WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    The company was not "partially at fault" for the customer's poor decision to us a sharp object to open a box containing an item vulnerable to sharp objects. It's common sense, but there is a reason why we see more and more "Don't try this at home" disclaimers on television these days.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0cmqwbZa6_w

If I buy an ice cream cone and walk outside, take a lick and it falls off onto the ground, do I go back in the store and say I dropped and can I have another for free. Just becuase this may have happened as a kid, it only happened because you were a kid. I think this is just one of those times when we have to say to ourselves.

"well, I won't do that again"
    been there and done it myself with stuff, rip into a package only to break it partly cause it's fasten up like Fort Knox...still my fault. Stuff happens!

If anything this thread has reminded me to be more careful opening packages AND I will never be able to afford a Corvette.

I actually had a stuff sack replaced by Zpacks.
    The snap buckle on my food blast broke. I emailed them on either having it repaired or purchasing a new buckle and repair it myself. Both options at my cost.

Their response email went into my junk folder and I did not notice it (over a week later). I only checked the junk folder because one day there was a package in my chair at work.

I email them back and explained that I was not asking for a replacement and I wanted to pay for the new bag.
    I never suggested it was their fault and I fully accepted responsibility.
    They refused my offer to pay.

As as my mother use to say, "you draw more bees with honey than vinegar".

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    If anything this thread has reminded me to be more careful opening packages AND I will never be able to afford a Corvette.

I actually had a stuff sack replaced by Zpacks.
    The snap buckle on my food blast broke. I emailed them on either having it repaired or purchasing a new buckle and repair it myself. Both options at my cost.

Their response email went into my junk folder and I did not notice it (over a week later). I only checked the junk folder because one day there was a package in my chair at work.

I email them back and explained that I was not asking for a replacement and I wanted to pay for the new bag.
    I never suggested it was their fault and I fully accepted responsibility.
    They refused my offer to pay.

As as my mother use to say, "you draw more bees with honey than vinegar".
    So true, I have had similar experiences with Zpacks. They know their Customer base is limited and in general pretty well connected. Word of mouth has always been very effective as input for purchase decisions. In an internet, 24/7, environment, negative travels fast.

They and others also have enormous gross margins to work with and keeping people happy is just another line item on a budget.

Images

Not insinuating anything, but based on the latest few posts it appears that as long as your attitude with Zpacks is positive, you will receive a positive response...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I ordered a new pack and a new quilt from ZPacks earlier this year and they both arrived in the same box. ZPacks sends packs in 2 large flat rate boxes taped together to form one long, thin box, perfect for one of their packs. My quilt was placed inside the stuff sack, inside the pack, so no chance of me cutting it there, but the OP may have received his differently. There is next to no chance of cutting anything inside the package if you cut the tape at one end, pull the flaps open, and pull everything out.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ive seen pickup truck stickers over $80,000 lately.

i personally, will never buy another new vehicle.(last one I bought was 1995) Not because I cant afford it, I easily can. But because Im not stupid enough to. I wont do it on principle.

Theres fools without a pot to pee in, Or a window to throw it out of,
    buying $1000 adidas tennis shoes today.
    Sorry... I just had to. Haven't heard that one in a good while.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If I buy an ice cream cone and walk outside, take a lick and it falls off onto the ground, do I go back in the store and say I dropped and can I have another for free. Just becuase this may have happened as a kid, it only happened because you were a kid. I think this is just one of those times when we have to say to ourselves.

"well, I won't do that again"
    been there and done it myself with stuff, rip into a package only to break it partly cause it's fasten up like Fort Knox...still my fault. Stuff happens!

Exactly

Theres "goodwill' , which is basically just others being nice.

Then theres obligations.

When you expect, or demand, goodwill..you are spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    While I generally agree you are responsible. A vendor of expensive gear should package it so a normal person would not cut the gear. I am thinking you slit the tape along the side and along the top. Now if you used a box cutter and just cut all around the box then you have no one else to blame.

But if cut normally, then the vendor could have adequate cardboard flaps to completely cover the items, and also have stuffing on top of the items that would further protect the items. I don't recall how well their box was made for the one time I bought from them. It is surprising so many have said their boxes were overfull. That kind of indicates they are not taking adequate efforts to size the box and protect the contents.

