WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Gloves for black flies?

We are planning a start date of June 10th for our SOBO thru hike in 2017. I have read everything I can find related to dealing with black flies, so we know to wear light colors, long sleeves and pants tucked into our socks, a head net, and use a repellent. Even with all of that, people still report being bitten and it seems like the hands would be an obvious exposed area. Does anyone wear light gloves when they are bad?

The thought of having to spend a week or two covered from head to toe is not something I'm excited about, but I've always been the guy who gets eaten alive and even a simple mosquito bite swells quite a bit...Strange thing is I'm from Northern Michigan originally and I know they exist up there, but I cannot remember ever having any problems with them.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

FWIW, I use a pair of light NSR paddle gloves for a variety of reasons, one of them for biting insects. I use the fingerless type with the padded palms, they are very light, dry very quickly, provide blister protection when using trekking poles, and provide hand protection when moving through brush or over steep rock. I have been in heavy swarms of various biting insects, and with the gloves on, never had an issue.

http://www.ems.com/sea-to-summit-ins..._tPhoC9Unw_wcB

ive never seen the bugs bad enough to need this, though.

I've never had a problem with Black Flies on my hands. They like to swarm around your head. Most of the bites I get are around the neck.

It's nearly impossible to keep some of them from biting you. Most people build up an immunity after a dozen or so bites and after that their just annoying. However, some people react badly to Black Fly bites. If your one of these people (and it sounds like you might be) antihistamines might help or change your plans to avoid the worst of Black Fly season (by doing some kind of flip flop).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I had one bite me on my hand in Vermont. It swelled up until you almost couldn't see my knuckles. I took some benedryl and it was back to normal in about 12 hours. They make a special repellent for the black flies, I forget the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    They make a special repellent for the black flies, I forget the name of it.
    Yea, it's called "stay home". There isn't a repellent made which is effective for black flies, they simply overwhelm you with numbers when it's bad.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Get a bug net jacket. There is elastic around the sleeves, and you can pull the sleeves down over your hands. I had to do this last year, because I was getting too many bites on my hands. This year the black flies never got that bad.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, it's called "stay home". There isn't a repellent made which is effective for black flies, they simply overwhelm you with numbers when it's bad.
    No there is. Sawyer Picaridin. Try and provide a helpful answer.

DEET if applied correctly keeps black flies from biting but not from swarming. Breathing them in is an issue, a head net keeps this from happening. When the black flies are thick even eating is difficult and dropping trou can be very unpleasant. With full bug gear and a tent with bug screening a hiker can survive but its not a pleasant experience.

The general comment on DEET is folks confuse concentration with effectiveness. Most studies indicate that 30% DEET is just as effective as 100%. 100% is real hard on gear as it dissolves plastic, like nylon and polyester. The US military spends a lot of money on research and they use 30% DEET with a some other components that make it last longer. The civilian version is 3M Ultrathon. I find it lasts a lot longer than normal DEET and is far less likely to damage plastic.

Treating clothing with permethrin helps also. And I have transitioned from DEET to Picaridin. Much less nasty, but clinically proven effective (neither works as well against black flies compared to mosquitoes). That said, nothing is going to keep the black flies from swarming when they are really peaking, so I prefer to be fully covered with the permethrin treated clothing, including headnet, and skip the bug dope. Or choose another time to be hiking.

++ New Posts ++