WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Park Rangers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Didn't intend to blame _your_ hunters though.
    No worries my friend.
    And next time you're in the states, let me know if you're in the PA area.
    We'll grab a beer.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLofberg View Post
    Summer is peaking and most of us are ready to hit the woods, mountains, shores or any surrounding we may like. Camping and trekking is a fantastic way to discover our beautiful nature but it also comes with some a few hazards and difficulties. What is your biggest concern when camping / trekking?
    Varies depending on where and how I'm backpacking. Most times my biggest concerns aren't from Nature...bears, snakes, scorpions, spiders, ticks, waves, drownings, getting rim rocked, being sucked into quick sand, eaten by lions,... High up the risk list is usually something involved with humans... getting hit by a car, having gear ripped off, some drunken or drugged up jerk rubs me in the wrong way and will not stop despite my warnings,...

Slips, trips, and falls on trail. Wet or muddy roots or wooden trail construction or matted down wet leaves on descents. Not paying attention to footing and how rocks, logs, landslides, etc will move.

Staying motivated through the suck.

Journal Entries

Ticks, family

Falling is my main concern. I have a medical problem & broken bones don't heal well for me. I have also torn a ligament on the trail when my foot slipped on a rock. Wasn't much fun to hike out with that one. And while I've never had gear stolen, I'd hate it if it happened! And then there's a fear of snakebite. I tend not to see them until I'm right on them.

I don't worry about it much - until someone brings it all up!

't

Quote Originally Posted by lyagooshka View Post
    No worries my friend.
    And next time you're in the states, let me know if you're in the PA area.
    We'll grab a beer.
    ~
    Next time i'm visiting my daughter, who's living in Pitsburgh, I'll take you on this one <G>

Pterodactyls are my biggest fear when hiking. I guess they're not really that big in some ways but it's the wingspan that makes me nervous.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zach ADK View Post
    Pterodactyls are my biggest fear when hiking. I guess they're not really that big in some ways but it's the wingspan that makes me nervous.
    Zach
    mine is tripping over fossils and falling down.

cannibals
    bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    mine is tripping over fossils and falling down.
    I usually don't sit where I can be tripped over......

I don't hike in the summer. I prefer fall and winter when the weather is cold...to me being hot is miserable. Views are better when the leaves are off the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ticks, family
    Funny, u connect the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Hunters!
    Out of season, they are still present in the woods and behave as if the world belonged to them.
    Doing some aftermath of my trips of this summer:
    Hunters were no problem, so you were right.
    Surprisingly the only troubles (if slight) I had were with horses. A flock of them came running towards me across the pasture and started begging for goodies. They were closing in forming a tight circle and when I started shying them away some turned their hind towards me. That got me really alarmed and I got out of the circle before they could start to kick, grabbed a huge stick (this was in the middle of a ski area, so sticks were plenty), and off they went.
    BTW, in this same area in the past few years had been several accidents with aggressive cows, even one or two casualties.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm, this is a bit of a zombie thread, but I missed it the first time around.

What I think is most likely to do me in Out There.

1. Automobile accident while traveling to/from the trailhead, roadwalking or hitchhiking.
    2. Sudden medical emergency miles from anywhere.
    3. Falling.
    4. Drowning.
    5. Hypothermia.
    6. Dehydration

What I think might make me miserable - and end a trip - without killing me. Some of these have ended trips for me, or given me trouble after returning home:

1. Wilderness-acquired dysentery (viral, bacterial, protozoal - with the last being relatively rare).
    2. Insect borne disease (West Nile, equine encephalitis, borreliasis, babesioisis, etc.)
    3. Acute or chronic orthopedic injury
    4. Trench foot
    5. Acute lower respiratory infection
    6. Losing food or gear to marauding wildlife

Virtually everything else falls in the general category of, "if you hear about it on the evening news, it's sufficiently rare that you don't have to worry about it." Human and animal attacks, snakebite, failure of navigation, flood, fire, lightning, and so on all fall into the category of "vanishingly rare if sensible precautions are taken, and fairly rare otherwise." A majority of snakebites, for instance, happen on the hand. Guess what people were doing? Don't do that!

I'm not entirely sure where to put hazards such as lightning and widowmakers, but I don't camp above treeline or under dead branches.

Most of these risks are reduced by orders of magnitude with sensible precautions.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Usually nothing in particular, but I fret about all the things could go south.

Weather, trail conditions, bugs, water, getting decent sleep, eating well, being regular, not getting banged up or sick, keeping it fun. That sort of thing.

Gear, I don't worry about. (A) it doesn't generally go bad, and (B) if it does, it's fixable, as long as attitude is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Making sure I don't decide to say to hell with it and just stay in the woods.
    It's like he can see my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I usually don't sit where I can be tripped over......
    you ole fossil you. LOL

Crossing fast and deep water. Water makes me really nervous, period, so if I came across a fast-flowing river without someone else, I'd be pretty stuck. It's the biggest worry for solo hiking for me...plus I always have a dog or two to think about; I always carry their pack across and don't want them to get swept down river even though they are strong swimmers.

Surprising a bear makes me nervous, but again with above-mentioned dogs, not knowing when wildlife is present is an pretty rare thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++