WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO LT Thru-hike Starting August 13th

Hey Everyone,

I'll be starting my thru-hike of the LT on 8/13 and have until 9/5 to complete it. I have hiked exclusively in the Whites and I'm looking forward to what the Green mountains have to offer. I'm still working on sorting out some of my gear. I'll be using my hammock and need to decide if I want to get a new one or rock the one I have. I need to pick up a 20* top quilt because all I have right now is a 0* and a 40*. The 40* might be ok for the beginning of the trip but likely won't cut it for the entire hike.

If anyone else is starting around this time, let me know and maybe we can link up. Cheers everyone

Rob

Images

I plan to start southbound a little before you so I'm sure we will pass somewhere

I think you would be okay with the 40* set. Just bring a puffy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NHWhites View Post
    If anyone else is starting around this time, let me know and maybe we can link up. Cheers everyone

Rob
    In mid August you will have plenty of company NOBO on the LT...
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm jealous, wish I was going then too. Planning to start NoBo around 1st week of September.

I think you would be just fine with that 40* bag, just bring along a puffy or synthetic jacket. August temps along the LT will likely still be very warm.
    my past hikes on the LT, I didn't experience cold temps til mid Sept, with an occasional dip into the 30s-40s in early Sept

have a great hike

Thanks for the advice on the 40* being sufficient. I'll definitely have a puffy. My UQ is rated for 25* so I'm pretty confident I'll survive lol.

I'm not worried about hiking alone. I do most of my hikes solo as it is. I'm sure by the time I finish the first 100 miles, I'll be ready for fewer hikers around

Yukon, I'll start looking for your around Killington

Just a few more days...lord give me strength to make it through the work week

Images

Just a few more days...lord give me strength to make it through the work week
    Yeah, totally understand. Can't think about anything else....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The trail has been wet so far, both rain and humidity. I'm hoping to catch a break over the next few days

I moved up my LT hike plans. Starting NoBo this Thursday Aug 18th. No end to this summer heat and humidity in Florida.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I moved up my LT hike plans. Starting NoBo this Thursday Aug 18th. No end to this summer heat and humidity in Florida.
    Perfect timing...we have some good weather coming up !!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Today was beautiful. I watched the sunset on top of Killington

I finished my thruhike on 9/2. It was quite an experience. There were lots of ups and downs, literally, figuratively, physically and emotionally. I met a lot of great people which really makes an experience like this even more special and rewarding

congrats! I started in Cheshire, MA on 8/18 and hiked to US-4 at Killington before needing to return to FL on 8/26. I always love hiking in Vermont. Glad you had a great hike. The AT/LT was crowded in southern VT in late August, lots of AT thrus and college orientation groups.

I finished my thruhike on 9/2. It was quite an experience. There were lots of ups and downs, literally, figuratively, physically and emotionally. I met a lot of great people which really makes an experience like this even more special and rewarding

++ New Posts ++