WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting to the summit of Katadhin?

I'm just curious if anyone knows if there are other easier, shorter trails to get to the top of katahdin. I'd really like for my mom to be up there, but....she's not much of a hiker. I have no idea what it looks like from a perspective of driving and taking a short trail to the top. Any knowledge or suggestions on where to look would be much appreciated

There is no easy way to the top of Katahdin, I'm afraid. The Hunt Trail, which is the route the AT takes, is 5.1 miles to the top from the nearest parking near Katahdin Stream Campground, and it involves having to use your hands as well as your feet on the most difficult parts. Other routes, because of length or ruggedness or both, have the reputation of being no easier for a day hike.,
    Last edited by map man; 06-28-2016 at 22:49.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    There is no easy way to the top of Katahdin, I'm afraid. The Hunt Trail, which is the route the AT takes, is 5.1 miles to the top from the nearest parking near Katahdin Stream Campground, and it involves having to use your hands as well as your feet on the most difficult parts. Other routes, because of length or ruggedness or both, have the reputation of being no easier for a day hike.,
    This is correct. NOBOs can ascend and return in about 6 hours, new hikers take 8 - 12 hours, about half of that time is hand over hand. Even the easiest trail (Saddle Trail) takes most of a day to access and return, and is very strenuous.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

What Mapman said. All the trails are rated as very strenous. Abol is the shortest, but its also very steep and exposed to the sun almost the entire distance. Its an old slide so its sandy and rocky. It just reopened this week. Katahdin isnt for novice hikers.

See if she likes South Turner Mountain, instead.

Journal Entries

The reason chimney pond campground is so popular, is the saddle route is the easiest way to the top. Plenty of kids and families summit katahdin. To get reservation there you got to do it the day it becomes available though.

Easiest.....not easy. Still continuous uphill climb for 2+ miles. And of course you have to hike 3 miles into the campground first the day before.

Basically, no, you cant drive and take a short trail to the top.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-29-2016 at 06:15.

I agree, no easy options. Even the Saddle trail has steep boulder section followed by loose gravel slide.

There is great restaurant at New England Outdoors with a view of the summit post hike. If you are being met by family, its great excuse to hike over o the east side of the mountain via the knife edge and down Helon Taylor to Roaring Brook. As you are probably aware, the park discourages parties at the summit.

The other thing to be aware of that parking is very limited at the trailheads. If the folks meeting you plan to park and wait for you, they need a day use parking pass which require reservations in advance and I would suggest calling the park as unless they get there before 7:30 AM, the pass they reserve may be given to another day hiker.

On the other hand, you can pretty much drive to the high point of the AT at Clingman's Dome.

What everyone else said. AT (Hunt Trail) is probably the easiest, most direct route. A lean-to at Chimney Pond can make it a little easier but requires advance reservations, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, the climb from Katahdin Stream campground to the top of Katahdin is the single largest vertical on the AT.

Hunt Trail has a lot of serious rock scrambles as well. You really want the best possible weather for that climb, and a minimal pack. Trekking poles are useless on that stretch. You'll need both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the climb from Katahdin Stream campground to the top of Katahdin is the single largest vertical on the AT.
    You aren't. It's only the middle three miles you need your hands. The first and last mile is fairly flat. The majoity of that 4188 foot elevation gain is within three miles. Thankfully, there are a couple small flats spots you can stop and rest within that three miles.

Think about that before you try dragging your non-hiking mother up Katahdin. 1000 feet per mile is considered fairly steep. You will have three miles of that, interruped by very few rest areas. But, the views are amazing!

I remember laughing out loud (it was either that or cry) as I got higher up. It is often said that parts of Katahdin are "nearly technical" climbing, meaning it is steep and difficult enough to "nearly" require special equipment and skills...well I can tell you, there were a couple of spots just below The Gateway where I thought that phrase should be amended to say, "you'll want special equipment and skills if you have any sense at all!"

And getting to the summit is only half the day, maybe less -- coming back down can be harder and take longer. And it's not optional.

Obviously it can be done -- young, old, blind, and disabled have all done it, and do it every year. It's just not a walk in the park.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

chimeny pond trail on the backside of Katadhin as I recall its roughly 2.5 miles up the backside there are bunk houses at the pond but are hard to come by

There was some talk of an escalator, but funding is problematic....

