WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Leaving vehicle while hiking Collegiate Loop

I plan to hike the Collegiate Loop (clockwise) starting at Twin Lakes in late August, arriving by car. What are my best options for my vehicle during the 12 days or so while I hike? How is the safety at the Twin Lakes TH? Or are there possibilities in the village of Twin Lakes?

I left a vehicle at the parking area at the south side of the dam once for several days with no problems. There are security people who patrol frequently since the dam is part of a hydroelectric project.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Why not start at MPHS.....surely if you stay a night you could leave car there....I'm going in sept but will be hitching from Leadville to twin lakes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

We left our car at Monarch Pass. Wouldn't hesitate to leave it there or MPHS or Twin Lakes. Also, both Monarch Pass and MPHS can serve as a resupply. Both were far more equipped than advertised. the general store at twin lakes also seemed well stocked.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    We left our car at Monarch Pass. Wouldn't hesitate to leave it there or MPHS or Twin Lakes. Also, both Monarch Pass and MPHS can serve as a resupply. Both were far more equipped than advertised. the general store at twin lakes also seemed well stocked.
    What are your thoughts on a food cache near Hwy 306.....thinking about metal 30 or 50 cal metal box with food in odor barrier bag hidden somewhere near where loop crosses Hwy to save weight and time from town stop....ill have time after flying into Denver to drop my boxes at monarch, MPHS and then thinking about cottonwood pass(306). This drive gives me a chance to check out a little of area I'll be walking...trip was pushed back to September..thx Southwest Airlines...at least I was refunded and given a 50% off to repurchase so the $400 ticket is now $200....

Journal Entries
    Images

Like a large enough pelican case maybe would work.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Like a large enough pelican case maybe would work.
    Only need 2.5 days of food and needs to be somewhat bear proof........and cheap.....after removing food ill prob leave at the parking lot with a note saying....free.....maybe leave my number and ask them text me to save me the trip back to fetch after hike...I strongly believe in LNT.....still debating....

I stayed in a campsite in RMNP that had a cable secured ammo box which was in use by a maintenance crew to store food. I think that would work just fine. Just make sure you go get it after you are done.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I stayed in a campsite in RMNP that had a cable secured ammo box which was in use by a maintenance crew to store food. I think that would work just fine. Just make sure you go get it after you are done.
    What are your thoughts on leaving at parking area with a free sign....

Images

Just stayed at the Twin Lakes Inn Sunday night, and I asked the TWI manager about this (I saw this thread on my phone). He is fine with you simply parking in the back of the Inn. However, right across the street is a National Forest parking lot where he said it is perfectly legal to park for 14 days. I'd park there, as it is in plain sight for the town, rather than hidden from sight behind the Inn. There is also a cop right there watching the NFS parking lot. He (she?) works 24/7...

BTW: the Twin Lakes Inn is a fantastic place to stay; great little rooms, fantastic restaurant and bar, very friendly staff. $85 plus tax = ~$95 for a night (what I paid). About half the folks I met there were CT hikers, many of them just having done the collegiate loop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What are your thoughts on leaving at parking area with a free sign....

I would consider that to be littering.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I would consider that to be littering.
    Thx for your input...

Thx for your input...

What's your start date now Salty?
    I'm starting around Sept 3rd, counter clockwise.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    Not to be a busy-body, but why CCW, assuming you're starting at twin lakes? I just reaffirmed to myself how blah the east side is compared to the west.... If you go CCW from Twin Lakes, you'll have absolutely glorious scenery and trail for your first half, then a simple walk in the woods, along a bunch of roads and powerlines for your second half. I'm not saying the east side is horrible, there are some nice spots. It will just be a let down after the glorious west side.

FWIW though, your going at the perfect time! Ahh, September.....

Attached are some pics from the west side, just to whet y'alls whistle a bit. I'd attach some east-side pics, but I actually didn't take any. These were taken, BTW, with one of those Evil and Despised Smart Phones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    Im booked to fly out sept 3 but have to push till sept 18 as I'm without a cold weather quilt/bag... My dumb arse self sold my 15* helium bag to buy a new quilt without the wife noticing..... My new EE enigma is not due in till mid September.....also my wife's (teacher)school starts a little before the 3 so she wants a few more weeks help shuttling our kids to sports etc before I take off...SW came through with a flight a 50% due to there last screw up...flight only $200 now.....I'm going CW from twin lakes as reason CR said....build up to better scenery and acclimate being that I live at sea level.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Not to be a busy-body, but why CCW, assuming you're starting at twin lakes? I just reaffirmed to myself how blah the east side is compared to the west.... If you go CCW from Twin Lakes, you'll have absolutely glorious scenery and trail for your first half, then a simple walk in the woods, along a bunch of roads and powerlines for your second half. I'm not saying the east side is horrible, there are some nice spots. It will just be a let down after the glorious west side.

Attached are some pics from the west side, just to whet y'alls whistle a bit. I'd attach some east-side pics, but I actually didn't take any. These were taken, BTW, with one of those Evil and Despised Smart Phones.
    Amazing pics....damn I can't wait!! What temp range would you guess mid to late sept? 30-65 degrees?

Images

Amazing pics....damn I can't wait!! What temp range would you guess mid to late sept? 30-65 degrees?

Late September can start getting highly variable... Maybe more like 20-75, meaning it might get well below freezing at night on the west side, and probably be pretty darn warm now and then mid-day on the east side. You'll just have to play it by ear on the west-side weather; if it's really cold, choose your camps wisely, heat a water bottle to sleep with, etc, etc.

Late September can start getting highly variable... Maybe more like 20-75, meaning it might get well below freezing at night on the west side, and probably be pretty darn warm now and then mid-day on the east side. You'll just have to play it by ear on the west-side weather; if it's really cold, choose your camps wisely, heat a water bottle to sleep with, etc, etc.
    Thx...anyone put hot water in a Gatorade bottle? Haven't carried a Nalgene in awhile...

Starting at Monarch.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

Thx...anyone put hot water in a Gatorade bottle? Haven't carried a Nalgene in awhile...

I do all the time, but you do have to be a little careful. I put a few ounces of cold water in the bottom of the G-ade bottle first, then pour the hot/boiling water in. The bottle sides/bottom may distort a little, but as long as your cap is tight, no leaks.

Good to hear you're doing east first, aaron.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++