WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I use a regular (nylon?) Buff, but have not hiked in really cold weather. Have had chilly mornings and evenings. When a bit chilled I put the Buff on down over my ears. Sun hat goes on top of that. I was amazed how much that warmed me up.
    P.S. It is also pack towel.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Wouldn't go backpacking any time without my balaclava...that's spring, fall and winter...in summer I take kayak trips...
    Wear it around camp on cold nights, then to bed...keep it on during breakfast...start the day in it, then, as I warm up drop it down over my neck as a scarf...as I warm up further I stash it...stop for lunch on a cool day and it goes back on for a while...
    I never backpack in long pants, even in ice/snow...I regulate my temperature with my headgear...

An added bonus is that on nights that it's not cold enough to sleep in it I stuff it with soft clothes...perfect size for an excellent pillow...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

buff balaclava.JPG

Unless it's pure winter (and you pretty well have it on full time) I prefer a combo of hats and buffs (neck gaiters) in a few different weights.
    The advantage is it's easier to vent or go with a few different combos while moving- and if you sling it up like I got here-
    Not only do you make a striking serial killer but the buff locks your hat from spinning around on yer head and/or falling off as you move about during sleep.

That said- for a Floridian simply heading up north for a bit and looking to fight a chill- a single balaclava will be the lightest, simplest option. When it's cold enough you're carrying a few layers of headwear then mix it up.

I use one all the time when winter hiking and I like to wear it while sleeping in a hammock during cold nights. FWIW I tried one with an opening for the eyes only and one with larger opening going down to my chin - The one with the larger opening wins. It is more comfortable, I breathe better with it and when under a hood it can still ride up enough to protect my face.

Quote Originally Posted by brswan View Post
    Bald guy here. I live in Florida and am going to the Smokies in October. I usually use a cotton hat for sleeping when its cold here. It'll be lows of 40s and I was doing some research. A Balaclava will cover my head and neck, thus keeping more heat in. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I was wondering if anyone uses them to hike and/or sleep in?

Thanks.
    Let me go

Maybe you can take a look at this. It is very versatile. http://buffusa.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

Personally cant stand buffs. Too tight, even the extra large size.

I don't like anything tight on face , head, neck.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Personally cant stand buffs. Too tight, even the extra large size.

I don't like anything tight on face , head, neck.
    Make yer own... not a huge fan of BUFF brand, but seems to have become a bit like Kleenex as far as name recognition.

Lots of other brands if you don't sew, I really like the power stretch 100wt fleeces (Columbia one in the pic I think), but it's one of the easiest things around to sew up if you have access to a machine.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'll add my voice to the chorus that say a balaclava (or tuque + buff, but I prefer my balaclava) is essential gear in all but the warmest weather.

I'm not surprised that JB likes buff and tuque better. If I had his natural insulation about my head, I might feel the same way.

I've even been known to hike in my balaclava (unlike Malto), but I think I go out on snowshoes more than he does.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I love baclava on the trail, makes me all warm inside!

Journal Entries
    Images

I have an UA balaclava that I like. If its cold I hike in it, maybe with a watch cap.

I usually sleep in it plus the watch cap if it goes below freezing; helps if my head goes out of the sleeping bag. Used it on the North Country Trail this week in PA.

Can't go full ninja when I hike because my glasses fog up.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I love baclava on the trail, makes me all warm inside!
    Touché.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

There are 3 in my inventory:
    2 second skin weight in polypropylene and silk. Silk is my favorite.
    The other is a Patagonia fleece full on winter expedition model. A leftover from winters on the NE corner of the Caspian Sea. Funny. Those last two words totally stumped autospell. The Geeks aren't as smart as you might think.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I carry a lightweight balaclava as my only warm hat, year round. Doesn't weigh any more then most hats people carry (mines 1.5oz) but is far more flexible for a wider variety of temperatures.

For less cold temperatures, you pull it on to the ears and let the rest flop on top of your head; or if the face opening is large enough you put your head in that part which also allows longer hair to spill out of the unused neck opening. For colder temps, you pull it all the way on and then pull the bottom neck part back up above your head to double up the material from the ears up. For really cold temperatures, you pull it down over your neck. By covering up your neck, you'd be surprised at how warm you get.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not me. From melanzanas blog. Used totally without permission, but since I throw in a plug for them, doubt they mind.
    Best advertising is word of mouth.
    Here's a pic of Patagucci's Dual Aspect hoody which has a balaclava/hood which is designed to fit under a helmet. The breathable Polartec Power Grid fabric is windproof and can be worn alone or under a shell in bad weather.I like to wear a lightweight buff/neck gaiter to keep the collars of my outer layers a bit cleaner when worn several days on longer hikes.046.JPG Pic used with permission.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Buffs are great! All of the different ways to wear come in handy for me. Use one all the time when hiking. Keeps head warm at night and sun off neck during the day.

I just picked one up made by Wigwam. I have a tiny head so it was hard to find one that was snug enough to be useful and not slop around or fall in my eyes. I wanted one because I like it covering my neck at night, and my Buff and beanie weren't cutting it when the temperatures were near freezing. This one is fleece-lined and synthetic outer knit construction. It feels warm and I can cover my eyes. I won't take it in summer unless I am at high elevation, but it will be with me the rest of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++