If she's not much of a hiker, don't let her anywhere near Katahdin. Katahdin Creek campground is a nice place to wait for you to come down.

Having said that, one day I climbed down Katahdin to meet a huge group of small children (from a local camp) climbing up the hardest part, with no adults in sight. So anything is possible I guess...

Images

If "she's not much of a hiker" any route may be to difficult for her. The heat and cold also have to be factored in as you near the peak, depending on when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    If she's not much of a hiker, don't let her anywhere near Katahdin. Katahdin Creek campground is a nice place to wait for you to come down.

Having said that, one day I climbed down Katahdin to meet a huge group of small children (from a local camp) climbing up the hardest part, with no adults in sight. So anything is possible I guess...
    Yup. I saw youngsters having a blast, not a care to the world, on Knife Edge. Kids don't know fear, but we did, at least a little...

I somehow zipped up and back down K (from KSC) the last time up. And then walked a few more miles to Daicey Pond. On sheer adrenaline, I think. Eons ago.

I'll just echo what others have said. Climbing to the summit of Mount Katahdin (Baxter Peak) and back is a strenuous all day affair. Probably the shortest route is via the Abol trail but that is very, very steep and rocky. I have never hiked that trail nor would I ever. The AT climbs via the Hunt Trail. It's five miles from Katahdin Stream Campground (closest road access) one way to the top and a hard climb even for AT through hikers. You gain about 4000 feet in one mile! You'd want to start before 8 am to have enough daylight to hike comfortably. The other way up is via the Knife Edge.. and if you are looking for an easyish hike we don't even need to discuss this trail.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I'll just echo what others have said. Climbing to the summit of Mount Katahdin (Baxter Peak) and back is a strenuous all day affair. Probably the shortest route is via the Abol trail but that is very, very steep and rocky. I have never hiked that trail nor would I ever. The AT climbs via the Hunt Trail. It's five miles from Katahdin Stream Campground (closest road access) one way to the top and a hard climb even for AT through hikers. You gain about 4000 feet in one mile! You'd want to start before 8 am to have enough daylight to hike comfortably. The other way up is via the Knife Edge.. and if you are looking for an easyish hike we don't even need to discuss this trail.
    Umm, not quite, but even 1000' feet per mile feels pretty vertical.

Images

Just a FYI - Abol trail has been closed the past few years due to unsafe terrain from a rock slide. May reopen this year. Trail from Katahdin Stream to Chimney pond - a great hike and is 3.3 miles. (know from years of hiking it). If you can secure a day parking place at Katahdin Stream Camp ground it would be a beautiful hike for your mother to hike up to Chimney Pond. Still rocky trail, but no hand to hand climbing. If you wanted to meet her you could descend from Baxter peak down the Saddle Trail to Chimney pond or across Knife Edge to Pamola Peak and down Dudley Trail to chimney pond (tougher and longer trip than Saddle but nice to experience Knife's edge weather permitting.) Chimney pond is a beautiful spot to wait and watch folks crossing Knife's edge and up at Baxter peak. Have her bring binoculars. Katahdin is not a mountain for inexperienced hikers. There are no easy trails to the summit. Good luck on your hike.

Abol trail reopened recently. The last two weeks or so.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....escription.pdf
    Last edited by egilbe; 07-07-2016 at 05:52.

Quote Originally Posted by kizzybean View Post
    Just a FYI - Abol trail has been closed the past few years due to unsafe terrain from a rock slide. May reopen this year. Trail from Katahdin Stream to Chimney pond - a great hike and is 3.3 miles. (know from years of hiking it). If you can secure a day parking place at Katahdin Stream Camp ground it would be a beautiful hike for your mother to hike up to Chimney Pond. Still rocky trail, but no hand to hand climbing. If you wanted to meet her you could descend from Baxter peak down the Saddle Trail to Chimney pond or across Knife Edge to Pamola Peak and down Dudley Trail to chimney pond (tougher and longer trip than Saddle but nice to experience Knife's edge weather permitting.) Chimney pond is a beautiful spot to wait and watch folks crossing Knife's edge and up at Baxter peak. Have her bring binoculars. Katahdin is not a mountain for inexperienced hikers. There are no easy trails to the summit. Good luck on your hike.
    I think you may have mixed up Katahdin Stream with Roaring Brook. I agree the hike from Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond is something far more manageable and a good spot to meet a thru hiker. The summit is visible from Chimney Pond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++