WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Late Season Hiker Numbers?

I was forced to suspend my NOBO thru-hike after almost 600 miles due to an injury. As a result, I’ve had hip replacement surgery. I’m considering continuing my hike starting in mid-September with the goal of reaching Harpers Ferry by late October. My question, are there many hikers on the trail at that time of year? I don’t mind a little solitude, but for safety reasons, it would be nice to see a few people from time to time.

The only "thru hikers" your likely to meet there would be SOBO's thrus or flip floppers. There could well be other section hikers doing more or less what your doing at the same time. The trail will likely be pretty quiet during the week, but it's unlikely that you'll be too lonely.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I plan to go NOBO from Springer in late August for a few months, and from what I've gathered, it does appear that I, and you, will be quite "lonely" for the most part. I won't be going all the way through, but I would like to make it to Pennsylvania in a couple months and be back home early to mid November.

I have photos of my grandchildren and a snowman taken on Halloween in Boone, NC. Be prepared. Be warm.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++