Images

Default Early start for PCT Campo to Kennedy...

I did look around a bunch before asking, there are so many threads on WB and websites dedicated to PCT thru hike start times, but can't find this specific info, as we do not plan on a thru hike, so here goes:

My wife and I want to section the PCT from Campo to Kennedy next spring, starting as early as possible in order to get to Kennedy by about April 24th, as we have another engagement (the Zion traverse) that we have obligated to do, starting April 27th (and we need a couple days of rest/cleanup/etc).

I think I can figure out the time required for us to do this 700 miles; I'm pretty sure we can average 20-22 miles per day, meaning 35 days to do 700 miles with a couple/few neros/zeros, meaning we need to start on or about March 20. If this is too optimistic and we run a tad short of Kennedy, no biggie, but our goal is to reach Kennedy.

My question regards snow issues in this southern 700 miles. I understand there are a few places in the southern 700 miles that we would likely encounter snow starting this early.

We are very adept at snow travel, being mountaineers. We would bring microspikes, axes, whatever it takes to safely navigate these areas, including detailed GPS waypoints along the potentially buried trail. Are we fooling ourselves starting this early or is there a decent chance we can trudge over these couple of areas? Are these snow areas relatively short?

Any information on typical late March/early April trail conditions along the PCT in Southern CA appreciated.

I did most of it during that time. You will hit high wind and its annoying. The snow in the san jacinto area will be likewise annoying, an also in the angeles national forest east of I5. Otherwise, water is available often and the trail is clear. Caches will not be available that early and you'll have some heavy carries. My understanding of your resume is that you are a hiking hoss so i doubt you and the Ms. will be hindered by that section of trail.

G o o d chance of snow at San Jacinto, Baden Powell, and Wrightswood. Look at the elev profile in thta stretch. You'll immediately notice the obvious higher elev areas likely with some snow travel in a "normal" yr.

Yeah, we started early in '96 (April 1) and had snow at all those mentioned above by Dogwood plus some around Big Bear and even some at Mt Laguna.
    If you are mountaineers, you should be able to get through.
    Will you need snowshoes?
    I've found that late spring snow is hard enough to walk on early in the day but postholing problems after 2 PM.

I think Baden Powell will be the worst part for snow that early.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Early start of the PCT 2005. Second to cross San Jacinto behind the Swiss Couple (trail name) and first to co-summit with Preacher Jim (trail name.)

San Jacinto (hut on summit), Baden Powell (half way up).

SanJacento.JPGBadenPowell.JPG
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Images

Thanks for all the thoughts folks! I think we'll give this a shot, now just have to get permits for a specific date, March 20-21 or so.

Magic: when was that pic taken, the actual date ?

Somewhere online I recently saw a 2015 calendar of NOBO starters. The quota was not filled until April 1. Hopefully this year's crop of hikers haven't seen that data.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Correction.
    2016 starters.
    2017 starters haven't seen the 2016 data.
    Sorry about that.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

San Jacinto was on April 25th and Baden Powell was May 8th, I believe. Man, I had to stretch into some archives to find those dates. Some notes to consider. 2005 was the 180% snow pack year. Same year John Donovan disappeared on San Jacinto. From Anza you should be able to get conditions for San Jacinto. If there is a heavy snowpack you might need snow shoes to get into Idlewild. Definitely need ice axe and crampons for San Jacinto/Fuller ridge if there is a snowpack. And likewise if heavy snow pack on Baden Powell ice axe and crampons.

Just as a thought, Walker Pass might be a better goal. Late April is still winter in the Sierra's and KM might not be operational. It's been a while since I've been through there, a JMT thru in 2011, so I don't know what the facilities are like now, but I remember the hiker shower was outside. And they are going to charge you a fortune to snowmobile you to the main road. I'd check with KM to see what's up first. There's nothing at Walker Pass (except a BLM campground) but at least it's a road going east/west that will get you somewhere.

Try to do Fuller Ridge/Baden Powell on a sunny day in the mid afternoon. Baden Powell faces north and is shaded for the most part. If warm weather after the melt /refreeze has iced up the north side of Baden Powell it can be treacherously icy and much of it is steep. It's many switchbacks is how steep it is. And, when they icy up under refrozen snow and after high winds I've seen slippery icy 3 ft+ snow cups and little to no sign of the tread. At these times a short contouring zigzagging switchbacking is in order making your own switchbacks or if you have softer enough snow just get it over with and aim for a pt high on the ridge and bi-sect the switchbacks which you might not even know are there anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Just as a thought, Walker Pass might be a better goal. Late April is still winter in the Sierra's and KM might not be operational. It's been a while since I've been through there, a JMT thru in 2011, so I don't know what the facilities are like now, but I remember the hiker shower was outside. And they are going to charge you a fortune to snowmobile you to the main road. I'd check with KM to see what's up first. There's nothing at Walker Pass (except a BLM campground) but at least it's a road going east/west that will get you somewhere.
    Excellent point, thanks. As I said, nothing magic about KM, Walker pass is only 50 miles short of there, probably an excellent goal. Thanks!

Thanks also, Dogwood, I'll keep all of that in mind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Excellent point, thanks. As I said, nothing magic about KM, Walker pass is only 50 miles short of there, probably an excellent goal. Thanks!

Thanks also, Dogwood, I'll keep all of that in mind.
    I have been up to KM in the late winter, early spring and the roads were open. I believe they plow the roads up to the store but no further west, Sherman Pass is closed. So I don't think there's a big barrier there. I would target all the way to KM, there are huge parts of the Walker/KM section that are either lower elevation or south facing. The parts that aren't could be drop dead gorgeous. In fact, assuming you could resupply at KM I would push on to Horseshoe Meadow. I remember thinking that KM to Horseshoe would make an excellent showshoe trip. Unfortunately I stopped traveling out west for business so I never had a chance to find out.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Consider typical Sierra's entry date for NOBO as recommended at Postholer at KM range about the third to last wk of May, which is usually early, to about the second wk of June. Yes, this is for the PCT north but the snowpack applies also in some of those areas south of there as well.

++ New Posts ++