WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Should I worry about bears or mice getting into my food?

I'm gearing up to go from Springer Mt to Wesser next month. Ursack minor or AllWhite for food?

I just sleep with mine. Use it as a pillow.

Your a braver man than I...

Yep. . . . . . .

Journal Entries

Should I worry about bears or mice getting into my food?

Yes

Mice first, then bears, then moocherz 😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Definitely mice first. But proper hanging and all will ensure the safety of your food. (Even though I've been known to sleep with mine at times).
    - Trail name: Thumper

The mice decided the hat that a fellow hiker didn't secure properly made good nesting material. He found a large hole in his wool hat in the morning. You could hear the little bugger's running through the shelter roof so night

that's a good point in regards to what mice will "get". It's not just your food... they'll tear up some wool, toilet paper, etc...

u.w.

Ursak Minor will work great. I've been using mine successfully for years.

Images

I'd worry more about the gnats,stinging nettles and the sweltering humidity.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

sounds much like chicago in the summer.... well not tat much stinging nettle

Hang your food PCT method (many videos available for technique) and you probably won't have to worry about either. I wouldn't bother with any kind of special bear sack or can. I just use a large food sack from Z-Packs.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I never got the point of the Ursak. So the bear can't get it's teeth through the bag, and you're left with a bag full of crushed food covered in bear drool? Unless you hang it, then it's just a bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I never got the point of the Ursak. So the bear can't get it's teeth through the bag, and you're left with a bag full of crushed food covered in bear drool? Unless you hang it, then it's just a bag?
    It's for protection from critters (Ursak Minor), NOT bears. If you properly hang your Ursak Minor from bear cables or via the PCT method, your food should be mostly safe from most risks IMHO.

Ursack s.29.3 is for bears. To make it completely bear proof, there is an aluminium insert that slides into the bag. Ursack minor is for protection against vermin.

I've seen mice jump from a sitting position from the floor of a shelter up into the rafters. Shelter mice are acrobats. They will find a way to get into your food no matter how well you try to hide it or protect it. If you see a bear, count yourself lucky. Most people never see one. Sleep with your food. If you have the food the bear thinks its yours. If they find it hanging in a tree, they will think its theirs.

The only time I had a mouse problem was when I sat down to take a break at a shelter in the middle of the day in the middle of New York. @#$% mouse/squirrel/chipmunk got into my pack and at my last snack.

Mice are definitely the biggest concern for me. I don't stay at shelters overnight which helps me avoid pest issues, and I have a turkey roaster bag that is impermeable to odor. I also drape my sweaty clothes over my plastic covered food bag to mask the odor even more. I don't like hanging food on anything but bear cables because mice or squirrels always seem to get in there by climbing down the line. I prefer to keep my food bag close to me, but not in my tent. Only time I had mice eat my food was at a shelter and I hung my bag on a peg without the odor barrier. Ursack thing should be fine, but for maximum pest control, avoid sleeping at shelters.

++ New Posts ++