WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Lightbulb Camping between RPH and Bear Mountain

Hi everyone,

I am about to leave for a section hike, and I see a long gap between shelters in NY from RPH shelter to the Bear Mountain area. My map (now a little old) shows a campsite at a state park. Is that the only spot to camp in that section? Any other advice about where to spend the night in a tent?

Thanks in advance!
    Dive Bomber
    SOBO Section Hiker

Yea, the only real option is the Fahnestock SP. They have a free hikers camping area, but it is right next to a busy highway (and a mile off the trail). I'm glad I did the 20 miles between Graymoor and RPH, even though it was a hot and humid day. Hikers I knew who stayed at the park bitched about the traffic noise keeping them up all night. But they do have swimming and a concession stand.

NY is a "camp only in designated sites" state as the trail is a narrow corridor which crosses a lot of private land.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Thanks for your reply!

Does Greymoor allow hikers to stay on the property? I see from a search of old posts that they used to.
    Dive Bomber
    SOBO Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by markc7 View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

Does Greymoor allow hikers to stay on the property? I see from a search of old posts that they used to.
    Yes, and there is a free (cold) shower. Food can be had 0.6 miles farther south at the AT Deli (which sells some of the most expensive Rama noodles at 99 cents a pack!), but their deli sandwiches are good.

Journal Entries

There is one place that was left out. It is the group area on Dennytown road, and I will not toe that line everyone gives avout a camp only designation. I have stealth camped her all along the way so stop trying to misdirect the newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    There is one place that was left out. It is the group area on Dennytown road, and I will not toe that line everyone gives avout a camp only designation. I have stealth camped her all along the way so stop trying to misdirect the newbies.
    Yes, I suppose the group area on Dennytown road is possible, but may not be preferable. As for illegally camping, go ahead if you wish, but don't promote it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Going from memory, when I section hiked that portion southbound, I camped at a boyscout campsite a few miles South of RHP shelter (Shenandoah camping area iirc), then camped at Dennytown road (didn't stay at the A.T. my first ever REAL trail magic was that when I got to the state park campsites next to the road I discovered that someone I knew had a reserved campsite.) From there we hiked to a designated primitive campsite that was two miles north of bear mountain bridge (hemlock springs campsite?)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated. Hoping in the car in a couple hours to hit the trail today!!
    Dive Bomber
    SOBO Section Hiker

Images

we camped at dennytown group area, it was fine, plenty of room, and water.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

++ New Posts ++