WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Hey Youngblood. I thinks it's almost time to haul my Dana Desig Glacier from Springer to Neels Gap. Perhaps sometime in March? I'm giving a talk March 7 near Blairsville. That's the 6th Anniversary of the start of my hike. Maybe we can plan a little 3 day jaunt starting March 8? I want to revisit Sassafras. As I recall, it darn near killed me in 80+ degree heat.
    Alright, I did the Blood Mountain loop yesterday and my knee did okay. Started feeling a little dull pain on the outside of my knee on the last downhill section going to the parking lot but it wasn't a sharp pain on the inside of my knee like I was having before my surgery. Both knees felt the same this morning going up and down stairs so I think I'm okay for some backpacking, just have to see how it goes as I try getting into hiking shape. I'll see you at the SoRuck and do the saturday hike with you.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Hey Youngblood. I thinks it's almost time to haul my Dana Desig Glacier from Springer to Neels Gap. Perhaps sometime in March? I'm giving a talk March 7 near Blairsville. That's the 6th Anniversary of the start of my hike. Maybe we can plan a little 3 day jaunt starting March 8? I want to revisit Sassafras. As I recall, it darn near killed me in 80+ degree heat.
    Wait about a month and you'll catch wild Columbine blooming. There are healthy patches of Columbine a bit north of Horse Gap, then again at Cooper Gap. I haven't found it anywhere else on the GA-AT.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MDSHiker
    I remember getting water before Sassafras Mtn and still ran out before getting to Justus Creek. It was a cool day but I was hot and tired. I walked over to the creek, dropped pack, took off shoes and shirt, and lay down in the creek. WoooHoooo....it sure did feel good! The other hikers camping by the creek just stood there lookin' at me like I was nuts. Heh heh!
    Something like ..... this???--

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...65&userid=1293
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...65&userid=1293

The water was so cold it HURT for a while.

Can anybody tell me how to get a thumbnail pic into a reply on here?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man

Can anybody tell me how to get a thumbnail pic into a reply on here?
    1. When you reply or start a thread - click on Manage Attachments

2. Select the file that you want to attach. Only certain file types are allowed.

3. Upload attachment.

4. Submit your reply.

Its no more difficult than posting a photo in the gallery.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    Wait about a month and you'll catch wild Columbine blooming. There are healthy patches of Columbine a bit north of Horse Gap, then again at Cooper Gap. I haven't found it anywhere else on the GA-AT.
    Its tempting, but its also 2.5 hours from Chattanooga to Springer. 3 hours if you factor the ride up FS Road 42. I like to try and double dip on my travel whenever possible. I'm talkin' to the Mountain High Hikers on March 7 - they maintain the Duncan Ridge Trail. Maybe you can come over to the meeting? It would be good to see you again.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

OOPS, You are all right, it was Cooper Gap I was thinking of. BTW I know I talked about magic, but this was more of a word to the wise post for those who are about to start and know nothing of the trail down here. I merely was thinking of doing magic at Cooper Gap as a possibility. I agree to hand out water at Horse would be to deny hardship that is necessary, but after the mountain...not a terrible idea, and I may only do it one or two days, isn't the idea of magic that someone gets a little lucky.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    You almost have it right.
    Except that I only had all of the names and locations exactly wrong.

I always confuse the names of Hightower and HorsePen Gaps.

Images

Lightbulb

1. When you reply or start a thread - click on Manage Attachments

2. Select the file that you want to attach. Only certain file types are allowed.

3. Upload attachment.

4. Submit your reply.

Its no more difficult than posting a photo in the gallery.

Hmmmmmm .... I see that "Manage Attachments" now. Had never scrolled down that far before! However, I was thinking or assuming there was a shortcut or even requirement that thumbnails be of pics in the WhiteBlaze galleries. Yes? No? I'll go ahead and try to link to the URLs now and see if I've done it correctly. Thanks!

RainMan

P.S. Well, it's not working for me. I plugged in the URL from the two pages my two Justus Creek pics are on, and it gave error messages. Apparently I'm being dense.

