WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moosling View Post
    That's a type of hammocking isn't it?
    Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Well played.
    Yes, we have no ______s.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    Hey guys - Planning on doing a 7.5 mile day hike from Pen Mar to Old Forge next Wednesday. If anyone lives in the mid-Atlantic, they are well aware of the disgusting weather we are getting. I was wondering if anyone had some good tips for hot temperature/high humidity hiking? I know that section is under a pretty thick canopy and the obvious ones like water and skin coverage are important. Just seeking some tips from some experienced hikers.

Thanks!
    Josh
    You need to get acclimated to hot weather. Just because a person lives in an area that gets hot and humid doesn't mean you are acclimated to the heat. Most of us spend our days inside air conditioned buildings with brief forays into the heat. That makes weekend warriors more likely to suffer bad consequences from the heat. Check this link out.

http://www.tradoc.army.mil/surgeon/P...tionGuide1.pdf
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Cotton. Now's the time to wear it.
    Cottons OK in some areas, but not in humid SE in my experience
    Clothing get soaking wet, clingy, and chafe the daylights out of you.
    I still wear synthetic, its hotter, but bettter soaked with sweat. It holds less.

I did a 14.5 day hike in SNP 7/17. It was hot and humid although not as bad as this past weekend. I have a high tolerance for heat and sweat, I brought extra water and I started very early. However, I moved fast, probably too fast for the day in retrospect. Even with an extra effort to keep myself hydrated, I had a headache by the time I was done and my muscles were crampy and sore all week. Slow down. Rest. Listen to your body. Give yourself time to recover when it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I would also add if you start getting a headache chug down a liter if h20.
    this is a symptom of heat exhaustion and you want don't mess around with that. it's the first stop on the train to heat stroke, which can really ruin your day.

and it's too late to chug water at that point because your body cannot absorb water fast enough to overcome once symptoms appear. lots of people have guidelines for how much water they drink while hiking but that all goes out the window in hot/humid conditions. rule of thumb - if your mouth is dry, drink more water.

if you feel the onset of a headache, weakness, or slight disorientation, look for a cool shady spot with a breeze and sip cool water or a drink with electrolytes. you can also bring your body temperature down by bathing your skin with a wet rag/towel. don't just do your head and neck but also your arms and legs as these are large surface areas and the evaporation can cool you down quickly...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Hiking season starts in sept and ends in May!!! I stick to water sports in the heat.....in the south that is...
    Yup - the most I will do outdoors in the summer heat is mow the lawn... bugs are a god awful nuisance too
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    if you feel the onset of a headache, weakness, or slight disorientation, look for a cool shady spot with a breeze and sip cool water or a drink . . .
    These symptoms are all I feel when I'm backpacking in the summer. Weakness? Always. Disorientation? Totally.

On a recent 24 day backpacking into Pisgah NF in North Carolina I was into my 10th day of the trip (or so) and crossed Lost Cove Creek and started up the nutbusting Timber Ridge trail in a summer furnace. At the top of a particularly nasty hill I dumped the pack like a red-headed step-turd and drank a half quart of Nuun fizz water. Afterwhich I got up and strapped on the red hippo pack and immediately went back the way I came, thinking I was headed in the right direction.

Causes for such disorientation? Possible answers---The heat-disintegration of important body appendages? All my white brain tissue descending into my prostate and therefore thinking with my crotch? Classic signs of heat frustration? Starting the day with a ken doll crotch?

Anyway, since I was going the wrong way but thought it right I stayed "lost" for 3 hours going back and forth on a scrub furnace ridge. Sucked.

Images

10 before 10, 5 after 5.

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle View Post
    10 before 10, 5 after 5.
    his name was Robert Paulson.

That reference is lost on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Fight club?
    That enough to know that I don't want to know any more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    That reference is lost on me.

it wasn't for you...

I work out side 89% of the day 99% of the week, in Texas 98plus deg. heat with 60%plus humidity. I carry 2.5 gal. of water, 24oz. can of sun screen, and a bandanna. I ware a brimmed hat and work my ass off. Some days I change my shirt 3 or 4 times. I am well trained for "HOT HIKING".....
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Cottons OK in some areas, but not in humid SE in my experience
    Clothing get soaking wet, clingy, and chafe the daylights out of you.
    I still wear synthetic, its hotter, but bettter soaked with sweat. It holds less.
    Exactly, cotton is awesome for the first 15-20 minutes and then I start rubbing parts off...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I use Nuun and carry a tube of it while hiking. A lot of folks think salt is enough for electrolyte replacement but potassium is just as important. If someone is having headaches, sore neck or muscles cramps during and after hiking they need to work on their electrolyte balance. I end up giving away a lot of Nuun tablet when I go on group trips in hot weather as many folks don't factor electrolytes into their plan.

Tried the New Nuun Lime flavored tablets. Ugh, stay far away.

I like the watermelon and grape flavors, never tried lime. It's amazing how a little bit of carbonated fizz water quenches my thirst on a hot day of backpackaging. It's something we don't usually get while hiking---a soda-type sensation, a step below ginger ale. Anyone make a ginger ale fizz tablet?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Tried the New Nuun Lime flavored tablets. Ugh, stay far away.

Lime or lemon-lime? I have the lemon-lime and although I normally steer clear, these are actually good IMO. I usually dissolve them in my mouth and not water though. I only use 1/2 a tablet at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I like the watermelon and grape flavors, never tried lime. It's amazing how a little bit of carbonated fizz water quenches my thirst on a hot day of backpackaging. It's something we don't usually get while hiking---a soda-type sensation, a step below ginger ale. Anyone make a ginger ale fizz tablet?
    I tried grape and they were less fizzy then the lemon-lime. I will give watermelon a go next, I usually like that flavor.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Lemon-lime.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++