Smile Convertible Long Sleeve Shirts?

Hello Lovlies!

Does anyone know of any long sleeve shirts that convert into a short sleeve? I'm having a hard time finding any for women. I'd also like some opinions on them, whether you ladies think they'd be efficient on the Appalachian Trail. Much Love - <3
    “Almost heaven, West Virginia
    Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah river
    Life is old there, older than the trees
    Younger than the mountains, grown’ like a breeze”

- John Denver

Fishing shirts have sleeves that roll up above the elbow and a tab on the inside of the sleeve to hold the rolled up sleeve in place.
    The closest I have seen to convertible. I own several fishing shirts.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I don't have a convertible shirt but I do have arm warmers that I originally bought for cycling. They go up almost to my arm pits and are merino. For the summer I also have a pair sun sleeves that I got off Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by copro View Post
    I don't have a convertible shirt but I do have arm warmers that I originally bought for cycling. They go up almost to my arm pits and are merino. For the summer I also have a pair sun sleeves that I got off Amazon.
    I meet a guy on the Colorado trail with a pair of those arm warmers. "I need to find me some of those" was my first thought when I saw them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...shirt?a=533793

There are also shirts where the sleeves detach usually by way of a zipper at the armpit/shoulder area. I would be careful wearing such on backpacking trips of length though as they can chafe in the shoulder/arm pit area and/or possibly interfere with backpack comfortability. There are also jackets that have arms that zip off to convert into a vest that runners and cyclists use. The Salomon XT Zip Off Jacket immediately comes to mind. You might consider running wear that I've seen where a LS top converts to a sleeveless or tee shirt. I've seen sun waer protective clothing that offers the same feature.

I consider shirts like this for warmth, bug and sun protection or zipped off for cooling and ventilation. I will wear one for traveling abroad, fishing, being out on the ocean, hot desert hiking where intense sun/UV rays and radical temp extremes can be experienced, and humid jungle hiking where I desire a one shirt does it all approach. I always liked full button down versions for the task. I'm answering here as a male though. It's my guess you might be considering what torso base layer/bra you will largely roll with under all this.

One alternative approach I like that perhaps offers greater versatility is carrying two shirts, one a light wt/very light wt tee(which can have a chest zip) and a LS shirt of light/med wt that has a deep chest zip and loose fitting wrists w/ monkey finger holes comparable to one convertible LS shirt.

Heather, you might also consider the apparel and/or possibly reach out to the female backpackers of the AT that are time tested LD hikers: http://walkingwithwired.com/gear, http://www.eathomas.com, http://sageclegg.com

Images

Heather,

I have used this type of shirt section hiking on the AT. The sleeves roll up. I think others have mentioned similar style. I find them comfortable and cool to hike in with the fabric. There are times hiking you may want sleeve coverage for bugs or sun but not something too hot. This style fits that option too. I'm lucky to winter in Florida where I can get these shirts on sale and an "over 50" discount bringing the price to about 1/2 listed. You can look at Dicks or other sporting good stores for them, watching for sales or discontinued colors to save on their cost. Good luck, maybe others have some suggestions.

Link: Columbia Womens PFG Airgal Long Sleeve Shirt http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/...color=BLUEBELL

Happy Hiking

Journal Entries
    Images

Another option I have used for running, but not yet tried for backpacking, is making my own arm warmers. In my case, I purchased a 2nd hand long sleeved polyester workout shirt cheap at a thrift store. I then cut the sleeves off just under the armpits, straight across, made a casing for elastic at the top of the cut sleeves, and presto, had my own cheap arm warmers. The one I purchased even already had thumb holes. I went this route for running as I was doing a race on a cold day, when runners usually abandon extra clothes during the race, and didn't want to abandon anything expensive. It worked well, and I ended up simply trying them to my fanny pack, and then putting them on again at the end of the race. I am saving them to try when it gets warmer when hiking. The Columbia shirt above looks great, but I am a petite size and regular sizes just are not comfortable.

I made my own arm warmers using knee high socks.
    I just cut the tip of the toe area and a small hole for my thumb.
    I found them at Target..lots of colors and fabrics for less than $5 a pair.
    I wear them on cool mornings and take them off as I hike and they easily tie to my pack straps as I'm hiking along.
    Lightweight, quick on/off, dry fast, don't take up much room, comfy, and inexpensive!

++ New Posts ++