Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hey DLP, shouldn't you be pushing for a TRT.

Start at N. Lake. Do the loop ending back at Granite Chief then heading north on the PCT if you feel the weather is in his favor. So many bail out points and access to civilization that it's a safe bet. And should it snow you can go down to town and buy a cheap pair of snow shoes to finish the loop.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Early snow usually has a dry powdery consistency and often forms in small drifts that makes it hard to collect.
    We don't do light and powdery. We don't call it "Sierra Cement" for nothing.

TRT is good if there is no snow. He can start in Tahoe, but he is planning a 60 day solo trip in October and November thru some of the least populated, inaccessible and isolated (not to mention snowiest) parts of California. Nobody can predict the weather 30, 40, or 60 days out.

It is one thing to plan two weeks on the JMT in early October. Planning 1,000 solo miles in 60 days, in October and November, as you first long trip? Can't picture it.
    Last edited by DLP; 07-29-2016 at 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    We don't do light and powdery. We don't call it "Sierra Cement" for nothing.

TRT is good if there is no snow. He can start in Tahoe, but he is planning a 60 day solo trip in October and November thru some of the least populated, inaccessible and isolated (not to mention snowiest) parts of California. Nobody can predict the weather 30, 40, or 60 days out.

It is one thing to plan two weeks on the JMT in early October. Planning 1,000 solo miles in 60 days, in October and November, as you first long trip? Can't picture it.
    Yup, even with tons of prep and research (this very forum itself) I am having trouble picturing it too. Late summer was perfect for me..

But, if I pull it off... then anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    We don't do light and powdery...
    Wow, years of running a winter mountaineering club out of SF to the Sierra's and Cascades and I didn't learn a thing. Yep, you're right- I'm wrong DLP. Forget everything I've said Rybir it's all wrong. DLP knows it all.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Of course we get a variety of snow textures! Some of it is light and fluffy. And some of it is gloppy, heavy and sloppy.

And I agree with you, melting snow for water (no matter the consistency) on a thru hike would be a serious pain.

PS...As a native Californian, I should have known that the water content of the California snowpack is NO JOKING MATTER!!! omg... what was I thinking to bring up such a highly charged, emotional, volatile subject?!?!?! LOLOLOL!

Rumor,
    Give serious thought to a bulletproof white gas stove if you find yourself faced with melting much snow. I own 3 and won't leave home without one of them.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Stupid autoincorrect.
    Rybir!

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

PS... I do apologize and don't want to sound like a know it all.

I also don't want someone to be under the impression that the snow ends in the High Sierras and there is no snow north of Tuolumne Meadows in November.

Have a good weekend!

Well at least this thread has gained traction... haha

Highly doubt anyone here knows much through personal experience of the Big Foot Trail(BFT). I was attracted to the route as a tree hugger(Horticulturalist) and for its remoteness. There is a significant portion of forest road walking from what I gather. I've hiked some of it and did research on it recently as part of a longer hike - Oregon Coast Tr, which I'm thru-hiking now, currently near Blandon going SOBO, Sage Clegg's Japhy Ryder Route - http://sageclegg.com/expeditions/japhy-ryder-route/ , and the Cali Coastal Tr. I'd want to be DONE with the BFT by late Oct/early Nov! as the route follows some remote little used trails that absolutely do experience snowpack. I'd have all the Wilderness Area maps(your 15 days will include) and BFT Guidebook the BFT SITE RECS TOO! http://www.bigfoottrail.org/route/guidebook/

Have fun. Seems you're still not solid on your route. Wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Highly doubt anyone here knows much through personal experience of the Big Foot Trail(BFT). I was attracted to the route as a tree hugger(Horticulturalist) and for its remoteness. There is a significant portion of forest road walking from what I gather. I've hiked some of it and did research on it recently as part of a longer hike - Oregon Coast Tr, which I'm thru-hiking now, currently near Blandon going SOBO, Sage Clegg's Japhy Ryder Route - http://sageclegg.com/expeditions/japhy-ryder-route/ , and the Cali Coastal Tr. I'd want to be DONE with the BFT by late Oct/early Nov! as the route follows some remote little used trails that absolutely do experience snowpack. I'd have all the Wilderness Area maps(your 15 days will include) and BFT Guidebook the BFT SITE RECS TOO! http://www.bigfoottrail.org/route/guidebook/

Have fun. Seems you're still not solid on your route. Wish you well.
    Thank you Dogwood. Yes, the BFT was and hopefully, still is shaping up to be more of an intensive finale to the hike. I have a propensity towards horticulture. You will have to expound (if you'd like) on what type of research you conducted and/or what your profession is. Botany is vaguely my professional path as of now. And I am looking for inspiration and creative ideas everywhere I can find them.

Good luck the rest of your way. How is the Oregon Coastal Trail? You're not too far from Brookings!

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Thank you Dogwood. Yes, the BFT was and hopefully, still is shaping up to be more of an intensive finale to the hike. I have a propensity towards horticulture. You will have to expound (if you'd like) on what type of research you conducted and/or what your profession is. Botany is vaguely my professional path as of now. And I am looking for inspiration and creative ideas everywhere I can find them.

Good luck the rest of your way. How is the Oregon Coastal Trail? You're not too far from Brookings!
    Formally, I'm a Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist but at heart I'm a tree hugger and plant geek. I got lots of exposure to new plantings including some larger trees, largest in the state of Oregon, on the Oregon Coast Tr. In Port Orford until tomorrow. Only about 4-5 days until I'm done with the OCT. As great as the OCT has been looking forward to the PCT NOBO from Crater Lake NP and the Umpqua River Tr WEBO to Roseburg. I need a change from the wind and sand.

I considered picking up the BFT in Crescent City Cali at the completion of the OCT(it ends near Crescent City). As said, and I'll strongly repeat, for the BFT I would definitely have the BFT trail description of the BFT Guidebook and have the Wilderness Area maps that cover the trail or segments of the trail(ROUTE?) that will be traveled. This is often a remote hike on little used trail, not always seeing much maintenance. I would know how to navigate either through map & compass and /or GPS. I expect you're seeking to pick up the BFT somewhere near Seiad Valley? I'll tell you unequivocally the PCT segment of the BFT will be a navigating luxury compared to some other parts of the BFT!!!

A modest bump.

Finalizing my own plans for early September. Investigating the South San Juan Wilderness Area. Thanks MAGS!
    The CDT is still looking good. SOBO from Wolf Creek Pass. If you can start in September. 6-8 weeks from there to the border.
    What is your latest start window?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Finalizing my own plans for early September. Investigating the South San Juan Wilderness Area. Thanks MAGS!
    The CDT is still looking good. SOBO from Wolf Creek Pass. If you can start in September. 6-8 weeks from there to the border.
    What is your latest start window?

Wayne
    Sounds like a solid plan. My latest starting window is actually unrestricted.

Sorry. Should have said what is your current start and finish time window?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sorry. Should have said what is your current start and finish time window?
    Wayne

Got ya. Start some time early to mid October... finish early to mid December.

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Got ya. Start some time early to mid October... finish early to mid December.
    Wow, writing that is making me realize original plan is very unlikely because being in NW Cali in late November to December probably won't be too friendly weather wise. Thinking the Arizona Trail is actually becoming a major contender. I have all my resupply info for original plan already put together on a Google Sheet ..oh well. haha

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++