WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by DSPeabody View Post
    Anybody have an estimate of how many hostels there are up and down the AT?
    Couple of dozen, give or take. Depends on how you define "hostel." There's no formal designation. Some have been around forever but others come and go. FreeState hostel in MD was wonderful -- but that was ten years ago, and they formally closed down a year or two back. Frats and dorm rooms at Dartmouth? No more, I think. Terrapin Station hostel near Front Royal has been on and off for a couple years now. The list changes every year.

Some are free but offer no services, other than a roof over your head. Jim Murray's place, and Dan Quinn's.

Elmers', NOC, Woods Hole, Ms. Janet's, Kincorra, Teahorse, The Doyle, Hikers Welcome, Shaws... these are perennial, almost. Just a small sampling. But any one of them could shut down "without prior notice" as they say.

way more than a couple of dozen. there are 6 in damascus alone

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I like hostels with a no alcohol policy. It weeds out the party crowd quite nicely. For example, Teahorse in HF is one of the cleanest hostels I've ever seen and didn't allow alcohol when I've been there...

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Some can be really nice and some can be a nightmare. There is a really broad range of. One piece of advice is to avoid free or donation based hostels. I found that these generally attracted the party crowd and the cleanliness was not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Hostels in the North tend to be much nicer. The South, not so nice although there are exceptions. I hiked with a group and we were able to stay in hotels for not too much more than the price of hostels. Having a private bathroom was worth the extra cost usually.

If you like the social atmosphere of a hostel then you may be able to overlook the negatives. Guthook's guide has some information about hostels in the user comments and word of mouth will help you decide as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    hostels are awesome when no one else is around. you get treated like a king. tip: flip flop.
    Engine since you're doing a SOBO with the Misses you'll have more opportunity for non crowded conditions than the NOBO masses. Look for church hostels or those being professionally run or with a good cleanliness no party atmosphere rep AND with private rooms. When you hike through the NOBO masses which could be a few wks time, that might be a period to bite the bullet and look for an inexpensive hotel room or hostels with definite private room availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    way more than a couple of dozen. there are 6 in damascus alone
    I did a quick count from the 2017 Thru Hikers Companion and come up with 57 hostels or similar establishments.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I did a quick count from the 2017 Thru Hikers Companion and come up with 57 hostels or similar establishments.
    That's what I was thinking. The other thread about looking for a hostel to buy amazed me that there were so many for sale, and then wondering just how many of these places are out there anyway? I'm obviously not a thru-hiker but hope to be one someday.

I noted your qualifier "not during the thru hiker season". I've backpacked about half of the AT and stayed in many hostels. I'd much rather stay with the thru hikers. Outside of the bubble, I've run into drunks, homeless people, "lost" souls, and the terminally weird.

Journal Entries

No real party atmosphere during my entire 2013 NoBo in the bubble, just more people, so crowded and snoring. Thru hikers are tired and want their sleepy time time. Some will go out and smoke weed early on, the drinking crowd will be back early from dinner, and most all will be tucked in their bunks by hiker's midnight (sundown).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++