WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vandal banned from national parks

Images

I hope she gets a heavy fine. And they should give her some graffiti like tatto STUPID across her forehead in big letters. People like her really piss me off.

Images

Yeah, horrible. 200 hours of public service ain't enough of a punishment, IMHO. "banned" from national parks? How they going to do that? ID's aren't checked on entry.

The worst defacement I've ever heard of is this classic white trash a-hole boy scout "leader" destroying a formation in Goblin Valley SP in Utah:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4122488.html

She doesn't seem repentant or even regretful.

https://www.instagram.com/theofficialcreepytings/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, horrible. 200 hours of public service ain't enough of a punishment, IMHO. "banned" from national parks? How they going to do that? ID's aren't checked on entry.

The worst defacement I've ever heard of is this classic white trash a-hole boy scout "leader" destroying a formation in Goblin Valley SP in Utah:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4122488.html
    Former boyscout leader. The organization booted the men as soon as they learned of the incident.

Best part is that at the time if the incident Goblin toppler himself was suing someone "serious, permanent and debilitating injuries."" Relating to a car crash. He filed the suit just weeks before hiking into the desert and getting filmed pushing over a giant boulder.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/22/us/utah-boulder-boy-scouts/
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It's certainly not a victimless crime. It's effing rude, ignorant and disrespectful.

But in the overall spectrum of criminality, I won't lose much sleep over it.

What kind of genetic coding malfunction makes people do this?
    I wouldn't be surprised if she does it again.
    Meanwhile, we are giving her the global notoriety she seeks. We are enablers.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs down What the ban entails

> "banned" from national parks? How they going to do that?
    > ID's aren't checked on entry.

True, but note that this ban is part of her probation. If she's found within any area administered by the National Parks Service -- including Independence Hall or the Statue of Liberty -- she's violated the terms of her probation. Which means she goes to jail. This may not stop her -- after all, she obviously lacks any intelligence, decency, or morality -- but it does mean that the Park Rangers don't have to find her in the act of vandalism to throw her in jail, they just have to find her in a park.

Journal Entries
    Images

She is a criminal. Hopefully she will change.

I didn't want to see petrogylphs behind a screened fence, so I asked where I could see petroglyphs untouched.

It was an intense experience, involving communication that relies on the vastness of the terrain, and, on the magnificence of the view. I had only seen photographs: actually seeing and experiencing the petroglyphs is an intense experience, with much more meaning than expected. It put me in touch with the people's lives, in unexpected ways.

I have seen other people take a look and pull away, I think because they reject something so different from their experience. It is not foreign, or alien, but a different perception of a place. Not frightening, just showing the viewer the particular place you are standing in, what it is to be standing where you are.

I saw one showing species of existing animals, if the land was verdant. It was verdant, when the thin mat of green they had to be able to see living and growing in a small patch "terraced" outdoors enrout up to a cliff dwelling National Monument, I visited next, that was growing on the Arizona desert before numerous livestock hoofs cut the land.

I had stayed there, most of the day, realizing what these animals travelled thru there and those animals were there and there as the position of the existing boulders and the petrogylph showed all that, as well as, revealing the lives of the people that lived near, actually where and how they lived - all without a diorama exhibit in a museum - that fails to connect to the living reality.

I felt transported to their experience.

The painted rocks are not "rock art" or "tagging" but are so much more. The communication to be experienced there is on a much deeper and more complete level than graphic art or illustration, and I started in graphic art.

Me? I have only once or twice seen "art" that even slightly compares: petroglyphs are not "art".

They are protected, because the only way to experience them is to be there.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-23-2016 at 08:05.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    > "banned" from national parks? How they going to do that?
    > ID's aren't checked on entry.

True, but note that this ban is part of her probation. If she's found within any area administered by the National Parks Service -- including Independence Hall or the Statue of Liberty -- she's violated the terms of her probation. Which means she goes to jail. This may not stop her -- after all, she obviously lacks any intelligence, decency, or morality -- but it does mean that the Park Rangers don't have to find her in the act of vandalism to throw her in jail, they just have to find her in a park.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if she ends up "forgetting" and posting pictures from another restricted site. She's an attention seeker, so no doubt there will be more "look at me" shenanigans to come.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries
    Images

IMO, this is not a forgivable offense. Banning from the park is one thing, but she should be slapped with fines for each defacement to send a message and bring LNT to the forefront. The last thing I want to see when climbing a peak or investigating a distant crag is this entitled little @#$@#$'s doodling on the landscape. The other thing is.. she's no Basquiat. Her "art" wouldn't even look good in a subway bathroom.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up You may be happy to know

> she should be slapped with fines for each defacement

As stated in the original article
    "A hearing to determine the amount of restitution Nocket is required to pay will be held at a later date."
    This is in addition to the 200 hours of community service she'll be required to perform. Personally, I'd love to see her cleaning out-houses in public parks, or producing a public service announcement about the disgusting evil of vandalizing national parks.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 06-23-2016 at 13:17.

Journal Entries

It's just another blaring sign of the total lack of respect epidemic that has infected our world.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Images

At least what she did will fade (and I'm NOT condoning nor justifying her vile conduct). Climate change and mountaintop removal by the fossil fuel industry? Not so much. She grew up in a culture that says it's okay to defile nature.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    At least what she did will fade (and I'm NOT condoning nor justifying her vile conduct). Climate change and mountaintop removal by the fossil fuel industry? Not so much. She grew up in a culture that says it's okay to defile nature.
    ya know what's crazy about all that stuff though, it did happen on our watch and we grew up with it too, and in many cases they were givin' permits to remove said mountains, all nice and legal like, crazy ain't it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    If they have it their way they'll be destroying more soon:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2093281...ist-has-begun?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If they have it their way they'll be destroying more soon:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2093281...ist-has-begun?
    It parallels what Bill Bryson said about the National Forest Service in "A Walk in the Woods".
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    It parallels what Bill Bryson said about the National Forest Service in "A Walk in the Woods".
    ya know, we could put a road in there.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    It's just another blaring sign of the total lack of respect epidemic that has infected our world.
    Defacing public areas with crappy art is nothing new...

I'd post some examples from Pompeii, but they are rather non-family friendly. (Features a slightly NSFW Roman fresco)

Not excusing what Casey did, but it is not exactly the harbinger of the end times. Rather it shows there have, and always will be, knuckleheads. And that young people have not changed much in 2000 years.
    Last edited by Mags; 06-23-2016 at 21:39.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++