WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default I have know idea what I'm doing wrong

I can't seem to fit everything into my 65L pack. I don't get it. I only have my tent, rain gear, sleeping bag, pad, and some clothes. I have watched videos and read tips on this forum on how to pack, yet I'm still running out of room. Still need to purchase boots and stove. I have know idea what I'm doing wrong.

On a side note; I have 2 pair of socks, 1 pair of sock liners, camp shoes / water crossing shoes, 1 fleece jacket, 1 wool sweater, 1 pair of trekking pants, 1 wind breaker, 1 pair of long johns, 2 pair of underwear, and 2 shirts. This doesn't seem like an overkill of clothing. Any tips?

I spent 8 days with all my gear and food in a 50 liter bag. Are you compressing your stuff? I had about the same amount of clothes you are bringing. Lay everything out a see what you might not need or can back better

A picture is worth 1,000 words. What pack do you have?

I put my sleeping bag uncompressed into the bottom of my bag (in a loose sack to keep it clean) and let it fill in all the gaps, instead of it being a brick in the bottom.
    Twitter: @mkehiker

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    I spent 8 days with all my gear and food in a 50 liter bag. Are you compressing your stuff? I had about the same amount of clothes you are bringing. Lay everything out a see what you might not need or can back better
    Sleeping bag is in a compression sack. Do I need to compress my tent? clothes are in dry bags.

You might want to try the trashcompactet method and shove your sleeping bag into the bottom of your pack without a stuff sack. That way everything else can sink into it rather than sitting into of a big hard block.

Quote Originally Posted by KidA24 View Post
    A picture is worth 1,000 words. What pack do you have?

I put my sleeping bag uncompressed into the bottom of my bag (in a loose sack to keep it clean) and let it fill in all the gaps, instead of it being a brick in the bottom.
    Gregory 65 Baltoro. Right now tent is loose at bottom of pack, under my trash bag liner.

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    You might want to try the trashcompactet method and shove your sleeping bag into the bottom of your pack without a stuff sack. That way everything else can sink into it rather than sitting into of a big hard block.
    I have my pack lined with the trash bag. I had tent loose under the bottom of trash bag. I will try that again. Thanks.

Are you taking the air out of the dry sacks so that they are not like big balloons? Also I attach my tent horizontally to the outside bottom of my pack. I also have a 65 liter pack. More than enough space for a week out. Additionally what type of sleeping bag do you have? I switched mine a couple of years ago and gain a lot more space because it was less material than my previous bag. Also when and where are you hiking? For example having a fleece and sweater is overkill in certain sections during the summer. I just did a good chunk of MA and I had to sleep on top of my bag in my underwear because it was so hot out.

Lay out all your stuff, as it is ready to go into the pack. (compressed if that is how you will carry it). And share a picture of what that looks like

Are you trying to put your tent in your pack or strapped to the outside?

How big is your sleeping bag?

how much additional clothing/ food are you taking?

Does your pack have a sleeping bag compartment in the bottom that is not being utilized?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You need better help. Call the REI store in Orlando and find out when you can bring all your stuff in to talk to a pack guy. Get your straps adjusted at the same time.

First off, I carry a tremendous amount of crap and know you'll get better pack usage if you strap your tent and sleeping pad and water bottles etc to the outside of your pack. Even get a long narrow Thermarest-kind of stuff sack and stuff it with unused clothing and strap that onto the outside of your pack. Otherwise, where the heck are you going to put your food and fuel and stove?

You don't mention if you're planning a one-nighter, a weekend, 10 days or a 21 day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post

On a side note; I have 2 pair of socks, 1 pair of sock liners, camp shoes / water crossing shoes, 1 fleece jacket, 1 wool sweater, 1 pair of trekking pants, 1 wind breaker, 1 pair of long johns, 2 pair of underwear, and 2 shirts. This doesn't seem like an overkill of clothing. Any tips?
    Ditch the wool sweater. You have a fleece jacket. Are you wearing your trekking pants? Going around naked on the bottom half? No need to put them in your pack. Either wear them, or leave them home. Only need one pair of underwear. You have long johns. Only need one shirt. You will be wearing that.

