WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You might consider putting together 60-days hike on the Pacific Northwest Trail..
    They have trail section GPS and there is a PNT forum.
    Tell your preferences: little or no road-walk, availability of water, scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    You might consider putting together 60-days hike on the Pacific Northwest Trail..
    They have trail section GPS and there is a PNT forum.
    Tell your preferences: little or no road-walk, availability of water, scenic.
    Preferences:

1. Solitude
    2. Less Road
    3. Water availibility would help. Definitely won't be caching. And just would be nice to not stress too much about water, but I am confident I can prep accordingly. So not deal breaker.
    4. Scenic would be great, but not something I need to be attached too.
    5. Something out West just for diversity. I have only been to San Francisco and didn't see too much nature.

I already have a Stratospire 1 (shout out to Henry Shires. He has answered his phone twice on the first call and helped me. Awesome customer service)

I already have a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag. Also great customer service. The got me the back a month early.

Truth be known, September and October are perfectly fine for hiking virtually anywhere in North America. In a one in a million freaky weather year you might get weather to bad for hiking near the end of October. No big deal.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Truth be known, September and October are perfectly fine for hiking virtually anywhere in North America. In a one in a million freaky weather year you might get weather to bad for hiking near the end of October. No big deal.
    Wayne

Well this is inspiring. Maybe I can stick to Tahoe to Crater Lake like planned. But of course all up to how the body heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Well this is inspiring. Maybe I can stick to Tahoe to Crater Lake like planned. But of course all up to how the body heals.
    Good luck with the healing process. I know that can get tedious and you want to be well Now!
    I also mentioned possibly reversing direction. Both Crater Lake and Lassen National Parks will have a ton of weather data on record. The Lake Tahoe area as well Contact them directly and get an idea of what the last half of October is like. Coming from Florida, you might think that all snow is lethal. Not so. 3"-6" snow events may happen in October. They can be beautiful and melt away in a day or two. Just more adventure.
    Based on your weather research, plan to finish on the end with the best weather the last half of October.
    Just a hunch and a guess. Lake Tahoe. I'm probably wrong.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Anyone have experience in southern Oregon during mid to late October. I see average snowfall is 21 inches for the month.

Temps 30 to 50 degrees.

Images

Anyone have experience in southern Oregon during mid to late October. I see average snowfall is 21 inches for the month.

Temps 30 to 50 degrees.
    I'd absolutely stay away from the PAC NW that time of year.

Stay south, young man! Lots of options already mentioned, start somewhere in the middle (north/south-wise), like in the Sierra (on the PCT) or southern Colorado (on the CDT) and head south. Daylight is also a factor; the days will be mighty short up north come October/November, couple hours longer in the southern US. Basically: Hike with autumn! (much like the AT is "hiking with spring").

Good luck with the healing process. I know that can get tedious and you want to be well Now!
    I also mentioned possibly reversing direction. Both Crater Lake and Lassen National Parks will have a ton of weather data on record. The Lake Tahoe area as well Contact them directly and get an idea of what the last half of October is like. Coming from Florida, you might think that all snow is lethal. Not so. 3"-6" snow events may happen in October. They can be beautiful and melt away in a day or two. Just more adventure.
    Based on your weather research, plan to finish on the end with the best weather the last half of October.
    Just a hunch and a guess. Lake Tahoe. I'm probably wrong.
    Wayne

Good info Wayne. I'll look into it. And thanks for the sympathy haha. Just had hand surgery today. Should be the last!

Good to hear. Now November is a different story right?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'd absolutely stay away from the PAC NW that time of year.

Stay south, young man! Lots of options already mentioned, start somewhere in the middle (north/south-wise), like in the Sierra (on the PCT) or southern Colorado (on the CDT) and head south. Daylight is also a factor; the days will be mighty short up north come October/November, couple hours longer in the southern US. Basically: Hike with autumn! (much like the AT is "hiking with spring").
    Oh man good point on day light. Reversing directions now becomes relevant.

Oh man good point on day light. Reversing directions now becomes relevant.
    15-20 minutes difference. Might be noticed. Might not. Early heavy snow would be noticed. Confirm late October weather with the park staff.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Images

15-20 minutes difference. Might be noticed. Might not. Early heavy snow would be noticed. Confirm late October weather with the park staff.
    Good luck.
    For mid-November, the difference between Washington and AZ is over an hour of daylight. But yeah, the snow/cold is much more of a factor.

For mid-November, the difference between Washington and AZ is over an hour of daylight. But yeah, the snow/cold is much more of a factor.
    If all goes well I can get out to Crater lake early September, and work my way down through the Sierras working with autumn.

Images

Sounds good. Giver 'er a go. If you hit early lousy weather in the Sierra (say, mid-late October), just skip down to lower elevations and south of there and continue on. I might be hitting a big section of the southern PCT this fall myself.

If all goes well I can get out to Crater lake early September, and work my way down through the Sierras working with autumn.
    If it were me, and it's not, I would hit the trail in Crater Lake, NP September 1.
    Wish I could be there, but I have plans to be goofing off around Highland Mary Lakes, the CDT and Chicago Basin at the same time.
    Get well soon. Have a great hike.
    Wayne

If it were me, and it's not, I would hit the trail in Crater Lake, NP September 1.
    Wish I could be there, but I have plans to be goofing off around Highland Mary Lakes, the CDT and Chicago Basin at the same time.
    Get well soon. Have a great hike.
    Wayne

Thanks man. Likewise to you too. I'm sure the CDT will be spectacular.

Sounds good. Giver 'er a go. If you hit early lousy weather in the Sierra (say, mid-late October), just skip down to lower elevations and south of there and continue on. I might be hitting a big section of the southern PCT this fall myself.
    Definitely a solid plan. Let me ask: think a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag will do well for this hike?

I ask cause I was thinking maybe a 10 degree could fair better

Images

Definitely a solid plan. Let me ask: think a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag will do well for this hike?
    I'd be taking my Katabatic gear 23 deg rated bag, your solid 20 should do great.

I'd be taking my Katabatic gear 23 deg rated bag, your solid 20 should do great.
    Woohoo.. Zpacks ftw

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++