WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PA Trail Suggestions- criteria

I will be attempting my first section hike alone next month. Previous to this I've only done short sections of the AT (less than 13 miles) with a group of friends. It will only be an overnight trip. I am looking for AT suggestions that meet the following criteria:

• Relatively easy- no drastic and steep changes in elevation
    • Close to Philly suburbs- I'm not looking to drive 3-4 hours from home
    • Reliable spring at campsite or shelter- I would like to camp close to a water source
    • Manageable distance from start to finish- I don't want to hike more than 10 miles

I've outlined this criteria based on my experience level, which is obviously beginner. I am the type of person that prefers to take things in steps, with caution, rather than jump in and attempt to tackle a hike beyond my skill level. Additionally, with this being my first hiking experience alone I'd like to have an enjoyable time.

TY

Images

Do you have a guide book and mapset for PA? You may not know this but PA from Port Clinton N is essentially long flat/rocky ridges punctuated by short very steep ascents/descents.
    SO I am not sure what you mean with no drastic/steep changes. Also are you seeking an in and out type hike?
    Of the 2 spots I can think of that might fill your need:
    1) is the area near St. Anthony's wilderness/Rausch Gap. You can hike the AT in (A gentle climb trgouh a second growth forest) and then take the rail trail back out. Around 11-12 miles in all. http://www.midatlantichikes.com/rauschgap.htm. TH is long parking lot at GOld Mine Road, Off PA State Rte 325, Not far from Fort Indiantown Gap.
    2)Alternatively you can do an in and out from Rte 183. Head south about 3-4 miles to Hertlein Campsite along an old Dam. I don't recall the elevation change being much whatsoever. The campsite is next to an old small reservoir/dam. Warning - a lot of boy scout traffic is there in the summer and fall.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

That is a lot of stipulations for only 230 miles worth of trail. Most people, including myself have a minimum of a 3 hour drive, and for others, that is a pipe dream. as far as nice sections of PA, most people I talk to that have hiked the whole trial, dislike PA more so then other states. It is rocky and suffers from drought in the late summer more so then other states. If I had to suggest a section it would be from Pen Mar Park to Duncannon, or anywhere in between.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

First, I'm very green so take that into account. Second, I'm planning to do Windsor Furnace to Eckville, Loop Hawk Mountain back to Eckville, the out Windsor as a 3-day with my daughter in September. Now that being said, I"ve done the Pennicle loop before and it's an good 10-mile day hike up to Eckville. There is some climb but its not too bad (all things being relative and subject to the opinion of the hiker I suppose) but it shouldn't be a huge challenge. Eckville shelter has water and a flusher (bonus). You could hike there and back to Windsor as an overnight. If you pick this route note that you need to contact the Hamburg PD and let them know you're going to leave your car at the reservoir lot overnight. They don't charge you to do it but they will ticket you if you don't tell them.

While this hike is longer than what you are looking to do right now you may want to think about it as you build up to a longer hike. The Old Loggers Path is a loop hike in NE Pa that is about as flat as you will come across in Pa. It has easy camping spots. One of them is along a very nice stream. It does not have shelters though.

I have purchased the AT Guide which should be arriving this week.

There are some good suggestions here that I will research. The Rausch Gap Look looks interesting. Thank you Hang R, eabyrd, Gambit, and Toolshed for your input.

My reason for having specific criteria is entirely equated to this being my first alone overnight hike. I am nervous. I can understand how to the large majority one night alone isn't a big deal.

Boiling Springs to Duncannon is a very easy section. You would end with Hawk Mountain and then you can get some food in Duncannon before driving home. Looks like it's about 2 hours from Philly.

I've done Caledonia State Park (us 30) to a little past Rauch Gap. For an overnighter you could do 10 miles in and 10 back starting at Caledonia state park and overnighting at Birch Run Shelter. It has a nice stream for water and several camp sites.

I also did a overnighter pa850 to hawk Rock, then back to Cove Mountain Shelter area for camping and then back to pa850. This is a total of about 14 miles.

You could also consider getting a shuttle ride so that you do not have to go out and back. Then you could do a 20 mile section with one overnight

++ New Posts ++