ZPACKS didn't use any box of their own prior to shipping. ZPACKS stuffed what they were shipping into a UPS box. If I had sliced deeply it would have cut through the actual sleeping bag too. I didn't slice the sleeping bag, I made a three inch slit in the stuff sac that was flush against the UPS box.

Lesson learned, correct? Some people spend a lot more money to get an education.

the stuff sac is made for the sleeping bag

it's nice to know someone is sensing my disappointment

ZPACKS actually makes the claim on their website that they will accept returns for any customer that is not "completely satisfied." It isn't cheap and on other occasions when I have bought expensive stuff online they package their product in a container separate from the shipping container for a variety of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    ZPACKS didn't use any box of their own prior to shipping. ZPACKS stuffed what they were shipping into a UPS box. If I had sliced deeply it would have cut through the actual sleeping bag too. I didn't slice the sleeping bag, I made a three inch slit in the stuff sac that was flush against the UPS box.
    I still see nothing that absolves you of all responsibility for your actions.

Images

it's nice to know someone is sensing my disappointment

i dont think the majority of us are sensing your disappointment at all.......

maybe the disappointment of owning up to your own mistakes maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

maybe the disappointment of owning up to your own mistakes maybe....

the first time is always the hardest...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    ...ZPACKS actually makes the claim on their website that they will accept returns for any customer that is not "completely satisfied."...
    What part of their product were you not completely satisfied with? Oh, that's right, the part YOU damaged...do you really expect them to replace something that arrived in your hands undamaged? This is the part of your argument that everyone is having trouble with. You cannot reasonably expect a vendor to replace something which you damaged through carelessness. Had the stuff sack been somehow faulty, or not what was ordered, then of course you would be correct in stating it should be replaced.

I comes down to ownership. You need to own the act which created the problem.

edit: I did not read the above posts as I was typing my message...lots of agreement here.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

OP, Im getting the sense that hiking may not be for you. Imagine the dissapointment you ate going to feel when that bear, raccoon, squirrel or mice eats or defecates in your food bag. How terrible its going to be when it rains for days on end, or when you've hiked for 10, 15 or 20 miles and find the tent sites and shelters all taken up already. What are you going to do when its sunny and hot and all the water sources are dry? When the mountains wont bow down to you so your climb isn't so strenuous?

To be perfectly honest,sounds like the box was too small for the contents if reasonable care was used in opening it and contents were damaged.How else you gonna open a box without using some sort of sharp edge to open it?I would be curious to know how far the knife went into the box though..............

Images

How else you gonna open a box without using some sort of sharp edge to open it?

rip the tape maybe? or rather, peel the tape back?

Final assessment. I love having people's input. Plenty of "friend," i ask about this will all side with me. Obviously no one in this group is trying to kiss up to me. I love free speech.

None of the posters were able to make serious unbiased comment about the implied guarantee that ZPacks makes on their website promising COMPLETE SATISFACTION.

When I told ZPacks I was disappointed I got another email saying they were too busy to reply.

I don't think their customer service is top notch.

Everyone assumes I should know about the qualities of Cuban fiber, not sure why. I have never touched the stuff.

I didn't use a crowbar to open the box, I doubt anyone would use a spoon, and I wasn't reckless. I have opened boxes that had been mailed to me for most of my life without any previous incidents. If ZPacks was concerned about their reputation they would have sent a new stuff sac.

I bought some Salomon trail runners for the AT last fall. Wore them five times and hiked about 100 miles. Then on wet blue stone I almost fell twice. How well would they work then on wet stone going downhill with a pack on my back. REI told me when I bought them I could return them anytime for any reason. So I took them back and they gave me a full refund because that is their stated policy. When I returned them they insisted that the expensive Salomon trail runners were The Best Shoes for the AT. The posters here remind me of those knowledgeable clerks but ZPacks doesn't have as generous a return policy as REI.

I will most likely use the tape they send to keep landfills clear and am happy everyone had a topic to rant on. Thanks all.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++