WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Long Trail Gear List - July - HELP!

While you are all (hopefully) outside enjoying this beautiful 4th of July, I am stuck inside frantically trying to figure out my gear for upcoming end to end hike of the long trail (leaving VERY soon though I prefer not to disclose exact date). My pack weight (including food and water) is currently 45 pounds and I am panicking a little. I only weigh 135lbs so I was really hoping my pack weight would be more like 33 lbs. I made this list in hopes that some of you would take a look and give me advice. At this point, I really can’t afford to buy many new things (or I won’t be able to afford any hostels or anything fun, and that will make me very sad) so I’m hoping for cheap-ish substitutions or things to leave behind only.

I put a ? if I don’t know weight of and individual item.

SLEEPING/SHELTER
    Osprey Ariel 75 pack small – 72 (I know this is big but I’m hesitant to spend $ on a new one)
    Trash compacter bag liner - ?
    REI Quarter Dome 1 – 42
    Quarter Dome Footprint – 7
    REI Joule sleeping bag – 34 (rated to 23 degrees, maybe a bit too warm)
    Cocoon Silk mummy liner – 4.7 (so I can sleep on top of bag if it’s too hot)
    ThermaRest Trail Scout Regular Sleeping Pad – 22
    Exped UL Pillow – 1.6

Considering leaving – Tent footprint, UL Pillow, maybe buying lighter tent stakes (not sure how much weight this will save nor do I know which ones to buy)

KITCHEN
    MSR Pocket Rocket – 3
    Snowpeak Titanium mini solo cookset – 5.5
    Lighter – 0.7
    LFM Titanium spork – 0.6
    Jetboil Cannister 230g – 8.1
    Jetboil Cannister 100g spare – 3.5
    ¼ sponge - ?
    Pocket Knife - ?
    Food – 174 oz (11 lb, planning on going to Manchester to resupply and this is a bit extra in case of emergency/slower than anticipated)
    16L stuff sack (holds food) – 1.6
    50 ft nylon tent cord & cheap carribener - ? (to hand food)

Considering Leaving – spare jetboil canister (100g one). Taking less food?

WATER
    Platypus 3 L Big Zip – 6
    Sawyer mini filter with bag, backflow syringe – 1.6
    Water (if bag full) – 105.6 (YIKES!)

Considering – only filling water bag halfway? Using water bottles instead of Platypus? My original plan was to put the filter inline on the hose, but bring the bag that comes with the filter just in case platypus leaks/fails.

CLOTHES I’M WEARING (I don’t know the weight of any of this stuff & none of this stuff is taken into account when I weighed my pack)
    Running Tights
    IceBreaker Techlite T-Shirt
    Columbia omni-shade long sleeve shirt (sun and bug protection)
    Underwear (synthetic)
    Sports bra (synthetic)
    La Sportiva WildCat Trail Runners
    REI Trail Running Gaiters
    Darn Tough socks
    Black Diamond Hiking Poles
    *note – treating shirt/pants/socks with permethrin

CLOTHES IN PACK (don’t know the weight of any of this stuff)
    Marmot Precip Jacket
    Outdoor Research Rain Pants
    Icebreaker NatureLite Bottoms and Tops (I don’t know the thickness since I bought used but I’m guessing around 100 g/m2, they seem much thinner/lighter than my smartwool midweight pair that is 250 g/m2)
    Columbia fleece jacket
    Some mesh exercise shorts
    Synthetic T-shirt
    2 extra pairs synthetic underwear
    2 extra pairs of darn tough socks
    Smartwool hat/beanie
    Columbia sun hat
    Chacos flip flops – 14.6

Thoughts - Not sure if I want to sleep in naturelite long underwear or if it will be to warm. So I thought the exercise shorts and synthetic t-shirt would be an option to sleep in, but can still bring long underwear in case I get cold. OR, I’m worried the running tights might get too hot during the day and could switch to the shorts, although I like the idea of long pants treated with permethrin to keep the ticks off.
    Considering Leaving – the long underwear (or just leave the long underwear top)? Smartwool hat? I also have a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket that is very light weight, I think 7 oz. It seems like overkill to bring that jacket in july but maybe it’s lighter than a Columbia fleece and I could exchange those? Maybe I can ditch the flip flops all together (or find something lighter for camp shoes?)

