WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I'm getting all new gear. input?

I think I have the gear I plan to start out with next spring.
    I'm getting a all new set up being everything I own is 15+ years old.
    This is what I plan to get in the next few week that will give me time to play with it before I head to Maine
    input is welcome.

Packing:
    OSPREY EXOS 58
    6L Osprey Ultralight Dry X2
    shelter:
    ECLYPSE II Hammock
    Eagles nest rainfly
    Klymit Static V2 Inflatable
    Summit 800 Fill Power Down
    Cooking:
    MSR MicroRocket Stove
    Vargo Titanium Spork
    TOAKS Titanium 900ml Pot
    Hidration:MSR SweetWater Filter
    Platypus Platy Bottle X4
    Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth X3
    Miss:
    Black Diamond Spot Headlamp

Mama Bear
    [
    It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.
    You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
    there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.]
    [J.R.R. Tolkien
    ]

I'm selling my Klymit Static V Lite if interested (the insulated light-weight one that weighs 19oz). Used twice. Selling for $75 incl. shipping

I'd also recommend the Sawyer Squeeze over almost any filter for the ease of use and being so light. I only carry 2x 1 liter smart water bottles...no need for anything more unless you are heading for the desert. Light and cheap.

BTW...love the quote

- Nalgene bottles, they're unnecessarily heavy for a thru-hiker unless you have a specific reason for using them other than just carrying water. I prefer smartwater bottles and an evernew collapsible bag coupled with my sawyer squeeze filter. Also, nalgene's get pretty grimy when you don't wash em frequently. I get new smart water bottles every other resupply.

- Sporks are overrated, grab yourself a long handled titanium spoon. I actually much prefer wood or lexan over titanium. A more pleasurable eating experience. Gossamer Gear sells a sweet long handled bamboo spoon.

- If your looking into the Osprey Exos, have you also looked into ULA Equipment?

- I believe Dutch over at Dutchwaregear.com is worth getting in touch with if your trying to put together a hammock rig for a thru-hike. He'll take great care of you

all for now! have fun

Journal Entries
    Images

Three Nalgene bottles? Overkill . Four Platypus bottles? Overkill. You can drop some weight with the water filter by getting a Sawyer (NOT the mini), but that's your choice. The MSR is still very good, but you run the risk of mechanical failure, plus there are moving parts to break.

Maybe try starting out with one Platypus soft bottle and two 1L Smartwater bottles. Like fast fox said, the other stuff tends to get nasty after a while, and you'll easily find full size water bottles at every resupply point. Or, if the end of your filter wont fit inside them, go with a Gatorade bottle. That way you can replace them easily when they get nasty (and get a great electrolyte boost).

I have a BD Spot and am going to put it through it's paces on the trail soon. So far, it seems to be a pretty nice lamp.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries
    Images

The Black Diamond spot is a great headlamp, but the button would somehow become depressed for a few seconds inside my pack brain and turn on despite being in lock mode. This blew out quite a few batteries. After that happened more than once, I decided I might need to get something with a better lock.

Nalgene bottles have several uses, but if you're not hiking in Winter and using them to hold boiling water to keep you warmer I'd take something else.

This is a superb opportunity to think about going over to the Dark Side (UL, gasp!) and really lightening your load.

I know this is a total change in concept, but think about walking 2200 miles carrying 45 lbs or 23 lbs, being just as well fed and comfortable, walking fairly easily up hills instead of suffering like a galley slave.

It requires a completely different mindset, and a good starting point is to check out Mike Clelland's videos on youtube. They cover every aspect from pack, shelter, cooking, water, clothing, etc

Images

Pop over to www.hammockforums.net for all the hammock information you will need. The proposed hammock/tarp combo you are looking at is very heavy, there are much light options out there that will suit you better for a long distance hike.

Starting out new id go as light as you can afford! Opinions are like A..holes everyone has one...so here's mine...

Check out ULA, Gossamer gear, zpacks etc...lots of great cottage pack companies out there. Ditch the nalgene unless it's winter and you plan to put hot water in for warming your bag. I prefer a more powerful head lamp as I nigh hike frequently..check out the zebra headlights that run a single aa battery. No need for pack cover and lots of stuff sacks, simply line pack with compactor bag and keep all dry gear inside. Sawyer mini or squeeze work well. 900ml pot seems big for one person but that's personal preference as I just heat water and don't cook. Do your homework...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, why buy a Chinese made pack when there are lotsa good American made alternatives. The pot may be a little small. Use Gatorade 1l bottles and maybe a Platypus 3l colapsable.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    900ml pot seems big for one person but that's personal preference as I just heat water and don't cook. Do your homework...
    Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The pot may be a little small.
    This is why there's no substitute for actually getting out on the trail and doing multi-day training hikes to see what works for you!

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    This is a superb opportunity to think about going over to the Dark Side (UL, gasp!) and really lightening your load.

