WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exist 451 to Hot Springs, NC

I'm hiking this section on Labor Day weekend and would appreciate any info on the campsites along that stretch. Also is there water at each shelter or campsite?

Images

Three good campsites I remember from that section:

1) Near the top of the climb up from Groundhog Creek Shelter, there's a sign for a blue blaze trail off to the right. There's also an unmarked trail going left about 200 ft to a nice little campsite with a sign "Hawk's Roost". It was almost exactly 10 miles from I-40, which was good first day mileage for me. No water though, so plan to refill at the shelter.

2) About 3/4 mile past the Walnut Mtn Shelter you will come to a gap which is crossed by an abandoned jeep track. Nice little campsite under a grove of pine trees off to your right. Go right on the jeep track about 100 yards and down a steep hill, and there's a small stream at the bottom. This will give you about a 12 mile day if you stay at the first campsite and set you up for another 12 mile day into Hot Springs.

3) Didn't camp at this one since it was 10 AM when I arrived, but it looked REALLY cool. It's about halfway between Bluff Mtn and Garenflo Gap. On your way down to a sharp bend in the trail, if you look to your left you will notice a small plateau off to your left with space for 2-3 tents. You can see it from 100 yards away and it's obviously been used for camping many times. Great views downhill from the plateau, and there's a stream flowing right next to it.
    It's all good in the woods.

all excellent info. As I will be hammocking from Standing Bear Hostel to Laughing Heart in about 1 week (after 3 days of staying in Shelters in the northern half of the smokies). Any other good recommended campsites between these to hostels? I've heard of a campsite at the base of Max Patch. Any one w/ knowledge of this and other campsites?

Mike

Keep monitoring the discussions for water availability. Things may change a lot between now and September. I hiked Wesser-Fontana last AUgust, and Fontana-Newfound Gap last October, and had real problems finding water.

This post was from last year...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hang food. Cook away from shelters. If you hammock, Don't be a bear bag for a bear.

Water sources: Its best to research weather almanacs and area water tables for the French Broad and Pigeon River. Come September, it will probably hot and some what dry.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    all excellent info. As I will be hammocking from Standing Bear Hostel to Laughing Heart in about 1 week (after 3 days of staying in Shelters in the northern half of the smokies). Any other good recommended campsites between these to hostels? I've heard of a campsite at the base of Max Patch. Any one w/ knowledge of this and other campsites?

Mike
    there are multiple spots you can camp right at where Max Patch ends. Also some people camp right at Max Patch even tho they're not supposed to do that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    there are multiple spots you can camp right at where Max Patch ends. Also some people camp right at Max Patch even tho they're not supposed to do that.

There is no prohibition against camping atop of Max Patch...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    There is no prohibition against camping atop of Max Patch...
    lightening can kill tho.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    ... I've heard of a campsite at the base of Max Patch. Any one w/ knowledge of this and other campsites?
    Buckeye Ridge IMO is a better place to camp than either the top of Max Patch or the main campsite AT nobo of the peak. If you look at google maps, the ridge is to the west of Max Patch and you can see how the AT goes nobo past the Max Patch top, turns south and then west skirting the ridge. The main campsite is right at that bend where the trail goes from south to west and there are trails going to the ridge from that campsite. Eyeball the ridge from Max Patch to get an idea of where you need to go since there are many different trails.

Water is not far up at Roaring Fork, maybe a half mile or so on AT nobo. A longs ways normally, but not for such a great open campsite if you want to stop a little early, setup camp, hike up to Max Patch to watch the sunset, then back to camp on the ridge to watch the stars.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

We were just there last weekend and came across the most beautiful campsites. They are located right on the French broad River. To get there, go north on Bridge street through the town of Hot Springs. Go over the French broad River bridge. Stay on the right side. Immediately after you go over the bridge, you will see a guard rail on your right with a path for taking you down to the street level below. Follow that straight up river about 50 yards until you see a wooden bridge. After passing the wooden bridge you will begin to see white blazes. Walk along the river and you should see plenty of camping sites. No water except the river.We plan to go back in the fall. I am not a good tent sleeper but the noise from the rushing river will no doubt put me right to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by getz happy View Post
    We were just there last weekend and came across the most beautiful campsites. They are located right on the French broad River. To get there, go north on Bridge street through the town of Hot Springs. Go over the French broad River bridge. Stay on the right side. Immediately after you go over the bridge, you will see a guard rail on your right with a path for taking you down to the street level below. Follow that straight up river about 50 yards until you see a wooden bridge. After passing the wooden bridge you will begin to see white blazes. Walk along the river and you should see plenty of camping sites. No water except the river.We plan to go back in the fall. I am not a good tent sleeper but the noise from the rushing river will no doubt put me right to sleep.
    Until the 12-1-2-3-4 o'clock trains pass by. Hot Springs is a wonderful town, but the trains along the river are quite loud.
    Don't forget to check out the frozen snack shop past the river at the commercial campground. The hot springs pools are on the other side of the highway.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++