TECHNOLOGY
    Samsung Galaxy S5 in otterbox case - ?
    Anker Solar Charger – 12.48
    Goal Zero Flip 30 power bank – 6.8 (not the one I wanted, but will have to do for now)
    Some random cheap earbuds - ?
    Phone charger - ?
    ACR ResQ Link - 4.6 (I can’t leave this behind or my mom will probably die from anxiety)
    Headlamp – 2.6
    3 extra AAA batteries - ?
    Luci Solar Lamp - 4

Considering Leaving – Luci Solar Lamp (OK I know some people will say to leave behind the solar charger, or maybe all the technology here but I’m really looking forward to listening to music and audiobooks sometimes)

MISC
    Compass
    LongTrail Map
    EndtoEnd guide
    Pepper Spray
    Tiny pouch with driver’s license, credit cards, cash, health card
    Small journal & pen

FIRST AID (in Ziploc)
    Ace Bandage
    Small Roll of Gauze
    Gauze squares
    Moleskin
    Suture bandages
    Triple antibiotic ointment
    Meds – Ibuprofen, aspirin (just a few in case someone has a heart attack, you never know!), immodium benadryl, peptobismol – just a few days worth of each item

EMERGENCY KIT (in Ziploc)
    Waterproof matches
    Space blanket
    Small “backpackers” sewing kit with safety pins, etc
    Small amount of duct tape
    Some water purification tablets in case filter fails

I wanted to leave waterproof matches and space blanket but the boyfriend says that’s a bad idea

PERSONAL (in Ziploc)
    Tweezers
    Nail Clippers
    Small bag of wet wipes (20 total in bag)
    Toilet paper roll (cardboard removed)
    Sea to Summit Trowel
    Sunscreen
    Small bottle of DEET
    Travel-sized toothbrush
    Travel-sized toothpaste
    Small travel towel
    Travel hairbrush
    Feminine hygiene products
    Sunglasses
    Bandana

That’s it. If I cut out the following things mentioned earlier [pillow, footprint, extra jetboil canister, carry 1.5L water but use full water system, flip flops, luci lite] that cuts out 5.2 lbs, so I’d still be at around 40 lbs. I know I mentioned a few other things I could cut, but I'm not sure if they are a good idea. Would greatly appreciate ANY input/ideas you all have.

If you bothered to read this long list, I am VERY greatful. Meanwhile, I’ll be over here cutting the tags and strings off everything!

I will offer this list for comparison. There are additional details about my LT journey on my channel as well. https://youtu.be/TKEFTWJffkg
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I will guarantee you will not get far with a 45 pound pack! You need to loose 15 to 20 pounds of stuff.

You won't need the pepper spray, a space blanket, ace bandage, trowel. Some of the other little odds and ends can go too. Sure they don't weigh much individually, but together they add up. Solar charger - totally useless. "Solar lamp"? cute but not needed.

You don't need much for clothes, it's gonna be warm for the most part. Rain pants not needed. Any rain will be in the form of quick moving thunder storms, your not going to be hiking in steady rain all day. Have one set of clothes you hike in, shorts and T. One set for camp, long sleeve top, long pants. For sleep you just need a clean top.

It can get chilly early in the morning, but that's incentive to get moving. You go to bed when it gets dark. Bring the down jacket if you must, but it's unlikely you'd use it or the fleece jacket.

Carry less water and get lighter or less food.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Slogoen, thank you for responding. I will remove the clothes you mentioned and emergency blanket. I dont think solar charger is "useless" but it is unnecessary. But
    how do you dig a cat hole without a trowel? This is what Ive always used on shorter trips. As for pepper spray, its very small and solo hiking and hitchhiking as a woman, I think its worth a few oz.

I know I need to cut out a lot of weight. Maybe I need to suck it up and buy smaller/lighter pack......

Vermont has plenty of privy's and you should use them. Yes, a solar charger is useless - unless you plan to spend 12 hours in the noon day sun.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A few random things I didn't notice mentioned already:

-If the rating is accurate a 23 degree bag is indeed too warm for this time of year, even in the northern section. It has been a pretty hot and humid summer for VT so far, most of next week for the southern third is looking like 80's in the day and low 60's at night, probably closer to low 50's where you'll usually be camping.

-I would definitley leave that second fuel canister at home. There are two well-stocked outfitters in Manchester 50ish miles in, you should make it there on a single large no problem.

mattjv89 - thank you for your input. I agree bag is much heavier than needed but it's what I already owned. I'd love to buy a western mountaineering bag and save a pound there, but I don't have $400 to spare. I could get a cheaper bag for $140 and save 1/2 lb I guess.

wondering if I could just get by on the 100g cannister instead of the 230g until manchester...

