WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What clothing to pack for a summer LASH?

Hi everyone! Trying to finalize our gear list for our August LASH (headed NOBO from DWG).

All of the backpacking trips I've done so far have either been in the spring and fall (aka COLD at night, moderate or warm during the day) or summer at higher elevation (Grayson highlands in July, was glad I brought my puffy).

I keep going back and forth on what clothing exactly to pack for this trip. I'm expecting it's just going to be HOT and I'm not going to need anything super warm since the trail is pretty low elevation in that area, right?

Should we bring something like a fleece anyway? It's bulkier than I'd like, unfortunately...
    What about base layers? I'm thinking no.

I figured that if I was actually cold, it would be time to get to camp and into bed, but my only concern is that my sleeping bag is pretty lightweight (a 1lb Costco down throw turned DIY top-quilt). It's probably a 40 or 50 degree type setup.

Thoughts? Feeling reckless just packing shorts and t-shirt, but I also don't want to be lugging my fleece all month if I don't need to. (But if it feels reckless, maybe that's my answer right there...)

I'm trying to keep my pack weight down because I have to carry a lot of my son's gear and food as well (he only weighs 65lbs).
    Thanks

Journal Entries

Depends on how far you're going. DWG thru NJ wouldn't be a huge concern maybe. But we did the Whites July 1-10, and needed some insulation at night.

We have one month, but really have no idea what our mileage would be (we have generally done 10mpd in Virginia... so maybe more in NJ/NY but maybe not with days off). I'm hoping to at least get through NJ and NY and then we'll see from there how it goes...

I found this article, written by Andrew Skurka, helpful -- http://andrewskurka.com/tag/core-13/

most lists suggest 3 layers (base, insulation, shell) but I like 4 lighter top layers because it lets me fine tune more easily. I don't need much on my legs, especially if I'm moving. In summer, I take both synthetic short sleeve and long sleeve shirts, 1 pair shorts, long johns, micro fleece shirt, a wind shell and a poncho. I don't take long pants or rain chaps, etc..

the last two weeks of June I did a section from Roan Mtn to Damascus and was cold sleeping my first two nights at elevation with a 40* quilt wearing everything except the short sleeve shirt, shorts, and poncho. conditions changed really quickly after the sun set from hot days to total cloud/fog encapsulation with high winds. I sleep in a hammock so my exposure to winds is greater than a tent so take that for what it's worth...

I don't do LASH's, just SASH's. Even down south here at elevation in the summertime, I bring some type of insulation and a hat. It's usually a 100 wt cheap fleece pullover and a fleece hat.

Shorts and or a skirt on bottom.
    T-shirt or loose button up shirt on top.
    Patagonia Houdini for a shell, may bring a similar pant for evenings or bugs.
    Patagonia Cap 4 for insulation. (basically a 100wt fleece, but a bit less bulky.

Sleeping gear and a fire if desperation strikes.
    My quilt can be worn as a puffy inside my Houdini, likely you could come up with something similar.

As the lurker belle pointed out- It's always winter in the Whites- but sounds like yer likely to be fine where you're going.

It will likely stay beastly hot well into August this year. However, towards the end of the month and farther north, there's a good chance of some very nippy mornings, like in the mid 40's.

For me, I always carry a long sleeve shirt and rain jacket. For extra warmth in late summer I use a thin fleece vest.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How do you tell if something is "100wt" fleece? Mine is a quarter zip from costco. Generally things like Patagonia are out of my price range, but I'm curious

Sounds like I should be good with the fleece, frog toggs top, and quilt in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by JackThLion View Post
    How do you tell if something is "100wt" fleece? Mine is a quarter zip from costco. Generally things like Patagonia are out of my price range, but I'm curious

Sounds like I should be good with the fleece, frog toggs top, and quilt in an emergency.
    is it one of the Fila ones they were selling? that 1/4zip is close enough.

is it thin enough to not bind your arms when you bend them, or is it thick like a wool sweater? 100wt is about the thinnest fleece you can get these days unless it's is "grid" fleece or "micro" fleece...

My "100 wt" fleece is from Wal Mart. No, it's not as good quality or as warm as name brands. But for less than 10 bucks, on sale, it does the trick. I don't cry if a campfire ember burns a hole in it.

Another perspective: I did Damascus to Pearisburg two weeks ago. It was hot. The only clothing I brought other than the Pgucci Cap 1 tank, 9 Trails shorts, and Injini toe socks I was wearing was one extra pair of injinjis, a buff (used to wash my butt mostly), and a Houdini jacket which I wore for maybe 5 minutes over 6 days/154 miles. My 40 degree quilt was too warm at night. I hiked shirtless a lot.

When I walked in to Pearisburg I went straight for the Goodwill to get a nice fresh outfit for dinner at the Mexican joint.

Go lite!

Images

A month can get you 300-500 miles, depending on your pace. When we hiked in Vermont in July, I had a very light 45-F quilt, and took my ultralight puffy for extra insulation and a hood at night. I ended up wearing it in the morning around camp when it was in the 50s. So in your case I'd take a fleece, sure. It makes a nice pillow at night, too.

I'd wear nylon shorts, my ultralight s/s merino wool top, wool socks and trail runners, and a nylon ball cap. I'd carry a second set of shorts, my l/s merino top, a light fleece or my puffy, a light fleece hat, a rain shell and rain kilt, and some spare socks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm hiking on that section (SoBo) with my GF now. She is a very cold sleeper and for the past few weeks she's been sleeping in just a liner. If the temp dips in the middle of the night she will get out of the liner and use her open sleeping bag like a quilt.

As as far as layers go we've both sent back our puffys and our wool base layers. We have our worn clothes and are both packing wind shirts and a fleece hat for if it gets cold. We have rarely had to use the wind shirts and havnt used the hats once since sending back the rest of our stuff in Vermont. It is hot!

Thanks everyone. We did end up bringing our fleeces but have only used them once, maybe twice so far. Definitely would have been fine without too! Our mileage has turned out to be way slow because of the ten year old's desire to play in all the creeks... LOL. so I don't think I have to worry about Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by JackThLion View Post
    Thanks everyone. We did end up bringing our fleeces but have only used them once, maybe twice so far. Definitely would have been fine without too! Our mileage has turned out to be way slow because of the ten year old's desire to play in all the creeks... LOL. so I don't think I have to worry about Vermont
    are you still out there? I have a feeling you'll get some use out of them before long. temps this time of year are really unpredictable, particularly at any elevation. I wouldn't chuck'em just yet.

I missed in the first post that you were taking your 10 yr old son. how awesome!..

Sooooo.... Whats a LASH? BASH?

Journal Entries
    Images

Long as section hike

Yeah! Still out here. We are taking a zero tomorrow near Falls Village, CT and then have five more hiking days before the real world makes us go home. Just hit 200 miles. My son wants to push and hit 250 so that's our goal
    Re: clothing... we had one random 49 degree night where I wish I had leggings, but that's my own fault for not having a very warm sleeping bag too. We are using DIY down quilts that I made from
    those Costco down throws. They only weigh 1 lb each and have been great for all the other nights though!

++ New Posts ++