WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The nice thing about September and October in the west is the lack of crowds after Labor Day.
    For a first timer, the CDT may be an easier logistical solution. Maybe. Good luck.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Oh man, from my research it seems the CDT is the big kahuna of the country. Much experience needed. Maybe I am wrong

Have you read this?
    http://www.guthookhikes.com/?s=Arizona+&submit=Search
    Wayne

I did now! Positives I take away: there is an established Guthooks GPS map for smartphone. Solitude is of the utmost. And it seems absolutely beautiful. Other take aways: some have claimed this is harder than any Triple Crown Trail...

Images

How about the Benton MacKaye Trail? Similar territory to the AT, but much quieter.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    How about the Benton MacKaye Trail? Similar territory to the AT, but much quieter.
    That's a great suggestion but I guess I should've mentioned my goal is to be out on a trail for 60 days. 300 miles would probably not be too suitable for this. But good suggestion nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    This Arizona Trail is looking more and more appealing. Almost like you have the whole trail to yourself. Is it okay for a first time hiker though? Or a little bit on the challenging side?
    I have not done the entire Arizona Trail, but have done several parts. Like you said, the "challenging side" is making sure you carry enough water. Those who get in trouble on the Arizona trail do so for lack of water.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Oh man, from my research it seems the CDT is the big kahuna of the country. Much experience needed. Maybe I am wrong
    Yes. Of course. One can not hike the CDT until after you have paid your dues on the AT and PCT. Right. For a thru hike, perhaps. For 2 months, not so much.
    Naturally, Guthook has an app for that.
    On second thought, the Internet myth is correct. The trail will remain uncrowded while everyone follows the conventional wisdom.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I skipped over this thread because you said "winter time".... September-November sure ain't winter, but as has already been implied, it's the perfect time of year to spend in the Southwest USA, southern Utah & Arizona in particular. As has been said, yep, do that AZ trail! I sure am planning on it. Or, hit the CDT southbound, starting in the San Juans of Colorado in September, perfect time of year. Or the desert portion of the PCT, all good stuff. Heck, start at a convenient place in the sierras and head south, snow and cold is not usually an issue until mid-late October, just stay flexible on your starting point if they get an early dump (same advice if you do a CDT section starting in Colorado).

Best hiking time of the year, hands down, IMO, here out west.

Post #13 and #27. San Juan mountains SOBO.
    Rob knows.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Lone Star Trail

http://lonestartrail.org/

Garlic
    Images

A first-timer on the AZT should count on spending substantial extra time, money and effort on logistics, mainly placing water caches by car--preferably with high clearance and AWD. If you don't or can't do this, you should be experienced in desert hiking, including up to 40-mile water carries.

Travel to the termini is more difficult/expensive than with some other trails.

That is the perfect time frame for a SOBO AZT hike, and the solitude quotient is very high most of the way.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

It might not be long enough but perhaps consider the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama and Georgia.

Journal Entries

Just pointing out the AT and PCT have been winter hiked.

99.9% of us are 3 season hikers. But that 4th has a lot to offer. Just takes another gear set, and mindset. A little experience and common sense dont hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dynamite~ View Post
    Not for 60 days. Not unless it dries out one of these years. Not until they get a bridge over the river.
    Wayne

Damascus to Springer would be a good Sept-Nov hike. As a novice LD hiker, the AT offers the advantage of being logistically easy with many points to resupply or to bail out and go home from if something goes wrong or the reality doesn't match up with the fantasy. You can tent as much as you want (but will quickly discover the value of the shelters on rainy nights). You won't be totally alone, but you can find as much solitude as you want and while there will likely be others at the shelter or campsites at night, you'll probably find yourself alone many times.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I haven't seen the Oregon Desert Trail mentioned yet. It would also be fine in late fall/early winter.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I haven't seen the Oregon Desert Trail mentioned yet. It would also be fine in late fall/early winter.
    Wow, this look awesome. Never knew high desert was a thing.

I gotta ask...
    What's wrong with your original plan starting on September 1? Possibly reversing directions? California and Oregon won't suddenly become buried under several feet of snow on September 1. Or even November 1.
    A curious mind wants to know.
    Wayne

I gotta ask...
    What's wrong with your original plan starting on September 1? Possibly reversing directions? California and Oregon won't suddenly become buried under several feet of snow on September 1. Or even November 1.
    A curious mind wants to know.
    Wayne

Happy you bring this up, but I was under the impression once October hits the chance of snow storms arrive in the Sierras and north. Otherwise, I would love to stick to the original plan if I am medically released by September. (was in a car accident last December)

There's early 1-6 snow that is here today and gone tomorrow and much easier to contend with. Then there are 1-3 feet snowfalls that are a bit less pleasant.
    Do some homework. Look at snowfall on both ends. Make your own decision.
    Wayne

Should be 1-6 INCH snowfall.
    Personally, but I've never seen the west coast mountains in October, I don't think snow in October would be a problem. Sure, it can snow in any month, but I have never been bothered by snowfall from July to October. It happens, just like rain, and it's over and you move on.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++