WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post

CORRECTED INFO

Grayson Highlands Hike & Thomas Knob Shelter Picnic

Friday, October 14, 2016 10:00am to ?
    Hike: approx. 6mi loop from Massie Gap Parking Lot
    Shucks, I would have loved to come and hike with you but my vacation doesn't start until 10/19.
    Trillium

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Shucks, I would have loved to come and hike with you but my vacation doesn't start until 10/19.
    sick days?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

CORRECTED INFO

Friday, October 14, 2016 10:00am to ?

Attendees:
    Teacher
    Gumball
    Moose717
    Grampsb
    Many Moons x2
    Deer Hunter
    and maybes for:

Frontovik 193
    wobbles
    jpolk84
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 09-24-2016 at 00:32.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

and maybes for:

Frontovik 193
    wobbles
    jpolk84
    LAST CALL !!!!

We're heading out soon and won't be available to check in on this post, so please let me know if you're coming by PMing me your contact phone # before Thursday and I'll reply with mine. This should be fun . I hope to see a bunch of folks there, and properly introduce Gumball to the WB community!

Images

Can't wait Teach! Hopefully I'll be packed and ready to go by then
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moose717 View Post
    Can't wait Teach! Hopefully I'll be packed and ready to go by then
    Packed, not packed, whatever. We'll just throw it all in the back of the van!

Journal Entries

Default Can make it Saturday not Friday

Looks like we will be in Boone, NC for the Friday evening. I plan on doing this hike on Saturday. Wish we could have made hike with ya'll on Friday. Have a great hike. Hike On!!!!

Many Moons
    I'm organizing another get-together to celebrate returning to the trail after a too-long hiatus. It consists of a group hike up to Thomas Knob Shelter in the Grayson Highlands (and back) with a celebratory picnic (BYO) at the shelter. This hike is open to all, and a great way to meet other WBers!

If interested, please either sign up here or PM me

(Of course there'll be trail magic bags for all!)

Friday, October 16, 2014 10:00am to ?

Attendees:
    Teacher
    Gumball
    Moose717
    Hikermom
    Grampsb

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Looks like we will be in Boone, NC for the Friday evening. I plan on doing this hike on Saturday. Wish we could have made hike with ya'll on Friday. Have a great hike. Hike On!!!!

Many Moons
    Sorry we'll miss you this time MM. There'll be more opportunities

Journal Entries

Default Trails

What trails in the Park do you take for this hike? I printed off a park map, but does not list where Thomas Knob shelter is or high point of area. Thanks! hike On!!!

Many Moons

I'm organizing another get-together to celebrate returning to the trail after a too-long hiatus. It consists of a group hike up to Thomas Knob Shelter in the Grayson Highlands (and back) with a celebratory picnic (BYO) at the shelter. This hike is open to all, and a great way to meet other WBers!

If interested, please either sign up here or PM me

(Of course there'll be trail magic bags for all!)

Friday, October 16, 2014 10:00am to ?

Attendees:
    Teacher
    Gumball
    Moose717
    Hikermom
    Grampsb

Journal Entries

Looks like I won't be able to make it

So how did the hike go? Will you be posting photos, Teacher?

Grayson Highland ponies are transplants from Assateague Island in VA where it is illegal in both places to feed or pet the ponies. At Assategue Rangers enforce this park rule diligently. Suggesting or implying 'come pet the ponies' even if intended metaphorically is in bad taste as there are those who will believe and act on anything said or suggested on the web. In Grayson I've seen Rangers disrupt and sternly chastise people who feed and touch the ponies. Even though in both places the ponies are semi wild seeming they are still wild. The saying 'keep wildlife wild' is a rather common admonishment. Wildlife is to be enjoyed at a distance with respect to keeping it wild for its own sake. Neither place is a human petting zoo.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    So how did the hike go? Will you be posting photos, Teacher?
    I will Tiptoe, but not until Nov 3. Most of the pics have Gumball in them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Grayson Highland ponies are transplants from Assateague Island in VA where it is illegal in both places to feed or pet the ponies. At Assategue Rangers enforce this park rule diligently. Suggesting or implying 'come pet the ponies' even if intended metaphorically is in bad taste as there are those who will believe and act on anything said or suggested on the web. In Grayson I've seen Rangers disrupt and sternly chastise people who feed and touch the ponies. Even though in both places the ponies are semi wild seeming they are still wild. The saying 'keep wildlife wild' is a rather common admonishment. Wildlife is to be enjoyed at a distance with respect to keeping it wild for its own sake. Neither place is a human petting zoo.
    Dogwood, please don't take offense, but ..... bite me. I'm really tired of the holier-than-thou attitude I've received over this. I tried to make it clear that my phraseology was for the sake of alliteration and not actually a recommendation to defy the regulations regarding the ponies. For my efforts I've already been personally attacked and accused of being of "low morals". For what? For assuming WhiteBlazers can read the "do not touch" signs and know better than to violate the park regulations despite my colorful portrayal?

I'd appreciate it if all the naysayers would relax enough to realize that not everyone is out to threaten wildlife, the environment, the trail, etc. I'm capable of both respecting and enjoying the aforementioned. I refuse to take responsibility for the behavior of others however.

Journal Entries

If ponies were wild, Id be all over people for petting and feeding as well.
    But they arent.
    They are only feral in a somewhat loose sense as well, having been placed there, and somewhat managed.
    They receive yearly checkups from a vet for petes sake.

they are like domestic ponies in a back 40 pasture.
    A really big back 40 pasture.

Officially discouraging interaction is probably as much to protect people from accidental bites and kicks, as it is to protect the ponies from poor diet, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-24-2016 at 20:52.

Images

Dogwood, please don't take offense, but ..... bite me. I'm really tired of the holier-than-thou attitude I've received over this. I tried to make it clear that my phraseology was for the sake of alliteration and not actually a recommendation to defy the regulations regarding the ponies. For my efforts I've already been personally attacked and accused of being of "low morals". For what? For assuming WhiteBlazers can read the "do not touch" signs and know better than to violate the park regulations despite my colorful portrayal?

I'd appreciate it if all the naysayers would relax enough to realize that not everyone is out to threaten wildlife, the environment, the trail, etc. I'm capable of both respecting and enjoying the aforementioned. I refuse to take responsibility for the behavior of others however.
    Good answer Teacher. Boy did I want to pet those ponies! But ... I am an adult, I can read & I didn't want to take the chance of being bitten!
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

LAST CALL !!!!

We're heading out soon and won't be available to check in on this post, so please let me know if you're coming by PMing me your contact phone # before Thursday and I'll reply with mine. This should be fun . I hope to see a bunch of folks there, and properly introduce Gumball to the WB community!
    Sorry I missed it!

when I was in assatigue, they came into my camp on the beach...what's a body to do but pet them when there nudgin' ya...good for you Teach!

And when I was camping on Assateague Island many moons ago, the ponies would bare their teeth at my kids to chase them away from the water fountains. One even took a loaf of bread (not mine) that was left unattended on a picnic table.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've posted this picture before of our Grayson Highlands visit during Trail Days 2014. To me it portrays the feeling of the place where a child can observe yet be a part of this wonderful bit of nature.

5-17 download 2011-12-31 049.JPG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++