WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default Hennessey Hammock gear to trade

cleaning out the gear closet a bit... I have a hennessey hammock that is about 8 years old and is in perfect shape -- relatively unused. I also have the standard asym sil nylon tarp, an undercover, an overcover (the one with the breathing hole), the hennessey foam underquilt, and the hennessey skinny snake skins which will fit the hammock and tarp only. I think this setup is only missing some tree straps. I guess you could buy it all for around $125 or a reasonable offer, followed by unreasonable offers since I mostly want to clean it out, including shipping continental usa... but I would rather you traded me some ultralight gear for it... not sure what I need, but inspire me.
    Lazarus

lazarus, I'm as green as the come but am looking for an alternative to packing a tent for those times when I don't make the shelter or the shelter is full. Other than the tent, what gear would I be able to drop if I were to send you the $125.00 your asking? Sounds like I could shuck the sleeping pad and bag too for another 6 lb. (my stuff is far from ultralight) but want to be sure. Would also like an estimate of what the rig weighs and if it comes with setup instructions (did I mention I'm green). I've only camped with the family and the scouts and day hiked in the past.

Thanks in advance for humoring me.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    lazarus, I'm as green as the come but am looking for an alternative to packing a tent for those times when I don't make the shelter or the shelter is full. Other than the tent, what gear would I be able to drop if I were to send you the $125.00 your asking? Sounds like I could shuck the sleeping pad and bag too for another 6 lb. (my stuff is far from ultralight) but want to be sure. Would also like an estimate of what the rig weighs and if it comes with setup instructions (did I mention I'm green). I've only camped with the family and the scouts and day hiked in the past.

wow. a serious response! I have to think about your question... you really should research hennessey hammocks and decide if you are interested. ultimately, the overcover is just useful in the dead of winter, very few people like the hennessey undercover/quilt combination and you would probably end up replacing it with a down undercover... and the tarp is minimalist, well at least it is light weight! so... this gear is sort of like buying an english sports car. really, the most useful stuff would be the hammock itself and the tarp, perhaps with the snake skins. You could get me to think about reducing the price if you do the research and still want to go the hennessey route.
    Lazarus

Journal Entries
    Images

The Hennessy is a great hammock if you aren't concerned about ultra light weight. The sleeping pad and other winterizing accessories dont weight much at all, and it keeps you pretty warm. For $125 you are getting a steal.

AT 2012

...eabyrd, you do still need either a sleeping bag or a top quilt to keep warm -- the overcover is just a silnylon cover that goes on over the bug netting to keep the wind out in the coldest of weather.
    Lazarus

Lazerus thanks for the reply and not laughing out loud (at least within the forum) at the questions. I'm going out to do a practice day hike tomorrow but will dig into research over the weekend. I appreciate your honest reply and Greenlight's endorsement and I'll get back to you early next week. Then maybe you can coach me through the whole Paypal thing.. (Did I mention I'm new at this).

Ed

Which model is this? I'll get in line as second on this, assuming I can fit the hammock. Got some gear in the trade box (MLD cuben bug bivy maybe?)

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Which model is this? I'll get in line as second on this, assuming I can fit the hammock. Got some gear in the trade box (MLD cuben bug bivy maybe?)
    the ultralight backpacker. Branford CT? you could come try it out.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    the ultralight backpacker. Branford CT? you could come try it out.
    Thanks for the offer! I'm going to be travelling in one form or another over the next two weeks. If it falls through with Ed I'm all over the invite and the hammock.

Thanks!

I have been looking for an under and over quilt. I already have a Hennessy ultralight. Would this keep me warm through an AT winter?

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by La-Luna View Post
    I have been looking for an under and over quilt. I already have a Hennessy ultralight. Would this keep me warm through an AT winter?
    That would be.... no. The under and overcover are good for what they are designed for -- they are silnylon wind breakers NOT insulation. The Hennessey open cell foam underquilt might be good to about 40 degrees, used with the silnylon undercover. I have struggled through at least a week of snowy nights with it and the recommended space blanket. No way would I do that again. If you have a Hennessey and want to use it for winter camping I would endorse the overcover in combination with a down undercover made for the hennessey like one made by Jacks R Better.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

oh -- and a down quilt or sleeping bag for above...
    Lazarus

Thanks for the honesty! I am looking at the JRB Nest already it is just the price tag that has me halting a bit. The under quilt will cost me more than the hammock! Though I'm sure once I on the trail it will be worth its weight in gold for me.

Well that solves the under quilt dilemma, now just have to find a pack and sleeping back. 😁

I used to have a Hennessey Expedition, these really are comfortable hammocks... Sadly hammocking doesn't really work for multiple people. Good luck!

Just Tom, have at it. I'll not be able to make up my mind and pull the trigger within a couple weeks and don't want to hold you or Lazarus up. Thanks for the information everyone. My head may pop soon given all the info that's being stuffed into it. Need to get into the woods to escape prepping to go into the woods

AT 2012

good luck to you eabyrd. pm sent to those interested...
    Lazarus

Thanks Lazarus, May I reach out to you with questions as I continue to learn?

AT 2012

Thanks Lazarus, May I reach out to you with questions as I continue to learn?

absolutely -- if you want advice from a stubborn ultra-lighter!
    Lazarus

++ New Posts ++