WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First time LD hike; Opinions on my Water Filter System

Hey WB,

I am new to LD hiking. Doing section hike of PCT starting in September: Yosemite to Bigfoot Trail (transferring over).

I just got the Survival Pro Water Filter System on Amazon Prime Day: $45!

I have a 27 oz. stainless steel bottle (7.5 oz)

I was planning on getting a 2L Platypus bladder.

I'm thinking for the system this:

1. Filter right from source into bladder
    2. Transfer from bladder to bottle when needed.

Am I missing something crucial here? For some reason, this seems too simple.

Thank you!

Journal Entries
    Images

All I ever used was a Sawyer Squeeze not the mini and three smart water bottles. Sawyer squeeze is the most popular and reliable filter on the market.

Yeah, I wanted to go with something a little more serious seeing Ill prob use it for other trips where water availability is tough. Also I like the idea of non-plastic reusable container.

What you have listed is fine if it works for you. Ask 20 different people and you'll get 20 different setups. I have a Sawyer Mini but yesterday I picked up the MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter at Amazon with their Prime Day discount down to $47.

With the Sawyer I'll typically have a 1 liter smart water bottle and one or two 2L Platypus bags. The wide mouth nalgene bottles screw directly to the bottom of the MSR filter to catch the filtered water.

If I do hikes with a bladder, I will use a sawyer mini spliced into the bladder line (between the exit tube and the mouth piece) and use the bladder to collect the "dirty" water. When collecting water from the source, I will put a coffee filter or use my bandana to "pre filter" any large particles out of the water. At camp, I will fill the bladder with water and then gravity fill a clean bladder. This way I can have a few liters at camp.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicchicken View Post
    What you have listed is fine if it works for you. Ask 20 different people and you'll get 20 different setups. I have a Sawyer Mini but yesterday I picked up the MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter at Amazon with their Prime Day discount down to $47.

With the Sawyer I'll typically have a 1 liter smart water bottle and one or two 2L Platypus bags. The wide mouth nalgene bottles screw directly to the bottom of the MSR filter to catch the filtered water.
    Nice yeah. Just wanted to ake sure my setup was overall logical. Amazon Prime Day was great. Also got a Swiss Army Camper II for 17 bucks.

Loose the SS water bottle. Replace with any supermarket water bottle of 1 or 1.5 liter capacity. I find that the 1.5 liter size are the best weight per unit volume. I have both 1 and 2 liter Platypus bladders and hoses. Either works well for me. I can carry up to 4 liters at a time if needed. The filter is ok.
    Seriously, you don't need the small stainless steel bottle. It weighs more than the Platypus + 2 1.5 liter bottles.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

After further review, use anything you please. It's none of my business.
    Have a great hike wherever you go.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    After further review, use anything you please. It's none of my business.
    Have a great hike wherever you go.
    Wayne

No I know, it's probably an extra 5 oz... but I like the idea of having that and just not wasting plastic. Kind of makes myself that much more sustainable and efficient. Plus a lot of my gear is pretty light weight. Even stakes I got are carbon fiber Zpack just to shave a little weight. Also sacks are cuben fiber so I can make room for a couple of smaller books as well.

I doubt I am even bringing any kind of stove. I really can't justify the use of it except for coffee, but I don't think my brain will need coffee out there.

But I get the point your making for sure.

Thanks for the reference to the Bigfoot Trail. I looked it up. A nice way to finish a long PCT section.
    Added to my notebook.
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thanks for the reference to the Bigfoot Trail. I looked it up. A nice way to finish a long PCT section.
    Added to my notebook.
    Thanks. Wayne

Yes, the trail seems great so far. The dude that started it and also wrote a book about the 32 conifer species in the area replied to an email today and has been very helpful. Also there is a Kickstarter for keeping the trail going.

++ New Posts ++