Use a couple of 1L repurposed smart water or gatorade bottles for water, and carry the 3L platypus empty. Fill it up when you are ready to make camp for the night, based upon your water needs and proximity to a source.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Use a couple of 1L repurposed smart water or gatorade bottles for water, and carry the 3L platypus empty. Fill it up when you are ready to make camp for the night, based upon your water needs and proximity to a source.
    +1 on this. Lose the rain pants, long underwear, solar charger, luci solar lamp, emergency kit (except for the duct tape and backup purification tablets, keep those), nail clippers and tweezers (get the tiniest swiss army knife and use the tweezers and duct tape from that). You probably won't be wearing the running tights while hiking---too hot. Lose 3rd extra underwear (alternate sets and wash out then safety pin to pack to dry while hiking. If not completely dry, your body heat will dry next day). Like slo-goin points out there's lots of opportunity to shave weight in you clothes bag---Have only one set of clothes for while u do laundry in town (rain jacket on top and light shorts on bottom). Lose the flip-flops (almost a pound!)---you can slip your trail runners on for night-time call of nature. When your trail runners get wet (from dew, rain, or sweat), they will dry pretty quickly from body heat. Keep the fleece (better in wet than down sweater and serves as pillow in clothes sack). A large aluminum tent snow stake ( https://www.rei.com/product/845328/rei-snow-stake) makes a good trowel for cat holes and can replace one of your tent stakes (dual use). Dry the wet wipes in the sun and rehydrate in camp, or lose them altogether and use a bandana and a couple drops of Dr. Bronners (well away from water sources) and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Possibly replace the tent footprint with a piece of tyvek or plastic sheeting cut to size (for use as a ground sheet in shelters and under tent) . Sun hat is unnecessary in woods where you'll be most of the time (you can use a bandanna to cover your head in the day and some sunscreen on your nose if you're sensitive to sun---most of trail is below tree line).

Consider using the notepad feature on your smartphone for journal (in lieu of notepad), but keep the pen for signing registers, etc.

I didn't notice trekking poles. Strongly recommend you consider them. The LT north of Maine Junction where the AT leaves it is, well, very difficult.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

OP, you have way too much weight. You should def take the gear that you already own rather than buying new, but there are options to reduce weight.

I would lose the following gear:

-the sleeping bag liner (you won't need it for warmth, and if its too warm just sleep with the bag open)
    -Thermarest pillow (just use a stuff sack and clothes as a pillow)
    -Quarterdome footprint (camping in VT will be on mud/duff so you don't need to worry about abrasion)
    -the spare cannister (you can buy new along the way in Manchester and probably Rutland)
    -solar charger and power bank (the sun barely shines in the woods so the charger is useless, and the powerbank is only marginally useful because you can recharge your phone in town every 4 or 5 days anyway)
    -solar lamp (again the sun doesn't really shine in the woods so just forget about solar)
    -extra AAA batteries (start with fresh batteries from home, and replace along the way...worst case is you have a dim headlamp for a day or two)
    -space blanket (just keep your bag dry)
    -sunscreen (unless you are a red-headed Irish gal, you don't much need to worry about the sun on the LT as the woods blocks it)
    -trowel (please use the privies as much as possible as the LT has somewhat heavy use...if that's not possible, use your hiking pole to dig a cat hole)
    -hairbrush (this will only be useful in town)
    -sunglasses (the sun barely shines in the woods, so unless your eyes are sensitive UV exposure is not a big issue, but could be useful in town)
    -either the travel towel or the bandanna, you don't really need both
    -gaiters are optional -- Vermont is often muddy, but do you really want to hike in gaiters if it's 75 or 80 degrees in the woods?

With respect to clothing, you are hiking in July, so plan on temps ranging from the high 50s in the morning to the low 80s in the afternoon, night temps in 40s and 50s. You need:

-a lightweight set of clothes for hiking (shorts and t-shirt or the columbia shirt)
    -a set of dry/clean-ish clothes for sleeping (a shirt and perhaps tights...with your 23-degree bag, you won't need much warmth from your sleeping clothes)
    -rain gear
    -one set of tights/pants for use in camp (could be your sleeping tights and your rain jacket can serve to keep you warm when sitting around in the evening)
    -the beanie is optional in July, some people don't like a bare head if the temp drops down into the 40s at night, other people don't mind sleeping with a bare head
    -you don't need a sun hat in the woods, but some people wear a ball cap or a bandanna mainly to keep their hair under control
    -two pairs of underwear and two pairs of socks (start your hike with new-ish socks and you'll be fine)
    -camp shoes are optional, but if you do choose to carry them, I'd recommend that you visit the Dollar Store and buy some fake Crocs to save 5 or 6 ounces

Other considerations:

-you might be able to go lighter on food -- I would probably be around 8 lbs from Williamstown to Manchester, as it's 5 days/4 nights of hiking, so you don't need breakfast the first day or supper the fifth day. You don't really need to carry extra as a contingency plan as there are opportunities to hitch into town if you run out pre-maturely (ie, you can get a hitch on Stratton-Arlington Road if you run out of food).

Have fun!

++ New Posts ++