Default Hitching from Snoqualmie Pass to Seattle?

Looking to do Section J (Steven's Pass to Snoqualmie Pass). I'll take the Greyhound from Seattle to Steven's. Anyone familiar with the trailhead at Snoqualmie Pass-- how difficult will it be to find a ride back to Seattle (or at least to North Bend where I can catch the Metro) in mid-September? Thanks!

We did Section J last week, same direction; excellent trip!
    The Sno Pass trailhead is large and busy. I would think that you might find a ride easily if you emerge at a busy time and chat sociably with the folks.
    Although I hope that you will smell better than we did after 6 days out.
    Failing that, wander up the road to the restaurants and gas stations and try there?

Images

Greyhound goes over Snoqualmie Pass daily. I have caught it many times at the gas station up on the Pass. That was a few years ago, but the bus does still run from Ellensburg to Seattle. You might try contacting Greyhound for fare information.

Greyhound hasn't stopped at Snoqualmie Pass for quite a few years now.

That's my understanding.. they stopped that route some years ago...

You may be a bit ragged after climbing the 15,000 ft over 70 miles, etc. Maybe look into a pickup or shuttle at a specific time. That's what we did and it was a relief not to have ride problems at the end of that hike!

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    That's my understanding.. they stopped that route some years ago...

You may be a bit ragged after climbing the 15,000 ft over 70 miles, etc. Maybe look into a pickup or shuttle at a specific time. That's what we did and it was a relief not to have ride problems at the end of that hike!
    Do you have any info on how to arrange a shuttle? Thanks!

Start with people that you know. Or look for hiker services people who offer shuttles.
    My friend was able to buy a shuttle to the start of the PCT from a fellow in Marysville, WA.
    I'm not sure where they advertise, but they are out there, just like on the AT.

Images

I was hiking WA with a guy that needed new shoes in Seattle. He had no problem hitching either way.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

You'll likely be experiencing some NOBOers. Recently hiked NOBO from Crater Lake experiencing some 30-40 SOBOs and umpteen NOBOers. In 08 going NOBO I met a total of maybe 10 SOBOers. Ohhh, how fast time flies and times change. Great times seeing all the NOBOers in full thru-hiker survival mode.

Easy hitch. Dinsmores are still in the area too so maybe check with them on breaking up the ride.

Journal Entries

Had a ride offer in 2013 from a apparently nice person. Didn't accept because I was looking for room for 4, but the offer was appreciated. Just stick your thumb out.

Images

Super bummed to hear they cancelled the Snoqualmie Pass stops for Greyhound. That was an awesome (and inexpensive!) way to get to and from the Pass.

With that, mid-September will see a lot of people still hiking the area. Weekends are absolutely better for a hitch, but there are still those who day hike mid-week. The Chevron-Pancake House area was a great way to meet people headed back to town (Seattle). The trailhead at Alpental works as well - especially on weekends.

If you do only end up hitching as far as North Bend, you might want to double check Metro. It used to be that they did not operate from North Bend on Sundays. On Sundays you had to make it as far as Issaquah, by the Target, to catch Metro to Seattle. If they do operate (things may have changed) it will most likely be a limited schedule.

It is an easy hitch from Snoqualamie Pass. I'd give you a ride but I'll be on the JMT.

++ New Posts ++