WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water in Connecticut to MA

Going to be Hiking CT through MA beginning Friday. Will we find reliable water supplies daily?

Quote Originally Posted by markinohio View Post
    Going to be Hiking CT through MA beginning Friday. Will we find reliable water supplies daily?
    Conditions are pretty dry in CT. We didn't have a lot of trouble finding water, but the mapped and/or named streams were running very low to try along the ridges and high points. The smaller "step across" brooks may be dry. You may have to walk a little ways down hill to find water in some of the streams where aquifers are still active and putting water into them. There is standing water in small to midsize ponds, though filtering is a good idea as many of the smaller ponds are turning stagnant. I would avoid using water from the Housatonic River due to long term chemical contamination.

Thank you!

One more question of opinion...my initial plan was to walk southbound Stockbridge, MA to Kent, CT. Any reason northbound is a better idea?

Quote Originally Posted by markinohio View Post
    One more question of opinion...my initial plan was to walk southbound Stockbridge, MA to Kent, CT. Any reason northbound is a better idea?
    Either way will have its challenges and rewards. I have done both ways along that stretch of trail and liked both directions. Some people find the ascents moving south are a little steeper and more challenging than moving north on the trail, however I tend to prefer moving up difficult ascents as opposed to down myself. Your plan would seem in line with that.

Have fun!

Going south you would get the benefit of the flattest section of the trail (along the Housatonic) just prior to the end of your hike, where Northbound it would be near the beginning.

Of course that can be offset by climbing (Southbound) or descending (Northbound) the ledges just after/before the flat part.

Schagticoke Campsite is usually good along with Riga and Sages Ravine

Images

Been out several weekends in the last month from the ny line to rt 7 in sheffield mass and this is what i can report on water sources i saw. in mass : sages ravine brook and bear rock stream were in good shape. the brook by glen brook and hemlocks was very low and muddy. race brook had just enough to gather water but it was not a very desirable source. in southern ct, thayer brook, stewart hollow brook and stony brook are in good shape. there's a well at ten mile shelter and at silver hill. the brooks at algo shelter and schaghticoke mtn campsites were dry. id guess based on that, sharon mtn campsite would be same regarding water source. limestone spring has a piped spring so should be ok. i dont know the status of the water source at riga, brassie brook, ball brook or ceasar brook. people left jugs of water at hoyt rd and the rt 55 lot this past weekend. my advice is fill up where you can when you have the opportunity. trail angels have been great about leaving water but dont count on it. always filter, and never drink from the housatonic river.

people have been leaving a cooler with jug water at the gate at south egremont road.

stewart hollow stoiny brook
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

I just walked out of Mass southbound yesterday. I had no probloms with water, I generally carried a 1.5l at a time. In all the dry sections I found water jugs. CT is fine so far.

See the report at this link for latest on water...raining in CT today. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...eferrerid=2541

Cosmo

If you stop at the Housatonic high school after Belters Campsite, you may be able to get water at the greenhouse or the sports fields behind the school if the water fountain is working.

Images

Just got back from that stretch going NB a few weeks ago. The ups heading south are a lot worse that heading north. lots of trail magic out there. scored a klondike bar on a 95 degree day. I asked the guy to marry me.

I asked the guy to marry me.

And......?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    I asked the guy to marry me.

And......?
    Brings a whole new level to "what would you do for a Klondike bar"

No engagement party?

Images

Hey, just bumping this up to see if anyone's been out in CT this week and has an update on water for me. I know we've had some pretty strong t-storms this week and was hoping conditions had improved. My daughter and I are hoping to grab a quick last-minute trip before she leaves for college, but from what I'd heard last month, hikers in CT were reliant on trail angels to provide any water at all. Have things changed?

Jane

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. We'll be hiking Jug End to Falls Village next week.

++ New Posts ++