WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Shake me down!

Default Shake me down!

Hi, all!

Looking for some advice on shedding weight. My pack is a big place I know I can lose a pound or two, and I'm currently looking at a couple packs to do so. I had the 1P version of Fly Creek, but do occasionally camp with a dog or second person and prefer having my gear in the tent with me, so I recently swapped out for the 2P version (not looking to change that back for the couple of ounces). Any other suggestions?

Pack: Osprey ariel 65. 4lb 4oz

Tent: BA Fly Creek UL2. 2lb 6oz
    Pad: BA Core Q. 1lb 2oz
    Sleeping Bag: Winter 2lb 0oz/Summer 1lb 8oz
    Cook set: 1lb 2oz
    Stove: Microrocket 3oz
    Gas: 6oz
    1st aid: 9oz
    Bladder/water treatment: 8oz
    Pack cover: 4oz
    Rain jacket/pants 1lb 3oz
    Smartwool top.bottom 13oz
    xtra socks 3oz
    Headlamp 4oz
    Down jacket 12oz

Total= 16lb 7oz (with winter sleeping bag)

I think that covers everything I carry. Anything else I should/shouldn't consider part of my "base weight"?
    Thanks for insights!

Journal Entries
    Images

Hygiene items, gloves, camp shoes, pillow?

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Hygiene items, gloves, camp shoes, pillow?
    Good call! Hygiene items are included in the first aid kit (unless I need to carry period supplies)

Gloves - I carry seasonally... 3-4oz I suppose?

Camp shoes- I've never carried

Pillow - 3oz

As you know, you could get a 2 lb pack, but those Ospreys are pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    As you know, you could get a 2 lb pack, but those Ospreys are pretty sweet!
    Hey, RockDoc! Yeah, I've been eying a new pack (was actually surprised the the exos fit, but I have to have the belt totally cinched down, so I'm not quite sold). Have GG Crown on the way!

Don't know what type of hiking you are going to do. Or, what type of food you like to eat. But the weight of your cook set looks heavy. Many hikers like myself do not bring cook sets. Just a lightweight ti pot and a long handled spoon. Maybe 5 or 6 ounces total?

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Don't know what type of hiking you are going to do. Or, what type of food you like to eat. But the weight of your cook set looks heavy. Many hikers like myself do not bring cook sets. Just a lightweight ti pot and a long handled spoon. Maybe 5 or 6 ounces total?
    Longest upcoming trip is probably gonna be about 10 days. I do like one hot meal at the end of the day, otherwise, I tend to eat breakfast and lunch while I hike or during short stops (things like protein/coffee shakes, dried fruit/nuts, dried meats/hard cheeses, dehydrated humus, etc).

Definitely a good suggestion to lighten up the cookset. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably a little bit lighter since I have the GSI Microdualist (total weight listed above) and only carry the "place setting" for one person when I'm out by myself. I could probably get away with just the pot and a spoon since I tend to do the freezer bag method of cooking. Thanks!!!

Images

You're essentially there, nice kit, already said, trim the cook kit, find a lighter but still supportive pack, but you've already done this, nice! there are lighter headlamps, though if you're going to do some fall-winter stuff, it's nice to have a bright one, most are over 3 ounces anyway. Mine is a 30-lumen (bright enough, but 3+ ounce lamps are usually 100), 1.6 ounce Marmot s-lamp, fine for spring-summer-early fall.

Good call on the 2-person vs. 1-person tent, definitely worth the few ounces extra. that q-core seems heavy, have you looked at the 13-ounce (full length) Neoairs xlites? some don't like them, I sleep like a baby on them.

A 12-ounce down jacket will be a bit toasty, there are a lot of 6-7 ounce down "sweaters" out there that would probably be enough, depending on when you're hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I could certainly shed you quite A bit of weight,question is how much of your kit do you want to replace ...
    One you could switch your rain gear to something like frogg toggs there cheap in price and could save some weight there.
    Your cook kit could be switched pretty inexpensive to say an alcohol stove set up like the ones zelph carries and could save some weight there.

Cook set itself could be alot lighter switching to something like A batch stovez set or titanium as well even lighter.
    And obviously you know your big three can be quite A but lighter.
    Sleeping pad as well.
    Pack cover replaced with compactor bag can save a couple ounces or better yet a polycryo liner even lighter.
    headlamp can be savings to.
    Any questions feel free to shot me an email and can try to help you out.
    My three season is right around 9/10 pounds depending on extra cloths ...
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Early August is Back To School and Fall Clothes time at the Big Box retailers. Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. will be stocking up on inexpensive lightweight down jackets. Check them out.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    You're essentially there, nice kit, already said, trim the cook kit, find a lighter but still supportive pack, but you've already done this, nice! there are lighter headlamps, though if you're going to do some fall-winter stuff, it's nice to have a bright one, most are over 3 ounces anyway. Mine is a 30-lumen (bright enough, but 3+ ounce lamps are usually 100), 1.6 ounce Marmot s-lamp, fine for spring-summer-early fall.

