WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trip Report of Chuck Keiper trail West Loop

July 8, 2016

Parked at Fish Dam Vista/CKT parking lot and on trail at 4:00pm hiking in a counter clockwise direction. Had a quick rain shower ten minutes into the hike. The hike down Fish Dam Run wasn’t bad, long steep hike out though. The hike down JU Branch was a tough one, the trail was in dire need of maintenance and non-existing in places. I saw three rattlers along the badly over grown trail along JU Branch. The first one I only caught a glimpse of as it slithered over a blow down, its tail rattling. And from what little I saw it was a good size one too. The other two rattlers were medium size just down the trail and needed coxing off the trail. Hiking through the over grown trail knowing you may not see a snake if it was on the trail was very un-nerving to say the least. It also rained while hiking down the JU Branch and into my campsite along Burns Run and Packer Fork Run. Campsite is a nice site by water and the rain stopped when I arrived. At 10:00pm I am awakened to the sound of thunder and the flash of lighting as a storm approaches. It hits by 11:00pm and pours hard but I stay dry and warm in my tent enjoying the sound the rain makes hitting the tent.

July 9, 2016

Up at 6:00am and on trail by 7:30am, later start than usual due to drying off tent before packing it up. Hiked steeply out of Owl Run up to a flat plateau and shortly after crossing Fisher Fire Road there are a couple of nice dry campsites along a jeep road. The hike up Yost Run is a nice steady climb out. I marvel as I look up the steep valley walls on both sides of the run knowing the lovely mountain stream I’m hiking beside did all this. I take an hour long lunch break at the end of Yost Run at a hunting camp. I stripped down to my boxer briefs to dry out clothing soaked from all the dew covered plants along the trail. Sitting at a picnic table to eat, I'm glad no one was around or showed up. The hike through Eddy Lick Run was nice because the trail was freshly maintained. I saw two nice campsites along Eddy Lick, one about half way and the other just past the wooded bridge at the end of Eddy Lick. I camped at West Branch at another nice site by water.

July 10, 2016
    Up and on trail by 6:00am and on trail by 7:00am, hike out of West Branch was pleasant hike along old roadbeds. Once on top you are again on a flat plateau still following old roads. Wild blue berries were rip and in abundance along the trail. I stopped to pick some for my granddaughters who love blue berries. I saw my fourth rattlesnake on the East Branch connector trail just after crossing over Coon Run road and getting back onto the trail. Made it back to the car by 11:30am and headed home.

Over all a nice hike but beware you'll want to wear long pants, quite a few sections are over grown. There are many good water sources along the trail and nothing beats a nice cool drink from a mountain stream (treated of course) on a hot summer hike. Also some campsites listed on other older trip reports I did not see them (mainly along Yost Run).

Thanks for posting. Planning to do the whole thing (both loops) in early August.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Nice report. A friend and I did the West Loop in April. Flicked off 30+ ticks between the two of us on Friday and Saturday, before we woke up to a few inches of snow on Sunday. Strange weather weekend.

Images

I did the whole loop as basically a day hike last winter. (I hiked in a couple of miles to camp for the night.) Some of the climbs were pretty steep and leaves filled in the trail in many places. But winter avoids heat, snakes and ticks in exchange for the shorter days.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I hiked this several years ago. A rugged, isolated trail with some nice streams. If you go back, check out this day hike, Clendenin Branch is a very beautiful stream. Sproul State Forest is a special place.

http://www.pahikes.com/trails/sproul...owl-the-sproul

I had no problems with ticks, mosquitoes at times were pesky by the streams but not bad. I hiked the East Loop at the end of June this year so if anyone would like an update on campsites I thought were good I can post them. Some trip reports I read may have been old because not all campsites were there. I also agree it is "a rugged, isolated trail with some nice streams". I had no cell service and my Delorme Inreach SE would have trouble sending out a text in some of the valleys but it seem to track okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles 2 Go View Post
    I had no problems with ticks, mosquitoes at times were pesky by the streams but not bad. I hiked the East Loop at the end of June this year so if anyone would like an update on campsites I thought were good I can post them. Some trip reports I read may have been old because not all campsites were there. I also agree it is "a rugged, isolated trail with some nice streams". I had no cell service and my Delorme Inreach SE would have trouble sending out a text in some of the valleys but it seem to track okay.
    Would love to get your tips on campsites. If you have a track file (.gpx) with campsite waypoints that would be really wonderful. Please free to email these to me if you can.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Would love to get your tips on campsites. If you have a track file (.gpx) with campsite waypoints that would be really wonderful. Please free to email these to me if you can.
    I saw camping areas in all of the drainages, no shortage at all.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Yes there are plenty of campsites, just some of the ones I read about on older trip reports I did not see. By Boggs Run I didn't any sites and I had read there were some. Also Yost Run and Second Fork I only saw one spot that didn't look used in awhile. My observation is the West Loop has more and nicer camp spots than the East Loop IMHO.

20160709_111833.jpg
    Yost Run Falls
    20160709_184446.jpg
    Campsite West Branch
    20160710_110048.jpg
    Fish Dam Vista
    20160709_094603.jpg
    Sunrise
    20160709_131407.jpg
    Good old Chuck Keiper sign along RT 144

Added some pictures, click on them to see them in full size.

++ New Posts ++