Last edited by Rain Man; 01-09-2006 at 14:09.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Hmmmmmm .... I see that "Manage Attachments" now. Had never scrolled down that far before! However, I was thinking or assuming there was a shortcut or even requirement that thumbnails be of pics in the WhiteBlaze galleries. Yes? No? I'll go ahead and try to link to the URLs now and see if I've done it correctly. Thanks!

RainMan

P.S. Well, it's not working for me. I plugged in the URL from the two pages my two Justus Creek pics are on, and it gave error messages. Apparently I'm being dense.

It won't accept URLs. It will accept files that are resident on your local computer with the following extensions;

.bmp .doc .gif .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pdf .png .psd .txt .zip

In other words, you can't attach an Excel spreasheet (.xls) unless you convert it to an Adobe Acrobat file (.pdf).

Just attach a file just like you would upload a photo. It's not really any different.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Test of methods.
    Last edited by Alligator; 01-27-2006 at 23:46.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Works just like Mowgli said.

This time, I will try a picture from the web. I have isolated the picture in my browser, then copied the address into the Upload file from an Url box.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Works just like Mowgli said.

This time, I will try a picture from the web. I have isolated the picture in my browser, then copied the address into the Upload file from an Url box.
    Did you do it from the URL of a photo in the WhiteBlaze galleries??? If not, try that and see if it works for you.

RainMan

Images

Cool

It won't accept URLs. ...

Just attach a file just like you would upload a photo. It's not really any different.
    Hmmm.. it SAYS it will accept a URL.

And it is not just like uploading a pic, because if I'm linking to a photo on WhiteBlaze, I may not even have the photo on my computer. So, I'd have to download it first, just to turn right around and upload it again.

Perhaps the whole thing isn't worth the bother?

RainMan

Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

That one didn't work, although I think it should have. I think the .bmp threw it off. (I don't know why it's a .bmp either, I don't remember saving the picture as a .bmp) I can't do it with a picture from the WB gallery. I had a short workaround that I thought wouldn't be too troublesome.

1. Download the pic.
    2. Upload into the reply as mentioned earlier.
    3. Included the link.

I think the problem with linking using the URL from the WB gallery is the .php? and the subsequent commands. I think the .php? is a limited query, sort of like a command line query. It asks for i=6164&c=searchresults&searchid=1231 , which is probably the unique identifier in the gallery database for that picture. I do not believe that the manage attachments dialogue box can handle the query.

At this point, it is somewhat of a bother. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. I would bet Sly knows how to do it.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Pardon the interlude, please return to the regular program of Sassafras and water, perhaps 3 liters is a more appropriate choice. It's what I carry on a hot day, regardless of location on the AT, if I'm unsure about water sources.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Someone new to the AT is probably thinking that Sassafrass Mtn. is a real ball buster about now after all these comments.

Horse Gap to the top of Sassafrass is only a 665 ft. elevation change. Its then 510 feet down (or up for you southbounders) to Cooper Gap.

Coincidentally, a couple weeks ago I drove up to Cooper Gap because I wanted to check out the condition of the FS road. We then day hiked up Sassafrass to Horse Gap, grabbed a drink, and then hiked back up Sassafrass to Cooper Gap. Took us about an hour round trip.

Incidentally, the real reason I'm posting this -- the FS road to Cooper Gap and then FS42 to Suches is in the best shape I've ever seen them in and I've been hiking in this area for about 25 years. The Cooper Gap road is almost as smooth as asphalt. Our tax dollars at work.

For you blue-blazing enthusiasts, when you get to Hightower gap just get on FS 42 and walk it all the way to Gooch gap. There's water the whole way and much better views and any climbs are graded. There's also a good chance of scoring a beer or soda from hunters or others driving the road.

LW sitting there drinking a cold one asking these poor dehydrated souls what took em so long. I can see it now!! What really gives me a kick is hearing that its good to let them suffer, teach em a lesson. How they going to learn otherwise? We could teach those lightwieghts @ the PCT kickoff party a thing or 2. Trail angels will ruin your hike- trail magic bad, very bad.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    The Cooper Gap road is almost as smooth as asphalt.
    No kidding? I gotta go see that. So who built that house on that in-holding, about halfway to the ridge from the Camp? Anybody with political pull?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++