Good call on the 2-person vs. 1-person tent, definitely worth the few ounces extra. that q-core seems heavy, have you looked at the 13-ounce (full length) Neoairs xlites? some don't like them, I sleep like a baby on them.

A 12-ounce down jacket will be a bit toasty, there are a lot of 6-7 ounce down "sweaters" out there that would probably be enough, depending on when you're hiking.
    I think the pack and cookset are gonna be my big weight savers. I didn't mind the UL1 too bad, I'm pretty tiny myself, but I spent a lot of anxiety in windy, stormy conditions worried about my gear touching the walls and what that would mean if conditions let to condensation (luckily never an issue, but I'm a bit of a worst-case-scenario kinda gal).

I couldn't get on board with the neoairs, I'm a light sleeper, so they were just too loud. This pad was a close second in weight. I love how comfortable it is; I'm a side sleeper with awful hips, so the weight here is something I'm ok with too. I actually tried closed cell and the scout length self-inflating, but both left my hips so sore I could barely hike the next day.

I'll check out headlamps, that's a good thought!

As for the down, I think mine may be a bit lighter than 12oz (it's an xs, posted weight was for a medium). But I'll definitely look at down sweaters. Typically if it's warmer weather, I'll throw a dri-fit type pullover in my pack instead, which would probably be closer to about 6oz.

Thanks for the great thoughts and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Well I could certainly shed you quite A bit of weight,question is how much of your kit do you want to replace ...
    One you could switch your rain gear to something like frogg toggs there cheap in price and could save some weight there.
    Your cook kit could be switched pretty inexpensive to say an alcohol stove set up like the ones zelph carries and could save some weight there.

Cook set itself could be alot lighter switching to something like A batch stovez set or titanium as well even lighter.
    And obviously you know your big three can be quite A but lighter.
    Sleeping pad as well.
    Pack cover replaced with compactor bag can save a couple ounces or better yet a polycryo liner even lighter.
    headlamp can be savings to.
    Any questions feel free to shot me an email and can try to help you out.
    My three season is right around 9/10 pounds depending on extra cloths ...
    yeah thanks! I think cookset is gonna be key. Even though the weight is lower than what I posted (I only carry half the "dish-wear" out of my microdualist, and that was total weight for the whole set), I can probably get away with even less! Sleeping pad is one of the lightest I could find (aside from neo xlite, which unfortunately I just can't handle the crinkling), that doesn't kill my side-sleeping hips, so I think that's weight I'm happy to carry.

Appreciate the email offer though, as I refine stuff, I may take you up on that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Early August is Back To School and Fall Clothes time at the Big Box retailers. Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. will be stocking up on inexpensive lightweight down jackets. Check them out.
    Wayne

Will do

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Journal Entries
    Images

That list of gear looks perfect to me. You COULD swap the pack and save about 2-3lbs, but you've made good choices in the other areas, so I don't see the need to do it. The Osprey Ariel is a great pack an it will take care of you out there in more ways than one. However, since you're carrying under 17lbs, you could go with a Zpacks pack and be walking on air.

"Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    That list of gear looks perfect to me. You COULD swap the pack and save about 2-3lbs, but you've made good choices in the other areas, so I don't see the need to do it. The Osprey Ariel is a great pack an it will take care of you out there in more ways than one. However, since you're carrying under 17lbs, you could go with a Zpacks pack and be walking on air.
    Thanks, I've worked hard at putting together an efficient and comfortable kit! I'm trying on various packs right now, but as much as I like the idea of a shiny new toy, my Osprey has many miles left in it. Just torn between "man o man, I really don't need that extra 2-3lbs of pack on my back" and "it's a comfy, well-fitted, durable pack!" I'll add Zpacks to my list of packs to investigate- right now I'm eying the Exped Lightning 60. It's a comparable weight to the ULA, GG Crown packs but the support system still (supposedly) is comfortable with heavier loads (for the occasional winter hut trip that requires more gear/food). Versatility is also something the osprey has going for it... but oh the allure of new gear!

Journal Entries
    Images

Gossamer Gear makes some nice packs too, so if you haven't already, add them to your list.

http://gossamergear.com/packs.html
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I switched my Osprey 65 out to the 52 Zpacks Zip; took a little adjusting but it feels GREAT now that it is set up and is oh so weightless! Love the front-loader too. I will keep my Osprey for a back up/loaner pack and for bushwhacking as it IS a fantastic durable pack, however I am really enjoying my Zpack set up; customer service is amazing!

hat and or bandanna.

Ditch the pack cover for a contractor garbage bag. I don't know your budget, but get a pack from Gossamer Gear or Ula.
    Are you comfortable using alcohol stoves? That's the way to go if you want to get light. also titanium pot. Can you get by with a tarp? Plenty of room for you and your pack

Sent from mobile

++ New Posts ++