeks we all get our hiking legs. That said, no one sets a pace that our hiking legs perfectly harmonize. It just is a natural way of it all. But you can assure your wife that in those first few weeks you will have plenty of opportunity to discover a hiking partner who can "leg it out" with you. That is the beauty of the Trail and as us old timers know, "Trail Magic" includes the new friends and life long friends that we meet and continue hiking together on our thru hike through life! "Hobo a Hikin"

++ New Posts ++