WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Help! Shoe Size Recommendations?????????

First of all, I am not an AT thru hiker, I do a couple of week long sections a year. That said, I still am having problems with feet size and shape changing, due to a couple of complications.

I used to wear 10 1/2 med, and fit fine with Injinji toe sock liners and mid weight SmartWool socks.
    Over the last 2 years I have developed arthritis in the big toe to ball of my foot joint, now 50% larger. And that caused me to roll my foot and caused plantar facitis. The PF is under control (almost no pain at all) now using Vionics inserts in all my shoes. But my left foot is now 11 1/2 wide!

The real problem is my right foot has changed size very little from the 10 1/2 medium. Short of buying 2 pair of shoes of the different sizes and throwing one of each away, what are suggestions that might work? The heel socket of the 11 1/2 on my right foot does not slide around, but after a 2 day, 22 mile hike my right foot had 2 blisters on toes; left foot no problem.

Has anyone tried wearing an extra sock on the smaller foot? Might that help?

I am wearing Vasque Breeze - the ankle support they give me is great (I have had too many ankle twists and sprains). Don't bother suggesting any type of trail runner, not for my aging feet.

If your feet are two different sizes, there are organization that try to fit people with that issue and amputees. See if they can hook you up with hiking boots, or donate your unused boots to them.

http://www.abilityhacker.com/where-t...fferent-sizes/
    Last edited by egilbe; 08-01-2016 at 22:07.

++ New Posts ++