I know this is a total change in concept, but think about walking 2200 miles carrying 45 lbs or 23 lbs, being just as well fed and comfortable, walking fairly easily up hills instead of suffering like a galley slave.
    This. Fortunately it seems to be 80% about leaving stuff behind rather than dishing out big bucks for UL gear, but if you're buying all new stuff you can definitely shave some weight that way.

For bottles I just carry 2 x 20 oz water/soda bottles, but rarely keep both full.

This is why there's no substitute for actually getting out on the trail and doing multi-day training hikes to see what works for you!
    Haa..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<double-post>
    Last edited by Connie; 07-02-2016 at 10:37.

I avoid night hiking, but even dark clouds and green foliage overhead can darken the trail.

I suggest the Cub baseball hat, made by Panther-Vision.

I have two, in addition to my original REI Trail Cap. Either one uses CR-2032 watch batteries.

The high beams light up the world, the low beam is more than enough for the trails I have been on.

The green or red LED's may be more considerate for a campsight call-of-nature, not waking everyone up at the shelter, for example. I prefer my tiny keychain Photon light. I have their variable illumination model I can adjust by holding in the ON/OFF button.

Journal Entries
    Images

If your looking to go light weight check out Zpacks. I used their ArcBlast pack 52L waterproof and weight 1.6 lbs. I loved it. Just completed a 134 mile shake down hike with it. Also get a Sawyer Squeeze filter. More reliable and way smaller.

Images

+1 on the Klymit pad and Black Diamond headlamp. I use both these items. I pair the Klymit with a z-therm for extra cold weather. It packs down to the size of a nalgene, I found mine new on ebay for around 50$.

Evernew water bladders work perfectly with the Sawyer. I have two of the 900 mL ones. One for dirty water and one as a reservoir when dry camping and as a backup. The I have two Gatorade bottles rescued from the recycling dumpster for drinking while walking..

+1 on the plastic spoon. I have a melamine spoon I got at a kitchen store for a couple bucks. The end of the bowl is mostly flat so it's easy to scrape the last bits of food from the bottom of the pot. Hard to do with a spork.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mamabear17 View Post
    I think I have the gear I plan to start out with next spring.
    I'm getting a all new set up being everything I own is 15+ years old.
    This is what I plan to get in the next few week that will give me time to play with it before I head to Maine
    input is welcome.
    Since you asked for advice I'll give you my input, which is probably repeating a lot of what was already said.

Packing:
    OSPREY EXOS 58
    6L Osprey Ultralight Dry X2
    There are other lighter pack options. The ULA Circuit is my personal favorite in this size category. Don't know what the dry sack is for, but you probably don't need it unless you intend to use it as a food bag.

shelter:
    ECLYPSE II Hammock
    Eagles nest rainfly
    Klymit Static V2 Inflatable
    Summit 800 Fill Power Down
    Can't comment on the hammock as I'm a ground sleeper. As for the pad the Thermarest NeoAir is very popular, and I have one myself. That's another option to consider. The bag may be overkill (I'm assuming this is the RAB Summit). You probably want to get something more in the 20 deg range.

Cooking:
    MSR MicroRocket Stove
    Vargo Titanium Spork
    TOAKS Titanium 900ml Pot
    I use both canister and alcohol stoves, and in my opinion they're similar to where it just comes down to personal preference. I'd get a spoon instead of a spork so you can get that food out of the corners of the pot. I use a 900ml pot, and it's a good size in my opinion. It also doubles as my treatment vessel for water (I use a Steripen).

Hidration:MSR SweetWater Filter
    Platypus Platy Bottle X4
    Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth X3
    I'm a big fan of the Steripen. 90 seconds and the water is treated. The main downside is that it requires batteries and eats 'em up pretty quick (1 set will usually last 10 - 12 days). Most people using filters on the trails these days are using the Sawyer filter. If I were going to go with a filter that's the one I would get. Man, you have lots of water containers. I carry a 20 oz Gatoraide bottle (cause I like the wide mouth), a 1 liter platy and 2 two liter platys. The 1 liter platy is used for treated water, and the 2 liter ones are used for untreated. Makes it a lot easier in camp for my style. I can hit the water source, grab 4 liters of water and do all my treating back at camp. That also gives me plenty of water for evening, the next morning and to rinse off with.

Miss:
    Black Diamond Spot Headlamp
    This is personal preference again, get what you like. I use a Zebralight myself.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

The hammock you've chosen is far too short. You'll need to try a few to determine what will work for you. Ten feet should be the minimum length to consider for camping.
    The tarp you've chosen is far to small, too heavy or to expensive. Multiple ENO tarps to from which to choose but, the preceding applies to all of them. This will be your most important piece of gear; DON'T skimp here.

I have enjoyed multiple versions of the SPOT and I like the performance of the MicroRocket. Those items are likely the only ones on your list I'd choose.

Good Luck

+1

if a 900 cc pot is not big enough, have a great deal on the Toaks 1100
    if 900 cc pot is too big, have a great deal on the Toaks 750

AND

No cathole trowel? What are you thinking? ; )
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++