There is a reason people say to buy your pack last.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    You need better help. Call the REI store in Orlando and find out when you can bring all your stuff in to talk to a pack guy. Get your straps adjusted at the same time.
    This seems like overkill to me, I have somehow comfortably survived 2200 miles of backpacking without asking a "pack guy" how to put things inside a bag, or how to pull straps until they are comfortably snug lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Garlic
    Images

If you're packing all that clothing for summer trip in the SE, it is indeed an overkill.

It should be easy enough to stow the pad on the outside. If it's inflatable, protect it from damage.

My preference is sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack, tent near the top for quick pitching at camp. Sleeping bag comes out last in case it's raining. As noted, often a compression sack will make packing more difficult, as well as stress your insulation.

First time I was able to use a small UL pack, I went stoveless. It was enough volume saved to make it work.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    This seems like overkill to me, I have somehow comfortably survived 2200 miles of backpacking without asking a "pack guy" how to put things inside a bag, or how to pull straps until they are comfortably snug lol
    Totally agree. And whatever you do, never call the Ranger district in the area you want to go and ask advice! They'll probably come up with a dozen reasons why it isn't a good idea and possibly try to formulate a severely amended trip schedule according to their notions of forest correctness. Phew, got that off my chest.

Gambit's right---just grab your stuff and go. If you have to carry extra stuff in grocery bags in your hands, just get out and go. Even if you have to carry a 5 gallon white plastic bucket full of crap, just do it and go. Outfitter clerks won't be able to help because they 99% of the time never used the packs they are selling---and even if they did it was probably for a one night trip, and it was on their backs not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    No REI in Orlando as of now.....I wouldn't count on any REI sales guys to show me how to pack.......taking waaaay to much crap if it's not fitting in a 65l unless your headed out for a Tipi month long walk!!!stuff sacks and compactor bag? Why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Believe it or not, I'd bet hundreds of people quit a through hike every year because of the pain and discomfort that directly results from pack straps that are improperly adjusted. Many people hate backpacking because they don't know how to do this right. Others needlessly carry too much weight on their shoulders and back when that weight should be distributed to their hips with proper adjustment of their straps.

To me a pack is by far the hardest piece of gear to buy. Why? Because the taste test moment of truth never comes until days deep into a trip. And this time cannot be duplicated with sand bags in a backpacking store.

I infer from previous posts that you are gearing up for an April Thur hike attempt.

A 65L pack should be plenty big for everything and 5 days of food, if you made good gear choices. If your using inexpensive (aka cheap) sleeping bag, tent and pad, those all tend to be large and heavy. Since your having trouble fitting everything in the pack, I suspect that might be the case.

A 20 degree down bag will compress significantly smaller then a 20 degree synthetic bag (and be a lot more expensive)
    A UL single person tent will pack a lot smaller then an inexpensive dome tent.
    A foam pad will take up a lot more space then an inflatable pad.

2 pair of underware, you just never know. Nylon briefs take up little space and have little weight.
    2 short sleeve T shirts, plastic of course.
    2 pair of socks.
    One of each of the above is worn, so only one set is packed.
    One pair of base layers, long sleeve top and long johns. Mostly for sleeping.
    One long sleeve shirt ( I use a Dickie work shirt)
    Fleece jacket is good, I usually just use a vest as it's slightly less weight and bulk then a full jacket.
    Rain jacket. I don't bother with pants.
    A couple of bandana's. One's on my head, the other hanging off the back of the pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Lots of Youtube videos exist on that subject. As has been stated, the amount of stuff that will fit into a 65L pack is A LOT. What you've listed should not be a problem unless you're bringing a 3 person 4 season tent and a 0* synthetic bag...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++