WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Does anyone use the Map My Hike or AllTrails app for your training hike?

Hey ya'll! I try and hike at least twice a week but several of the places I go do not have any kind of map or if they do, it is strictly a trail map so even though I know I am going up and down hill, I do not know my elevation gains or loss. Has anyone used the above apps for their iphone to record their hiking?

Thanks!

Images

I've played around with Map My Hike app on trail runs and some day hikes. It works good but sucks the battery life out of your phone due to it's constant GPS usage. It does show elevation gain if that is what you are interested in. But you probably can't use it on hikes that are more than 6 hours or so without recharging. At least thats how it performs on my phone. YMMV.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Journal Entries

Thanks! I may give it a shot and just toss a backup battery in my day pack. Good to know about the draining battery.

I have AllTrails, I purchased a subscription to it for $14.99 and wish I could get my money back. In my experience, it freezes while I'm hiking and I noticed the distance it said I was traveling changed from during the hike, to the next day when I opened the app again. Also it does not have many of the places I hike so if I find a new trail and want to know where it goes in advance, its not helpful. Many of the "tracks" other people have posted were located wrong or not complete....BUT, I do find it nice to just turn it on and use it to see where I've been on day hikes (location wise, not exact time or distance).

p.s., it didn't drain the battery on mine if you download the map section before hand, and turn off cell data for the app. Also, at least on an iPhone, the GPS will work in Airplane Mode.

I tried the free version of all trails and didn't care for it. I use map my hike now and am happy with it. But same battery draining issue, although I've never yet used it more than about 2 hours.

Images

Is AllTrails the one Nat Geo now owns? If so, I deleted it. Nothing but a bunch of trails submitted by users. Nothing actually from Nat Geo itself at all.

I found MANY mistakes: wrong names, incomplete trails, stuff that needed a good human editor and fact checker, lack of some major trails, etc.

I paid for a year and wish I could get my money back, but just let it expire and refused to renew when they begged.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

I downloaded them both (free versions) because I wanted to be able to SEE what I've been doing. All Trails has a site but it wont let me access it and the only trail it is showing near me is the Pinhoti. Every Trail doesn't seem to be working anymore although I have found some interesting maps in their archives.

I'm generally not into technology and I don't like it on the trail but, I would like to see my training hikes and possible record some of my trips.

Images

I use 'map my run' when I hike sometimes - yes, it drains the battery, but it's really fun to come home and look it up on the computer - when you log into the website and pull up the maps.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I use 'map my run' when I hike sometimes - yes, it drains the battery, but it's really fun to come home and look it up on the computer - when you log into the website and pull up the maps.
    Didn't realize you could pull it up on the computer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I must be old I carry a Garmin Oregon dedicated GPS. It shows tracks, allows me to plot routes and waypoints, provides an elevation plot too. It runs for 2 days on a pair of AA batteries if I don't obsess on the dashboard. Also, and important to me since I tend to just wander sometimes, it allows me to "track back"

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I use Backcountry Navigator, and I have buddies that use Gaia GPS. They're both decent. The state of trail maps in this country is pretty dismal, I'm afraid, wherever you get them from. That's one reason I spend so much time working on OpenStreetMap: if citizen-mappers don't make the maps, they aren't going to get made.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I've used AllTrails and found it lacking in features and it's $$$. My favorite is Gaia GPS on the iPhone. I believe it's available for android phones as well. Syncs across all my devices and has a web interface. I use it with CalTopo and am able to import/export gpx files. It also provides some good map choices. Get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I use Backcountry Navigator, and I have buddies that use Gaia GPS. They're both decent. The state of trail maps in this country is pretty dismal, I'm afraid, wherever you get them from. That's one reason I spend so much time working on OpenStreetMap: if citizen-mappers don't make the maps, they aren't going to get made.
    + 1 to these!! They rock.

By comparison, both All Trails and Map My run/hike/ride suck for back country navigation.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

If your an Android user, I found "ViewRanger GPS" to work well and you can download free detailed topo "Open Cycle" maps by the grid for use off line. These maps primarily highlight bike paths, but also show most trails. They show all the White Mountain trails for sure.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++